NHTSA Update on CR HPFP failure investigation

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
VW hat meinen '14 Passat TDiSE getötet.
Yup, the ignore list is your friend . . . in your control panel->settings->edit ignore list and add the member name you want to wave goodbye to.

- Tim
Thanks, that came in handy :D!!!!!

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I love that one of them was a MKV Jetta

DasTeknoViking

Veteran Member
TDI
B4 TDi, A4 R32
I got a coworker who just left Audi and he told me they do Q7 TDi all the time... But here is the catch. A lot of them actually take out the engine when the pump seizes up. What happens is the HPFP is cam driven, if it seizes up it throws the cam timing out of wack, valves come in contact with the pistons and create a nice scenario. My buddy just had this same thing happen to his Q7 and Audi told him to pound sand after having 3 pumps fail in his 60k of ownership since New. Insurance got involved and they totalled the car because it needed a new fuel system again, and a motor. This of course is a 3.0 V6 TDi.

Oh they just got a 2014 Q5 in which needed a whole system replaced too. VAG tells the dealers to keep playing stupid while the general public drives around in ticking time bombs.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Welcome to tdiclub! Find and read the recent Infineum diesel fuel report and testing. Our fuel here is not of bad quality. Yes our spec is worse than the Euro spec but most fuel tested was way better than the US spec requires. Contaminated fuel and misfueling will continue to be issues and additives may or may not help with that depending on the extent of contamination or misfueling amount. You are approved for up to B20 use in ILL. currently and if using that you really should have no need of additional additves for lubricity reasons. B11 tested in the 200 to 300 range on the HFRR testing in the Infineum report.

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
The 3.0l tdi is used on the $100k a8l. The buyers who can afford a $$$$ car can afford or are probably a lawyer. These people also would be less likely to use dirty fuel additives or splash mix in b100. And they would (my guess) be more likely to misfuel.

scdevon

Veteran Member
TDI
None
You should really look at the report yourself.

http://www.infineum.com/Pages/2012WinterDieselFuelSurvey.aspx

They still found some really scary samples of regular diesel.
533 um??

No thanks. Pass me the lubricity additive.
Granted, most of the US samples were much better than that, but jeeeze.

Wear increases exponentially at 460+ um. CR injectors take a beating at these injection pressures, too. Not just the HPFP. If you brag that you never use lubricity additives and have never had fuel system problems, it simply means that you got lucky and have always bought fuel with good quality control and good lubricity numbers. A few tankfuls of 600-ish um fuel where somebody or some automated system in the supply chain "forgot" the add the additive could toast your very expensive fuel system in a really short time.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
I guess it depends on where you are. The Bx samples from the Midwest in the previous review were all around 200 micrometer, if I remember correctly.

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
The Jetta Hybrid is a great trade alternative for folks fed up with VW still betting the farm on Mk7 [Bosch CP 4.1 HPFP + SCR/urea]. Yeah, I know I just bet the farm on another bunch of potentially unknown latent defects on the new hybrid power plant. But hey it's spark ignition / gasoline fueled (yep Premium Gasoline Required). Just a 150 mile RT and averaged 46 MPG (Winter No AC). Golf TDI DSG under similar conditions never touched this kind of MPG. Just broke 8000 miles, no engine / tranny issues. Climate control head just dumped, but it's being replaced under warranty.

Last edited:

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
The Jetta Hybrid is a great trade alternative for folks fed up with VW still betting the farm on Mk7 [Bosch CP 4.1 HPFP + SCR/urea]. Yeah, I know I just bet the farm on another bunch of potentially unknown latent defects on the new hybrid power plant. But hey it's spark ignition / gasoline fueled (yep Premium Gasoline Required). Just a 150 mile RT and averaged 46 MPG (Winter No AC). Golf TDI DSG under similar conditions never touched this kind of MPG. Just broke 8000 miles, no engine / tranny issues. Climate control head just dumped, but it's being replaced under warranty.
You wouldn't be related to the Company Rep who delivered my 2014, by any chance?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I try and always buy commercial fuel from a name brand station with a B20 or less bio component. This is pretty easy in Texas where I live as most seem to have this. We have D2, B5 or less and B5 to B20 spread around. I also live in a Texas TxLED county and our fuel has to meet better standards than federal minimums, similar to California.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
Last edited:

hfnut

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
The funny thing is after you get to be a certain age you start asking yourself how long is the DRIVER gonna last! To heck with the car and the fuel pump! Wonder how long it will take to rebuild MY fuel pump?

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
About 30 minutes, once under and on the table! Though recovery might take a little onger than just driving out of the service bay.

cdw86

TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
So VW is ignoring the problem and NHTSA doesn't seem too concerned with the HPFP issue so ultimately what's going to happen? Is someone going to come up with an aftermarket fix in few more years that's widely excepted? In 5 years is VW still going to deny everything and continue to blame the owner? I don't know how issues like this play out for the car owners.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wouldn't say that repairing the failed pumps is ignoring the problem but I understand your comment. VWOA or Bosch have never public ally acknowledge that there is an issue. I do not believe that they ever will or all of us that own CR diesels will be at the VW garages demanding hpfp replacements.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Said it many times already. The status quo, in which VW is kept on their toes by the still-open case but there is NOT a cast-in-stone extended warranty duration, is probably the best realistic outcome.

If this ends up with an extended warranty to (say) 120,000 miles, and yours breaks at 120,001, you will be out of luck and everyone else will know it. Resale value = 0.

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
If this ends up with an extended warranty to (say) 120,000 miles, and yours breaks at 120,001, you will be out of luck and everyone else will know it. Resale value = 0.
Using that logic, the current warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles on power train. If the HPFP breaks at 60,001, you will be out of luck and everyone else will know it. Resale value = 0. ???

I think I've read 2 or 3 cases where the HPFP was replaced on vehicles with over 100k miles. Setting those two aside, I think it's fairly possible that VW would not cover a warranty claim at 120k miles. That being said, should be understood and will have no impact on resale value.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
Using that logic, the current warranty is 5 years/60,000 miles on power train. If the HPFP breaks at 60,001, you will be out of luck and everyone else will know it. Resale value = 0. ???
I think I've read 2 or 3 cases where the HPFP was replaced on vehicles with over 100k miles. Setting those two aside, I think it's fairly possible that VW would not cover a warranty claim at 120k miles. That being said, should be understood and will have no impact on resale value.
GoFaster is from Canada.

VW Canada won't even replace the HPFP under the powertrain warranty. Only under the 4-yr 80k (50k mile) km bumper-to-bumper warranty. Ask me how I know :mad:

I can't imagine anyone would buy a car with 120,0001 miles with a blown HPFP not covered by warranty. The repair will not only be worth considerably more than the car, it will be worth about the price of a pretty decent used Civic or Corolla, or about 40% of the price of a brand-new base Jetta gasser with the gutless but fairly bullet-proof 2.0. Considering that I've seen Jetta leases at $168/mo, $0 down, I can't see anybody springing for a 120k Golf/Jetta with a blown HPFP requiring a $7-9k repair.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
And here in the US, a $9k repair is over halfway to a 2.0 Jetta S.

Or over halfway to a few other manufacturers cars that could compete nicely - $17k also gets you into a nicely equipped Fiesta, for that matter. (Although, I didn't like the driving position (too high) and the lack of sensation of speed (it was quick enough, it just felt like I was doing 40 mph when I was actually doing 70) in the 1.0T I test drove the other day. Otherwise, though, seemed like a nice enough car.)

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
... except that in the USA, with the NHTSA having an open case hanging over VW's head, VW doesn't want to rock the boat and has been repairing them well outside of warranty. As noted above, that's not the case here in Canada, where the corresponding organization (Transport Canada) is not holding VW's feet to the fire. Ergo ... I no longer own a VW TDI and will not buy anything that has a Bosch CP4 injector pump.

In the USA, there have been many cases of that pump beiing replaced well outside of warranty (and over 100,000 mi). Not necessarily without a fight, but they've done it.

TDI2000Zim

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't they have the best diesel fuel in Canada? So, how come the failures? Customer misfueling
?

I remember when our ALH engines had a dinky 40k-mi timing belt, it took a few years for Dieselgeek to reverse engineer a 100k-mi timing belt kit (only $380) to solve the issue.

I wonder if Dieselgeek could/would adapt another fuel pump to replace in Post Warranty VW cars the infamous Bosch CP4.1, with something such as the Denso HP3:

LRTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 16 GSW... Just the LR diesel now
The funny thing is after you get to be a certain age you start asking yourself how long is the DRIVER gonna last! To heck with the car and the fuel pump! Wonder how long it will take to rebuild MY fuel pump?

If your pump lasts three hours or longer, consult a doctor. :)

STRANGETDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Audi A3 S-Line Premium Plus Quattro - APR Stage II
Is everyone stuck at page 394 of this post?

No matter what I do, I can't get past this page. It shows that there are pages 395 and 396.

Very odd...

Last edited:

Scratcher

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 TDI BEW Wagon
Is everyone stuck at page 394 of this post?

No matter what I do, I can't get past this page. It shows that there are pages 395 and 396.

Very odd...
There's probably something there that will solve all of our TDI troubles. Alas we are doomed to remain at 394 for eternity!