Nav RNS 510 unit HELP required

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I have already posted this in the Ontario thread, but so far no responses.

I'm basically still brand new to my 2015 Passat. The destruction book is almost useless.
If I want to go to an address in Toronto, the 510 tinks I'm in the USA and I have to go through hoops to enter a Cdn address. I enter "O" for Ontario and I get these choices, Ohio, Oklahome and Oregon. Then I try to enter STATE and it gives me a worldwide selction including Canada.

I've been using GARMIN GPS's since 2002 and they always know what country I'm in.

Is there anyone who has the same unit as I do in what we refer to as the "Greater Toronto Area" who would be willing to edumicate:eek: me in the use of this unit? I'd spring for a couple of wobbly pop's in a neighbohood pub.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Follow up !

I solved one problem. The darn thing thought I was in the USA but I am not.
I bought the car with about 5,500 miles 9,000km on it and obviously someone had it in the USA for a trip and monkeyed around with the GPS settings.
I had to set "STATE" as Canada and then had to jump through hoops to enter a destination.

I found what the problem was. I simply had to set a home location which I did but not right at my house. After setting a home location the darn thing now knows where it is and entering a destination is easy.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Does anyone know why the nav unit does not recognize a SD card? In Setup-Media everything but MDI is greyed out. I can stick a SD card into the slot to try and add some waypoints of my own in *.db3 format and it says loading the file. But it really does not. The unit will play CD/DVD's but that is also greyed out in the actual Setup-Media settings.
I've tried every setting there is and no luck. I've even reloaded the newest firmware and that makes no difference either.

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Does anyone know why the nav unit does not recognize a SD card? In Setup-Media everything but MDI is greyed out. I can stick a SD card into the slot to try and add some waypoints of my own in *.db3 format and it says loading the file. But it really does not. The unit will play CD/DVD's but that is also greyed out in the actual Setup-Media settings.
I've tried every setting there is and no luck. I've even reloaded the newest firmware and that makes no difference either.
I think it only supports SD cards up to 32GB.

As for the POI see http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4226039#post4226039

I'm going to say that WAZE with this https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00P2SC6BQ is WAY better than the POI's in the RNS-510

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I think it only supports SD cards up to 32GB.

As for the POI see http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?p=4226039#post4226039

I'm going to say that WAZE with this https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00P2SC6BQ is WAY better than the POI's in the RNS-510
I'm only using a 2 GB SD card, just a garden variety card and the file is only 665 kb in size.

As for Waze, my cellphone does not work in the USA and even in Canada I do not have a data plan.

I was able to use that SD function about 2 weeks ago when I uploaded a smaller file but now everything but MDI is greyed out and I do not even have a MDI cable and nothing plugged into that port in the console.

I have been using GARMIN GPS's since 2002 and they are a breeze by comparison to the RNS 510.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Follow up !

I do not give up very easy. After a trip to the dealer without any betterment, I started to dig around some more.
I found a program which is to let someone add a map to a Nav unit. In the "Help" file there I found my answer.
It is/was as simple as creating a folder on the SD card and name it "PersonalPOI". Then copy the way pointfile ***.DB3 into that folder. Stick it into the Nav unit and in "Setup" select import.

Well I'm a happy camper now '-)

Last edited:

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
It supports a 2TB card. Are your maps up to date? The firmware may be out of date too.
You must mean a 2 GB ? card, actually it supports 8 GB.
I have the newest firmware and the newest 10M maps.