2015 Passat TDI Highline/SEL- Headlight Auto position

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Returned to VW: 2015 Passat Highline DSG EarlyLease Termination
Hey folks, I've had my new Passat for about 1 month now. I'm in Canada, so not sure if options or build specs are different up here. Anyways, I've noticed on several occasions , first thing in the morning I'll back the car out of the garage with the headlamp switch in the "auto" position. Once I stop the vehicle exiting the garage, I'll place the DSG shifter into "park". I then apply the parking brake. I noticed that the fog light on the drivers side is not on, but on the passenger side it is on. Then what's more confusing is when I turn the fog light switch to the on position along with the headlights to on position their both on, meaning everything is working, both headlights and both fog lights. What gives? Sorry to make it a long post, I just don't know how to explain it any different. Thanks for the help , wonderful group of people here by the way.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks for your reply cmpu85, . So is this similar to adaptive steering headlights ? What I don't understand is why does the one fog light turn on when I apply the parking brake, and then when I release it the fog light turns off ?

Thanks again

eats1963

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Depending on which way you have your wheel turned, the accompanying fog light will turn on. When you have the switch in the auto position and you back up, both fog lights will turn on to provide added lighting. When you go into D or S and you turn the wheel at low speeds, the same side fog light will turn on to provide additional light heading in the direction you are turning. Not sure why yours are turning off and on with when applying the parking break though.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I think the light turning on with parking brake application is a coincidence in your case.

VernK

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat 2.5L Gas
Applying the parking brake on our 2012 causes the DRL to go out, perhaps there is a clue there. We don't have the foglights though.

Yours
Vern

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Ah, there you go, Vern! I suppose the hand brake is also turning off the cornering lights. Our lowly SE doesn't have cornering lights, so I'm not too familiar with their behavior.

Lucsar

Veteran Member
TDI
Hey Folks, sorry it took so long to get back to this. So, I had the car in just to check on a rough spot on the paint. The service writer/adviser informed that the Highline/SEL models come with cornering lights, to help when parking the car. Kinda of a neat feature, didn't know the vehicle had it.

NSTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Passat
Fog lights were also standard on my 2013 Comfortline, which is the SE trim line in Canada. It also comes with the automatic AC and a sunroof was available with the sport package and the manual tranny.

Don