West Michigan Fall TDI GTG - October 27, 2018

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Lots of lakes, backroads going north, there is an old mill near Blanchard, best Maple Syrup in Shepard’s (1956 Cadillac camper also, though that might not thrill the wife). A lot of State land, small towns, and the Great Lakes west east, and north. You could easily spend 3 days meandering around the upper half of the lower peninsula, if you have the time.

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Guys! I'll do my best. My wife likes photography. So, are there things nearby that we can take in on the next day or the day before?
Andy - Would like to see your Vanagon as well!

It's about 65 miles / 1 hr. 15 min. south from Kirk's place to the Gilmore Car Museum. Most everything is indoors in various buildings so even if it rains you can stay dry. They have a wide variety of vehicles/eras represented including props like old gas pumps, etc.

https://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/

There are other nearby attractions in that area such as the Kalamazoo Air Museum, etc. which you can find via this link:

https://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/visit-explore-2/in-the-area/

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Excellent call on the museum, it takes all day to go through it

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Guys! I'll do my best. My wife likes photography. So, are there things nearby that we can take in on the next day or the day before?
It should be beautiful around here then Andy, love to see your vanagon as well!

Kirk

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
Thinking that I might attend again this year.

Update: Room booked in Wyoming, MI, so I'm planning to be at the GTG.

Last edited:

rocketeer928

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed
It'll be great to have you there again, Sonny!
Sonny, eh? I think we're about the same age. Ha, ha!

Will Frank be there? I had planned to meet him for the first time last year after going back-n-forth about my vibration issue, but then he started goofing off on a ATV 4-wheeler
(Poor Frank; Glad he's OK).

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Sonny, eh? I think we're about the same age. Ha, ha!

Will Fred be there? I had planned to meet him for the first time last year after going back-n-forth about my vibration issue, but then he started goofing off on a ATV 4-wheeler
(Poor Fred; Glad he's OK).
Kirk calls me and probably most of us 'Sonny' so it's not unique to you - LOL! :p

Fred? Uh, you mean Frank of ATV trick riding fame. Hope he comes as it is always good to see him.

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
No chance of attempting to make it out:(- we're going back to a 3 crew schedule after Labor day till December(maybe longer)- 4 days on ,2 days off, then 4 nights,2 days off......

xflowgolf

TDI
Not a VW ;-p
I’ll put it on the calendar. Hopefully have a diesel of my own to bring this year!

Last edited:

InfoSec

Veteran Member
Well, I sold my J'03 etta, so all I have now is my ML350 Bluetec... May I still show up? I'll bring the beans again!!!

-Mike B.

verboten1

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta '02 5 door "20th"
Darn, I’ll be at grattan the weekend before, not sure I’ll have time to come back out. I’ll try though!

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
Andy - Would like to see your Vanagon as well!

It's about 65 miles / 1 hr. 15 min. south from Kirk's place to the Gilmore Car Museum. Most everything is indoors in various buildings so even if it rains you can stay dry. They have a wide variety of vehicles/eras represented including props like old gas pumps, etc.

https://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/

There are other nearby attractions in that area such as the Kalamazoo Air Museum, etc. which you can find via this link:

https://www.gilmorecarmuseum.org/visit-explore-2/in-the-area/
The Kalamazoo Air Zoo is not to be missed. Get their full-meal ticket and enjoy the F6F simulator rides and see if you can shoot down a Zero.

I think I can make this, and would love to get a second fob.

Douglas

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
I'm working on the details to make this GTG. It's around a ~5 hour drive for me. I'm would drive up the night before and stay at one of the hotels listed, probably the ones in Grand Rapids.

Who else is planning to stay at a hotel? I'd like to coordinate a central hotel location, maybe arrange room sharing for those on a budget.

:)

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
I'm working on the details to make this GTG. It's around a ~5 hour drive for me. I'm would drive up the night before and stay at one of the hotels listed, probably the ones in Grand Rapids.

Who else is planning to stay at a hotel? I'd like to coordinate a central hotel location, maybe arrange room sharing for those on a budget.

:)
Brian,

It'd be great to have you there again if you can make it,

Kirk

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
I might be able to come out after all... we'll be shutting down for a few days at end of October, not sure of date yet. I guess our whole business is having trouble getting trucks to pick loads up(drywall and paper rolls), so inventory is high necessitating shutdowns ..... if I am able to make it, not sure which one I'll drive.....

PakProtector

Veteran Member
TDI
Mk.4's and the Cummins
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=491803 Does anyone coming have an oscilloscope and the knowledge to determine the location of a diode if one exists on this circuit?
No idea about the circuit, but I can bring a Tek 2242 scope. it is a 100 MHz scope, and is adequate for the audio work I put it to.

Any word on the key gentleman? I will put him to work if he comes...:)
cheers,
Douglas

Fastevan47

TDI
2000 Jetta 5 speed
Kirk,

Talked to you last night about it, but could you put my name down for a tune, EGR and immobilizer delete? Looking forward to the meet! Got it wrote down on the calendar so I won’t forget. Thanks!

Evan