TDI NB Buzz/vibration

pingpong

My TDI Beetle is about 4 months and 6K "new" and since day one the interior rear view mirror vibrates at highway speeds (50-80mph). Is this what I have to put up with or is ther e either a problem or a fix? My engine also idles at 950 rpm, is that normal for a TDI? Any advice will be welcome.
BTW - am installing a tuning box as soon as Howard sends it to me.

cage

Top Post Dawg
Yup the mirror vibrates on the highway. I don't even notice anymore. I think It is just the mirror design. I guess we could put a weight or something inside the housing to help.

csimo

Veteran Member
TDI
none
My 99.5 Jetta TDI was in for service and the dealer loaned me a 2000 Jetta GLS. It had the gasoline engine (not VR-6) and an automatic transmission.

If I had to drive that BORING car every day I wouldn't be happy.

The gasoline engine was ROARING at 70MPH on the highway. Much louder than my TDI. At idle the gasoline engine was quieter, but I'd trade the louder idle for a quieter highway drive anytime.

Without the 5 speed and TDI engine the Jetta just seemed like another boring car to me.

Just my opinion!

BIGJOHNO

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf (Black) mine; 2011 Golf (UGM) hers
Csimo, I differ in opinion. My fiancee bought a 2.0 a4 Jetta last June (no auto TDIs in Jetta by then), and I've had plenty of opportunities to drive it. It has good low end torque and plenty of pep. I don't think it's too loud at full speed, but I don't have a lot of time in the new TDIs eother. I wouldn't call it boring, just a little different personality (and much worse mpg -- pu
).

John

Cosmic Green

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta wagon
Sorry Bigjohno, but I have to agree with Csimo! I too was lent a gas/auto A4Jetta while my TDI was in for an airbag replacement (the light came on). My driving is mostly highway, and I HATED it! Although it was the same car, the engine (compared to the TDI) lacked refinement, revved excessively on the highway, was gutless on the highway, and really seemed to cheapen the car a notch or two. In the city, I must admit it was quieter and peppier, but it made it clear to me that I would never buy this car with this engine. Maybe the VR6....