No timing marks on flywheel

77machomopar

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 5 speed
I am replacing the IP on my car tonight and i can not see any timing marks on the flywheel(5 speed) So how can i time the engine without the proper marks. The flywheel is too rusty to see the marks probably. thanks

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Unless you have a replacement flywheel it should have the mark. To help find it rotate the engine until you can get the IP locking pin in. Use a BRIGHT light and have someone rotate the crank using a 19 mm socket on the end. It should only require a few degrees of rotation back and forth to find it.

All of Us

Ian's Dad
TDI
2015 NMS Passat SE TDI "Gin" 2006 A5 New Jetta TDI "Graycie" and 2003 A4 Jetta GLS TDI "Liath"
Volks:

Do aftermarket flywheels come with timing marks? I have not had to replace one yet, but the time may be coming. It would be good to know beforehand.

Dan

77machomopar

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI 5 speed
i dont know if its a stock flywheel or not the car has 147k on it now. so it may be stock. The bigger problem is the amount of rust on the flywheel makes is hard to see.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
Do aftermarket flywheels come with timing marks?
Many do... Many don't... I had to use a dial-gauge and a probe down the #1 cylinder glow plug hole to verify the precise point...
The bigger problem is the amount of rust on the flywheel makes is hard to see.
It's often hard to see... changing the angle of vision as well as adding a LOT of light helps... did you remove the air filter box and hose?? In addition to getting in the right ballpark using the injection pump hole, there's also a small mark on the back edge of the harmonic balancer (looks like a tiny bite mark) that lines up with a mark on the metal lower timing belt cover... Not nearly as precise as the flywheel mark, but again, it gets you very close...

Yuri

TDI
96 glx variant tdi
Use the mark on the crank damper to get things close, or use the camshaft to get it close, or use the ip hole to get it close, then look for the mark on the crank. A can of brake clean works wonders to remove "stuff". A brilliant flashlight helps immensely too.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
What are you using to try and prime the pump??

Some pumps are rather stubborn and a LOT of vacuum is required as well as a lot of patience... keep a strong vacuum on it for 20 minutes and see if anything happens...

Yuri