You know you're obsessed when....

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
You know you\'re obsessed when....

1. When everyone in the office is aware of my elaborate Excel Spreadsheet that calculates almost everything I can think to program into it relating to my TDI expenses.
2. When I have printed a copy of the fuel log and taped it on my office door.
3. When I have printed a copy of the fuel milage CHART-graph (in multi-color) and taped it on my office door.
4. Then one day, I setup a CHART-graph in ounces per mile .... that was going over the line in my own thoughts.
5. When the boss catches me on the tdiclub.com website ..LOL
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

ARBY

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf Sportwagen - really want a F-150.

my girlfriend and i decide to have a nice quite night in, she reaches for 'the davinci code' and i reach for 'golf jetta, 1999-2003, 2.0, 1.9 tdi, 1.8t, VR6'

T

TravisMcGee

[ QUOTE ]
1. When everyone in the office is aware of my elaborate Excel Spreadsheet that calculates almost everything I can think to program into it relating to my TDI expenses.
2. When I have printed a copy of the fuel log and taped it on my office door.
3. When I have printed a copy of the fuel milage CHART-graph (in multi-color) and taped it on my office door.
4. Then one day, I setup a CHART-graph in ounces per mile .... that was going over the line in my own thoughts.
5. When the boss catches me on the tdiclub.com website ..LOL
/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
You smile because you keep a spreadsheet too ... until you look at Andy's profile and notice that he "averages above 50 mpg" and so you start mumbling to yourself, "he's lying" ... yet figure you better not doubt him because he keeps his spreadsheet TO THE OUNCE!

Man o' day ... that is some impressive average MPG! /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic

There's still a bit of frost on the ground during the mornings, and the wife asks, "is it OK to be running the elephant trunk CCV mod?"

treedweller

TDI
02 NB, platinum gray

Before I got my dodge cummins, i was researching diesel vs gas and saw posts like "I love the sound. I love the smell." I snickered and bought the truck because I wanted to pull a chipper and loads of wood chips, I wanted fuel economy, and I wanted to use biodiesel eventually. I regretted the smell and noise and drove with my windows up.

Two years later, I have switched to BD blend and the motor is a little quieter. I find myself doing the thing where i roll down my windows to hear my engine and I've more than once bent over my exhaust so I could smell the soybeans.

I then was surprised to learn my wife strongly preferred the idea of a TDI and wandered over to this site. I started checking it daily (strictly for any new tips or advice to help us get the best car we can). Then I started planning to track down the common problems and repairs once <fingers crossed> she buys one </fingers crossed>).

Now I've read this whole thread in one sitting. I think I have seen my future.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI

Nothing better on a really cold morning than fresh diesel exhaust from a newly started engine
/images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine

Hey, my overall average will go up since spring is here. The last three tanks have been above 52 MPG. If I had been driving a little more conserative, the numbers would have been higher. /images/graemlins/grin.gif

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.

This thread is becoming its own website. /images/graemlins/cool.gif

Uniac666

TDI
2003 Beetle Midnight Blue

It's 12:24 am, you have read this entire thread, and you hope your wife is asleep in the living room so you don't have to explain to her that you just really got to go on a late night jaunt with the beetle.

And being pissed that you can't get car seat anchors on the 89 gasser volvo (Turbo,Intercooled) you bought for the family until next week, which means my 100 mile a day commute in the beetle has to wait. ARGH!

Dreaming of how cool it's gonna be when those car seat anchors get installed in the 89 volvo.

While driving the 89 turbo volvo, listen to the turbo whine and analyzing how it sounds different from the Beetle.

Wonder about intercooling the beetle.

Use having to drive a gasser as a reason to learn more about my beetle.....

Greg

dieselgrandad

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Silver B4 Passat

[ QUOTE ]
I've more than once bent over my exhaust so I could smell the soybeans.

[/ QUOTE ]

I used B100 last summer, it smelled like doughnuts at the tailpipe. The only problem was, the cops followed me everywhere! /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

Occams_Razor

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2003, Reflex Silver

[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The New Beetle TDI's are already intercooled. Look under your right front fender! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner

You know you're obsessed with your TDI when you've just finished test driving a Touareg V10 TDI /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif and want one in the worst way but sadly you can't afford it! /images/graemlins/frown.gif

n1das

TDI

You know you're obsessed with your TDI when you add lettering to the rear hatch to help spread the TDI Gospel....

mgwerks

Veteran Member
TDI
black 1999 New Beetle

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]

Why? The New Beetle TDI's are already intercooled. Look under your right front fender! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
It's a start... I want a FMIC to back up my fog lights in my Beetle...

Dragokatzov

Veteran Member
TDI
Don't have one anymore! :(
You know you\'re obscessed when....

[ QUOTE ]
...You cheered the day you became a "veteran" member of the TDIClub.

[/ QUOTE ]

Oh thank god someone elce did this!

Yay! I am a Veteran now! I don't know anything, but I am still a Veteran! /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif /images/graemlins/laugh.gif

TomTDI

TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, Indigo Blue, Grey Leather

...your Excel spreadsheet that you use to track all things TDI-related has 9 tabs on it which are all linked together such that every time you make an entry, the numbers flow through all 9 sheets. Plus, you can't help yourself but to do the calculations in ounces and feet (gotta love Excel). Besides, if I didn't post this, someone else would. OK, it's officially time for me to get a life. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

(all measurements US)
  17,517.0        miles to date
÷    371.639     gallons of fuel (including additive)
------------
=     47.13445   MPG

that equals

92,489,760.000   feet
÷    47,569.792   ounces of fuel including additive
--------------
=            0.36824   MPO (Miles Per Ounce)
=   248,869.8979    FPG (Feet Per Gallon)
=      1,944.2961    FPO (Feet Per Ounce)
=2,986,438.775      IPG (Inches Per Gallon)
=    23,331.5529    IPO (Inches Per Ounce)

Fodder for the next GTG: "I get almost 250 THOUSAND FPG - has anyone made it into the 300K club yet?"

Tom

bigun

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI

[ QUOTE ]
...your Excel spreadsheet that you use to track all things TDI-related has 9 tabs on it which are all linked together such that every time you make an entry, the numbers flow through all 9 sheets. Plus, you can't help yourself but to do the calculations in ounces and feet (gotta love Excel). Besides, if I didn't post this, someone else would. OK, it's officially time for me to get a life. /images/graemlins/crazy.gif

(all measurements US)
  17,517.0        miles to date
÷    371.639     gallons of fuel (including additive)
------------
=     47.13445   MPG

that equals

92,489,760.000   feet
÷    47,569.792   ounces of fuel including additive
--------------
=            0.36824   MPO (Miles Per Ounce)
=   248,869.8979    FPG (Feet Per Gallon)
=      1,944.2961    FPO (Feet Per Ounce)
=2,986,438.775      IPG (Inches Per Gallon)
=    23,331.5529    IPO (Inches Per Ounce)

Fodder for the next GTG: "I get almost 250 THOUSAND FPG - has anyone made it into the 300K club yet?"

Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

Wow. I have no words for what I just read.

RichC

Veteran Member
TDI
Others: 82 MB 300D Turbodiesel & 2010 BMW X5 35D

[ QUOTE ]
...your Excel spreadsheet that you use to track all things TDI-related has 9 tabs on it which are all linked together such that every time you make an entry, the numbers flow through all 9 sheets.....
Tom

[/ QUOTE ]

You have way too much time on your hands! /images/graemlins/grin.gif

I just report the basics: My Humble Spreadsheet

I only wish I had compiled one for my 2001 TDI!

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain

when you pass a TDI while driving a non-TDI/non-volksy and are wondering "i hope that TDI driver doesn't hate me because i'm driving a Z28!".

does anyone make a "my other car is a TDI" bumper sticker????

snoopis

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI, 5spd

...when, while pumping your gasser rental car full of gas(haven't made that mistake, yet), you side-step to the diesel pump and run your fingers around it for a minute just to get some on your hands, so you can smell it all the way home.

Route 66

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 VW

When you pull up next to an 18 Wheeler and appreciate the sound of his 450 Catepillar engine and the whine of his turbo singing like a bird.

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!

...when you start dating a girl, realize that she's the perfect match for you in almost every way possible.. and just because she drives a Tahoe you stay awake at night wondering to yourself if you've made a mistake.. " Um, baby, we need to talk.."

itsmejerry

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE TDI Nav, 2015 Passat SE TDI, 2015 Beetle Convertible TDI, 2015 Golf Sportwagen TDI All Phase 2 Emission Modified complete. 50 State Legal Diesel!

[ QUOTE ]
You take your car to the dealership to get some work done and then spend about half an hour talking to the sales/service staff listing and explaining all the mods you've done to your car.

- You then spend another half an hour talking to somebody poking around the lot that asks you how you like your TDI. Of course you then explain all about TDIClub.com and give them a business card (Thanks Fred!) and tell them to check it out before buying a TDI.

- You then spend another hour walking around the lot looking at other VW's and seeing how many TDI's are on the lot and noting just how much better yours is than those on the lot.

[/ QUOTE ]
Oh thank God.
Every time I go to the dealership I do this.
'hmm. the 04's are here.. 110 hp?!! darn it, but I get better mileage with the 03, whew"
Add to that.. You wait until the 50,000 warranty is up before you tell them ALL the mods you've done..

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus

[ QUOTE ]
...when you start dating a girl, realize that she's the perfect match for you in almost every way possible.. and just because she drives a Tahoe you stay awake at night wondering to yourself if you've made a mistake.. “Um, baby, we need to talk...”

[/ QUOTE ]
Actually, I went a way hot date about a week ago—(hey, I'm 22 and a college student, I can talk like that! /images/graemlins/tongue.gif) She mentioned when I got in the car, "I love Jetta's...however...is this a diesel?" I couldn't believe it! Not only was she was cool, hot, and overall amazing, but she was wondering if I drove a diesel! We had a great date, and unfortunately, I had to leave Utah (school) for Oregon (home) two days later—I was left to wonder, "WHY in Bob’s good name did I not meet her 8-months ago?!?" Anyway, I hope to keep in contact with her over the summer.../images/graemlins/grin.gif
-BB

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg

You moved away?! Make sure you keep in touch, she's a keeper! (or at least a "get to know her better"). I'm starting to think Fred needs to make a new forum section for "TDI Singles" so you can meet someone with like interests (or obsessions!) and possibly develop a long-lasting relationship (sorta TDI-like!).

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora

[ QUOTE ]
You moved away?! Make sure you keep in touch, she's a keeper! (or at least a "get to know her better"). I'm starting to think Fred needs to make a new forum section for "TDI Singles" so you can meet someone with like interests (or obsessions!) and possibly develop a long-lasting relationship (sorta TDI-like!).

[/ QUOTE ]

I have seen this on other boards, but unfortunately the TDIClub is pretty much a sausage fest (if you catch my drift) and I don't think there will be much use for a personals section, etc.

sassyrel

Veteran Member
TDI
passat,96,black-metalic

bunch of mighty sick individuilses on this site--and i believe im one of them!!!!! /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif /images/graemlins/rolleyes.gif but wife loves the car also!!!!!!!!

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg

[ QUOTE ]
... unfortunately the TDIClub is pretty much a sausage fest (if you catch my drift)

[/ QUOTE ]

I think that a few of our (female) members might take exception with your statement, T.O.Vento, although I would wager that the majority of the members here "drive a stickshift". As for the forum suggestion, I was being sarcastic, although it would definitely be a topic for "You know you're obsessed when ..." as in "You know your obsessed when you stay up late on the weekend to do some online mackin' on some TDI owning guy/girl!"

2Quick4U

TDI
2001 Golf White

[ QUOTE ]
You know you're obsessed with your TDI when you add lettering to the rear hatch to help spread the TDI Gospel....

[/ QUOTE ]
n1das, you rules !!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

n1das

TDI

[ QUOTE ]
[ QUOTE ]

[/ QUOTE ]
n1das, you rules !!! /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif /images/graemlins/cool.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm going to add "One Tank = 700 Miles" and the word GASOLINE with the international red slashed circle over it, in effect saying "Gasoline Prohibited". /images/graemlins/cool.gif

You know you're obsessed with the TDI when you daydream about how the V10 TDI in the Touareg you can't afford would perform after a chip and injector upgrade. /images/graemlins/cool.gif (Test drove the beast about 2 weeks ago.)

~ n1das