No boost issue 05 BEW 17036/P0652

stratusair

TDI
05 Jetta TDI Wagon, 02 TDI Sedan, 06 Lib CRD, Kubota, Boeing 737
Wanted to share my recent issues with no boost and my findings to help others. initially a code of P0299 turbo under boost showed up which I could clear with the vag-com and the engine would produce boost again. After a couple weeks of this the boost never came back and this new code showed up and would come back immediately after a reset: 17036/P0652/001618 - Sensor Reference Voltage B: Too Low. After a search here it is apparent that plenty of others have had the same issue and there is good information on the subject. I followed the advice and checked the usual suspects, hoses, vacuum lines vnt rod movement etc, all looked fine. The turbo is a vnt-17, and a Kerma tune, replaced about two years ago. After reading a post where someone suggested unplugging the vnt sensor to see if the boost returns I gave it a shot and sure enough it’s back! After closer inspection of the plug, crud is visible. This is surprising because it is an all weather plug which was also replaced about two years ago, welcome to New England driving. After driving 20 miles the cel has extinguished as well even with the plug still unplugged. Maybe the Kerma tune is doing that? Not sure. I will try cleaning with electric cleaner and retry it next. I wish I had tried the unplugging trick first, could be a quick diagnosis short cut. Thank you to others for their advice and I Hope this helps others:)

wonneber

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Jetta Sportwagon,2003 Jetta 261K Sold but not forgotten
I'm surprised having something unplugged does not throw a code, but I do not know about the Kerma tune.
Are you driving with it unplugged?

Gota ask, what fuel mileage do you get with the Boeing? :)

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Where is the VNT sensor? Is it in the turbo actuator down low?

stratusair

TDI
Yes the sensor is built in to actuator on the turbo. Two days of driving great with it unplugged and no cel still. I may drop a line to the tuners to see if maybe the tune itself was designed to disregard the sensor information and bypass the cel?

As far as the Boeing goes, to generalize we figure a fuel burn of 750 gallons per hour. Or somewhere around a gallon and a half per mile+/-:eek:

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
OP, I'm curious to know if the tuner did indeed deleted the sensor function. I installed a Garrett actuator on my Borg Warner turbo, but I now have a constant P2565. Boost is good, but I wonder if I should have just left it unplugged.

stratusair

TDI
I will email Kerma and pose the question in regard to my tune and post their reply.

stratusair

TDI
OP, I'm curious to know if the tuner did indeed deleted the sensor function. I installed a Garrett actuator on my Borg Warner turbo, but I now have a constant P2565. Boost is good, but I wonder if I should have just left it unplugged.
JB05 is it easy enough to crawl under the car, disconnect it and see what happens?

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
No, not really due mainly to the weather. That is why I ask, otherwise I would have tried it.
I contacted a member here, Reference Design, who had a plug-n-play fix for this issue. He said he was going to send me what he
had, but I'm still waiting. I also contacted a Malone tuner regarding a delete, but I think they misunderstood my intentions and told me no.

Last edited:

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Have no problem deleting the VNT sensor, we can also rent out tools. Feel free to pm me which shop you spoke with.