Passat vs Golf Alltrack

BigMule

TDI
2013 Passat
I have a 2013 Passat SE TDI. I love it, but there's the buyback thing. I am investigating replacement options. I bought this Passat because of the advertised gas mileage and I liked the roominess of both the front and backseats.

How does the Golf compare to the Passat as far as roominess in front and in the backseats? Is the 2017 Golf Wagen or Alltrack similar in size to the Passat or is it smaller? Is it any larger than previous Golf or Jetta wagon models?

I would love to get a Passat Alltrack, but it's not available in the US. Getting a new Passat gasser would be fine but it wouldn't have the gas mileage, nor would the Golf wagon. I don't know what's keeping me with VW when this buyback happens. The Passat Alltrack would.

Thanks for any advice.

BarryT82

Veteran Member
TDI
‘12 JSW TDI
We had a Sportwagen before the Passat and the rear leg room is tight. If you have a car seat behind either front seat your knees will possibly touch the dash. We've been looking at the A6 TDI and the BMW 328d wagon. I haven't driven the 328d wagon yet, but it looks nice.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
The Golf is the smaller platform, like the Jetta. Our youngest son has a '13 Jetta TDI, and we drove a '15 Jetta gasser on a week's vacation in CO last summer. We have owned our '13 Passat 3 years since new, and I find NO positive comparison between the two cars. The Passat rides better, has great front seat room, a real rear seat, and a cavernous trunk. And it's well-powered, with FE comparable to the smaller platform cars. IMHO, the Golf will not be an equivalent replacement for the Passat.

IXLR8

Veteran Member
TDI
12 Passat Platinum Gray, 02 Golf Black, 01 Jetta Black
The Passat is much larger than the Golf/Jetta. I was told for interior room, the Passat compares to the Audi A8, although I have not verified it.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
The Passat is much larger than the Golf/Jetta. I was told for interior room, the Passat compares to the Audi A8, although I have not verified it.
I have been in the front seat of an A8, albeit an older one. At the time, I remarked that it was noticeably tighter than our current car (a SAAB 9-5), which car compares favorably to the NMS Passat. So A8? Not so much.

BigMule

TDI
2013 Passat
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like the Golf wagon will not be a comparable replacement for my Passat. I don't know that I want to sacrifice the roomy interior of the Passat. I will have to research the pros/cons of keeping my TDI and getting it fixed, versus finding an alternative.