www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs

VW MKIII-A3/B4 TDIs This is a discussion about MKIII-A3/MkIII Jetta/Golf (<99.5) and B4 Passats (96,97) TDI's. Non TDI related postings will be moved or removed.

Old June 16th, 2015, 09:05   #256
TDIL3dad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by G60ING View Post
There was an option for a passat TDI MFA cluster, you might want keep an eye on eBay for it. Then it would be plug and play.
Was the optional MFA cluster available on US Passat TDIs or only EU?
TDIL3dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 09:18   #257
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

EU only.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Chris Bell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 10:34   #258
TDIL3dad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bell View Post
EU only.
What's the VW part number please?

What are the pros and cons of using this EU optional TDI MFA cluster?

TIA
Old June 16th, 2015, 10:55   #259
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIL3dad View Post
What's the VW part number please?

What are the pros and cons of using this EU optional TDI MFA cluster?

TIA
Pros - plug & play, stock appearance (no "Unleaded Fuel Only" to hide)
Cons - Metric gauge graduations, Metric (or Imperial for UK) MFA display (although Derek could recode the Country Code for US market), different location/no MIL lamp depending on year (could be added).

If you're still interested in P/n: vagcat.com
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Old June 16th, 2015, 11:59   #260
TDIL3dad
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bell View Post
Pros - plug & play, stock appearance (no "Unleaded Fuel Only" to hide)
Cons - Metric gauge graduations, Metric (or Imperial for UK) MFA display (although Derek could recode the Country Code for US market), different location/no MIL lamp depending on year (could be added).

If you're still interested in P/n: vagcat.com

-- Plug and play installation with minimal surgery is big plus #1.
-- Stock appearance is big plus #2.
I can live with temperature reading in celsius but want fuel reading in US gallons.

Thinking aloud:
-- Has anyone tried using an Air Brush painting service to cover up "Unleaded Fuel Only" ? They can mix a batch of paint to perfectly match the dark gray / black surface, and air brushing can be done to blend in and fade into surrounding surface.

I already have on hand (pulled from donor car) a VR6 manual trans instrument cluster, and also the MFA stalks from a B4V. I still need to find the various sensor cables, and figure out how I want to deal with "unleaded Fuel Only".
Old June 16th, 2015, 13:42   #261
goodmonkey
Veteran Member

The MFA display is different for US vs metric. The odometer display is the same on both. This is my understanding, as when you do a LCD segment test you will not see any metric symbols (l/km, C, km, etc) on a US spec MFA.

For the "Unleaded Fuel Only" I simply covered it with a sticker that says Diesel Fuel Only. Seemed appropriate.
Previous TDI's: 1996 Passat TDI- totaled at 394k miles, 1998 Passat TDI - 175k miles, 2012 Passat TDI SE - 41k, 1996 Passat TDI Variant - 327k, 2014 Jetta SportWagon TDI 6MT - 29k, 2015 Passat TDI SEL - 18k, 2006 Jetta TDI 5MT - 261k

Last edited by goodmonkey; June 16th, 2015 at 13:45.
goodmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2015, 15:28   #262
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDIL3dad View Post
I already have on hand (pulled from donor car) a VR6 manual trans instrument cluster, and also the MFA stalks from a B4V. I still need to find the various sensor cables, and figure out how I want to deal with "unleaded Fuel Only".
This is a no-brainer: send the cluster to Derek and you're done. He edits the controller chip, changes the odometer to your current value, eliminates the "Unleaded..." graphically and does it all for a very reasonable price.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Old June 28th, 2015, 12:17   #263
lisab4
Veteran Member

Does Derek have an e-mail? I'm gonna bite the bullet and install MFA during the restoration. Would like him to convert my TDI cluster. I've sent him a PM but I see he doesn't visit very often here.
Old June 28th, 2015, 12:25   #264
clyde
Veteran Member

Not that I know of. But he's done two cluster conversions for me. I reach him at

217 824-3954, Chubís Auto, Taylorville, Illinois 62568
clyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2015, 13:28   #265
lisab4
Veteran Member

I'm in Europe, so telephone is a bit difficult for me :/
*edit* found his gmail account in another thread

Last edited by lisab4; June 28th, 2015 at 15:14.
lisab4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 05:23   #266
radekrp90

Fuel Economy: 6.5 l/100 km ~ 43 mpg

I have small question.
It is possible to reprogram any 35i cluster (late 95 and above) with MFA to change "country code" and "engine type" without using Dakota unit like in first post?
Maybe I not catch everything in Chris Bell post - but it is possible in Euro cluster too ( VR6 to TDI mod)?

And one more thing - is there any chance to do some cross-flash between VR6 and TDI clusters (I mean if I buy VR6 cluster and put into it TDI eeprom dump it will be work as original TDI cluster)?

Last edited by radekrp90; July 20th, 2015 at 05:29. Reason: I forgot write last sentence.
radekrp90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2015, 06:35   #267
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Yes, editing EEPROM to change cylinder number will work, and you shouldn't need to change country code unless you're using a UK or North American cluster.

The TDI-into-VR6 dump should correct for the different tach sweep between 4-cyl. gas vs. 4-cyl. TDI clusters (which changing cylinder number alone won't correct). Everything else should work fine.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Old July 21st, 2015, 01:36   #268
radekrp90

I have Euro Cluster and i would like to stay with it
So assuming:
- change of country code (miles > km, gal>liters and vice versa) is possible
- change of odometer - possible
- change of cyl. number - possible
a) if i change 6-cyl to 4-cyl do I need TDI or Petrol tach gauge- because I don't realy catch that?
b) Scale/ratio - It can be adjusted by changes in EEPROM?
- change of speedometer (TDI has 0-220 km/h VR6 0-260 - but with different pulse number) - can be that adjusted?

And last question - I'm from Europe and sending cluster from here to USA cost too much to make any diffrence betwen taking VR6 cluster to TDI as a TDI-MFA replacement (i can i think buy cheeper white-TDI-MFA cluster here). It is possible to send EEPROM dump to any one at the mail to flash it here? of course I can pay for editing it - by now I just looking for some info. Here everybody says it is impossible (change cyl-number and country codes).
Old July 21st, 2015, 05:17   #269
Chris Bell
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by radekrp90 View Post
I have Euro Cluster and i would like to stay with it
So assuming:
- change of country code (miles > km, gal>liters and vice versa) is possible
But you won't need to change it since you will be getting a Euro cluster and all Euro market clusters use the same country code. Only UK and North American clusters are different.
- change of odometer - possible
- change of cyl. number - possible
a) if i change 6-cyl to 4-cyl do I need TDI or Petrol tach gauge- because I don't realy catch that?
Yes, use your existing TDI tach face in the VR6 cluster. Pulse count must also be changed.
b) Scale/ratio - It can be adjusted by changes in EEPROM?
- change of speedometer (TDI has 0-220 km/h VR6 0-260 - but with different pulse number) - can be that adjusted?
If you want to change from VR6 speedo sweep to TDI sweep, pulse count would have to be changed and TDI speedo face would have to be swapped into VR6 cluster.
And last question - I'm from Europe and sending cluster from here to USA cost too much to make any diffrence betwen taking VR6 cluster to TDI as a TDI-MFA replacement (i can i think buy cheeper white-TDI-MFA cluster here). It is possible to send EEPROM dump to any one at the mail to flash it here? of course I can pay for editing it - by now I just looking for some info. Here everybody says it is impossible (change cyl-number and country codes).
It would be MUCH easier and cheaper to get a TDI MFA cluster and install aftermarket white gauge faces.
'96 Passat variant
'99 BMW M3 Cabrio
Old July 21st, 2015, 10:46   #270
radekrp90

Thanks a lot for answers
Yes, You have write - it is easier and (maybe and should be) cheaper, but my "curiosity" must know some about this stuff. Till now I was thinking, change anything it those cluster is impossible (except odometer).