Mk3 Jetta Tdi trunk latch issue

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta TDI SportWagen
Scenario: I press my trunk switch...hear the trunk latch unlock but then it seems to slowly lock back into place (you can hear the latch working...as in unlocking but then slowly coming back to the locked position).

Is there any way to adjust the latching mechanism on the trunk so it doesnt do this?

Thanks for your help/advice!

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
okay...update. Removed the lining and watched the lock mechanism work (all looks normal..no missing/broken parts). All the parts look normal and are clean...

the only thing that seems odd is the actuating lever assembly thing (sorry for the non technical terms) actuator moves outward of its assembly when the trunk release button is pressed...but shortly after moves back towards the assembly after the button is released (you can hear the lock going back to the locked position). I would think that there is supposed to be a timed delay before the actuator moves back to the closed position....am i wrong? From the look of things or my attempted troubleshooting...it looks like the assembly that has the actuator needs to be replaced.

Anyone want to clue me in on what to look for or from what i described what would seem to be the problem?

Thanks...its for a mk3 jetta tdi

Last edited:

chrisfiat

Veteran Member
TDI
97 jetta
as the lock un locks the lid should spring open a little if this is not happening then look at the latch assy , weak spring in there?

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
There is enough pressure differential remaining acting on the diaphragm to re-lock the mechanism. The rod end of the diaphragm chamber, I believe, is vented to atmosphere. Pressure from the pump pushes the diaphragm and rod to unlock, but the motion pressurizes the rod end. As the pump side pressure relaxes, this rod end of the chamber pressure then pushes back, pulling the rod and re-locking.
It's a guess, but I think it's plausible.

dr.diesle

Veteran Member
TDI
92 golf tdi/01 golf tdi /02 golf tdi/04 jetta wagon tdi/vanagon westy tdi
try some lube in latch you can watch it work by opening hatch and closeing latch and get someone to press switch and watch it is there still plastic around the stricker pin?

dr.diesle

Veteran Member
TDI
92 golf tdi/01 golf tdi /02 golf tdi/04 jetta wagon tdi/vanagon westy tdi
the pin that stikes the latch kinda like baseball I'd use hockey as an example but most americans dont understand that...

cfm56

Veteran Member
TDI
:) i know what hockey is.

I'll take a look at it when i get a chance. Thanks