2005 Passat TDI Engine Vibration

QZone

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Highline
I must confess to being a TDI neophyte, having never owned a diesel. I am looking at purchasing a 2005 Passat TDI, and test drove three cars over the last three days. Hopefully the experienced members of this forum can answer a question that came out of the test drives.
All three cars have around 100,000 kms and appear well maintained. Two of them drove well, with a nicely subdued diesel mutter at highway speed. The third car had a distinct engine vibration at all speeds that could be felt through teh seat, throttle pedal, and steering wheel. At 90 kph the car would run quiet and smooth with the throttle lifted, but even the small amount of power required to maintain speed on a level road resulted in noticeable vibration and a fairly noisy cabin. This car seemed to make as much power on full throttle as the other two ( based on my seat-of-the -pants accelerometer) and started and idled well.

So, the question is: Do some of these engines run rougher than others, or is there a problem with teh third car? My knowledge of diesels is limited to a vague understanding of teh theory and teh only things that come to my mind are uneven compression, fouled injectors, or bad fuel.

All input is appreciated!

Lefty

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2000,Green GLS
There could be a bearing gone or it could be the clutch. Not sure if that car has the same clutch that has had some problems or not. DMF Clutch. Also could be CV joints.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
The BHW code engine (used in the 2.0 TDI with automatic) uses a pair of balance shafts to help damp the rhythmic oscilation of the bigger and heavier pistons used in this 2 liter diesel. The balance shafts are chain driven. The chains are a known weak link (not a pun) in the BHW. If they were not properly installed after some service, the balance shafts would augment, not dampen, the vibration. Please see the B5.5 threads for enough to either scare you off ever buying a BHW equipped B5.5, or it'll make you an informed buyer.

QZone

TDI
2013 Touareg TDI Highline
Thanks guys. Lefty, I talked to one of our local VW techs and he said the most likely cause was a bad CV joint since the torque from the TDI engines tends to wear them out - good call. Lug Nut, thanks for pointing me to the B5 threads. The info on the BHW engine was a real eye opener. Decisions, decisions...
I noted on one of Oilhammers posts he mentioned going to the NHTSA with the chain issue to no effect. I initiated a recall of all Audi UrS cars in Canada through Transport Canada for a fuel line failure - it only took 2 weeks to get the recall issued. Maybe I'll post a few tips to Oilhammer that might help with a recall.
Thanks again!