Audi Allroad 1.9TDI with 6spd. - Project Thread

nate0031

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
96 B4 Passat
Probably the best/easiest option for someone doing the swap. I just didn't feel like buying another pedal and waiting, lol.

Scott02

Veteran Member
TDI
Too Many
I used the pedal from a Passat. 3 bolts then plug and play
I have the passat BHW pedal and the allroad auto pedal. Neither give me proper values in VAGCOM. That's where I stopped at forever ago.

Anyone else have an issue getting proper 0-100% out of their pedal?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
What year is the AR?

MKIV_TDI

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI, 2002 Golf TDI, '89 Audi 200 Wagon Quattro 2.5 AEL TDI
How are you going to handle the lack of speedometer sender on the trans?

Scott
You asked about the vss. I'm back in the conversion mood, didn'touch the car for long time, any way. Engine is running, i will have many questions about some alh to allroad clima signals and the VSS. Someone suggested to get a signal from the ABS module, well that didn't work. It seems i have to put a speed sensor on the axle bolts and use a dakota signal converter.
I am open to any suggestions.
Also you may have the answer that many people are confused about :The 0A3 6 speed manual seems about 1 1/8 to 1 1/2'' longer than the 01E. Can you change the tail ends or any known audi driveshafts shorter? Some people are talking about 4.2 Allroad driveshaft with an 1 1/2'' adapter.

MKIV_TDI

TDI
Not much left now! Installed the tune from KERMA yesterday and it feels very, very good! And the QLoader software is very straighforward and makes life pretty easy!

The main issues are:

1) Need to get speedometer working.

2) The car takes a long time to start up when the engine is at normal operating temperature. It's almost 5 seconds of cranking before it takes. Any thoughts?

Otherwise there's small odds and ends that I need to chase down to wire and take care of various electrical issues and warnings that I'm getting ( for example, headlight range light is up on the dash)... but we're getting there!

deecee

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat Tornado Red, 99.5 Golf ALH, 2002 Jetta ALH
love the project, I can dream about doing this someday!

Probably not your issue, but my 99 golf had the hard to start when engine is hot. I was told a tune would fix it but I switched the transmission coding from manual to auto and that fixed it but I now have a check engine light. I'll live with that until I can afford a tune.

MKIV_TDI

TDI
love the project, I can dream about doing this someday!

Probably not your issue, but my 99 golf had the hard to start when engine is hot. I was told a tune would fix it but I switched the transmission coding from manual to auto and that fixed it but I now have a check engine light. I'll live with that until I can afford a tune.

I've heard the same thing, so I'm hoping it might be a "simple" tuning issue, too -- waiting to hear back from Charlie @ Kerma to see if there's anything that can be done!

MKIV_TDI

TDI
How long did this swap take you?
Well, I started the thread April 2015, so I guess around a year and a half! But this project was never a priority of mine, so it was a very casual endeavor!

MKIV_TDI

TDI
Not too worried about the boost issue. I found (and repaired_ that one of my hoses was loose toward the intercooler i'm using (off an '15 A4 TDI) and leaking air, so I'm assuming once I clear it won't come back.
Anybody have and idea about the airbag light? That's what I'm most worried about now.

Last edited:

MKIV_TDI

TDI
Picked up speed off the axles.

MKIV_TDI

TDI
No thoughts on the codes?

Also, and recommendations on what I could use as an "output" for the GLOW PLUG light for when it's cold out?

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS Wagon TDI 5 spd manual w/BSM delete 2011 Tiguan TDI/DSG 2005 Audi A4 Avant 6MQ TDI 2011 BMW X5 35d
I have a 2001 AllRoad that I installed a 2004 BHW and DQT gearbox in. It also has a larger turbo and stage 3 tune.

I initially had similar codes with my Airbag and ABS unit. Basically it appears that the controllers were looking for a handshake with the ECU on start up but not getting the proper signal. Mike at TDTuning worked with me to get rid of the codes. Everything still functions as it should.

As for the glow plug light, I found a cluster from England from a TDI and showed MPH. It was plug and play. So now I have the GP light and the correct tachometer scale.

MKIV_TDI

TDI
Well, Charlie@Kerma was able to take care of the airbag error for me :)

There's only 3 more easy errors left for me to take care of, and I should be golden!

#1) Glow-Plug Harness. I'm going to wire those myself so I never have to use the cheap/brittle harness that VW makes that goes bad every other year.

#2) Front-Left Ride Height Sensor. I'll take it apart and clean it. That's seems to be a common issue on these.

#3) Headlight Range warning on the cluster. As a result of the faulty ride-height sensor, I'm sure :)

Car seems ready to eat up the highways. With cruise control set to 80MPH, i'm doing about 2100 RPM's in 6th gear.

I think this project is just about wrapped up.

Thanks for those who chimed in, and big thanks to KERMA TDI for their knowledge and tuning help with blazing fast response times.

....now, maybe a tacoma TDI swap next???;)

Jake_S

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW TDI/DSG; 05 Jetta Wagon auto (retired)
That is sweet! I'm considering doing a PD swap into an Allroad, since I need the larger cargo space for me, 2 teenagers, and 2 large dogs.

Jake

NMForester

TDI
2004 2.0TDI Passat Wagon(5 speed MT est completion 11,2016), 1991 Dodge Cummins 5.9L TD, 2002 Allroad (PD130, 6 speed MT)
I am finishing up on the last of the work on my 1.9TDI allroad and really love it. It is really the right combination of engine and comfort for me at least. I am wondering how many of these swaps have been done. I count 5 or six on this forum.
At some point I will post pics and discussion of my swap. that is once I finish my Passat MT swap.
Chris

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a 2001 with a 2.0 BHW and DQT. Nice car and fun to drive.

Have a 2003 AR Cobalt blue with a bad 2.7, trying to decide if I will keep it a gasser or convert it.

Last edited:

NMForester

TDI
2004 2.0TDI Passat Wagon(5 speed MT est completion 11,2016), 1991 Dodge Cummins 5.9L TD, 2002 Allroad (PD130, 6 speed MT)
I have the 5 speed ready to go in. Will get after it next week. Who did you use for your reflash? My allroad conversion was all Europe sourced parts including the ECU so If you can recommend a tuner that would be helpful. Am thinking of just getting a MT reflash and IMMO delete. The 2.0 with stock tune should be plenty when all the power gets to the wheels vs my AT with its TC lockup issues

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
I have used Mike at TDTuning for all my conversions.

vwztips

Veteran Member
TDI
MKIV I just noticed your comment about doing 80mph @2100 rpm. Which gearbox did you install and what ratio is 6th gear as well as the differential ratio?

Well, Charlie@Kerma was able to take care of the airbag error for me :)
There's only 3 more easy errors left for me to take care of, and I should be golden!
#1) Glow-Plug Harness. I'm going to wire those myself so I never have to use the cheap/brittle harness that VW makes that goes bad every other year.
#2) Front-Left Ride Height Sensor. I'll take it apart and clean it. That's seems to be a common issue on these.
#3) Headlight Range warning on the cluster. As a result of the faulty ride-height sensor, I'm sure :)
Car seems ready to eat up the highways. With cruise control set to 80MPH, i'm doing about 2100 RPM's in 6th gear.

I think this project is just about wrapped up.
Thanks for those who chimed in, and big thanks to KERMA TDI for their knowledge and tuning help with blazing fast response times.
....now, maybe a tacoma TDI swap next???;)