DSG Shifting questions

zulu125

TDI
2004 Jetta PD & 2014 Passat DSG
I search the forum to see if someone reported a weird opeartion of his DSG on a TDI Passat and found nothing, so here is my issue.
I bought a 2014 Passat TDI MNS with an automatic DSG transmission after driving a Jetta TDI 2004 5 speeds MT for 10 years, so I have no idea of how the DSG should work, but I think it is not working properly and I need the feedback from owners to help me.
Let's start: When I do a stop and don't go to a full stop, restarting at about 8km/h (5m/h), the transmission won't downshift into first gear, it will restart in second. To compare, I asked a co-worker to try his 2013 TDI DSG Jetta to see the difference and wow, the car was downshifting on 1st gear at 10-20 km/h(6-12 m/h) with nice accelaration. I though I had a good comparaison and went to the dealer this morning to have it checked. The mecanic went to test drive it with me and confirmed that the transmission was not shifting as it should be, but tonight when I called to see if they fixed the problem, the service manager said that the VW line said that the transmission was working correctly, so I am a little sceptic. The service manager said that he wanted to find the problem and he will have his mecanic to take the car overnight and plug the computer to find an error code, if there is one.

So here we are, I need the feedback of you owners of NMS PAssat with DSG & TDI about the way their transmissions are working to realy believe the dealer's conclusion.
Best regards.
Zulu125

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
The transmission generally won't go into first gear in drive until you come to practically a complete stop. It will shift to first much sooner in manual and sport modes. It is programmed this way for smoothness, as the shift to first gear is a bit rough around 5-10 MPH.

Also keep in mind that the DSG has a computer controlled clutch instead of a torque converter, so it will feel more like a manual transmission when transitioning from stopped to moving. This can be particularly quirky when reversing up a hill.

Spyke

TDI
2013 Passat TDI Highline DSG
Normal. Mine does the same thing. The DSG is a manual transmission with a computer making it automatic (the way I see it).

When I had my 2012 tdi manual transmission, i couldnt downshift in first if speed was above 7-8 km/h. The DSG acts exactly like my manual transmission.

Spyke

TDI
Zulu, I saw that youre from laval, where did you bought your car? I bought mine at Lauzon Blainville and i have the best experience with them. I'm fully satisfied about the service department.

pparks1

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I tested mine tonight, if I get it to around 15-20mph and then simply let it coast down to a near stop, and kick over to the manual side, my DSG downshifts to first at 8mph.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Yep. And in Drive it switches to 1st around 1 or 2 mph.

zulu125

TDI
Thanks for all this information, as I was saying we can rely on this site's people for getting reliable information. I trust my dealer, he is doing his best to serve me, but has to follow VW rules!
As mentioned before, this is my first DSG so I had no idea of the way it was supposedto work! What I don't understand is the difference between the Jetta and the Passat with same engine and transmission.
Regards

VeeDubTDI

TDI
The difference is in programming between the two vehicles. The Passat is tuned to be a bit smoother.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
Agree with whats been said so far. Appears to be normal behavior. I too complained to my dealer about the very same issue. We took a couple of other TDIs on the lot for a test drive to compare. Same behavior in those. Dealer contacted VWoA and they said this is normal behavior and that the DSG is intentionally programmed this way to maximize fuel economy and that if I wanted it to downshift to 1st sooner I should use "sport" mode.

How I have adjusted my driving behavior to compensate:
When i am near or at a complete stop and need it to shift into first on the spot, I find that momentarily sliding the gear shift over to the right into manual mode and then back to the left into 'D' will knock it down into first. I just find this easier than shifting into sport mode and back.

Last edited:

vw_norm

Gone, but not forgotten.
TDI
2012 NMS TDI SEL Platinum Gray w/moonrock
Sounds normal to me. How many KM on you car now? It takes a few thousand klicks for it to learn and shift better. I know mine was a bit stiff when new, but couldn't be more pleased with the performance to date.

zulu125

TDI
Thank you folks

The car has 3600 kms(2200 m) on it.
According to the comments that I got, I assume that the car has a normal behavior and will follow your suggestions, either shifting to manual or sport mode to force the trans to go to 1st gear, or adapt my driving to a softer mode! I will relax myself!
At least I know that there is nothing wrong with the trans.:)
Regards

Spyke

TDI
Or you could just tap the minus paddle shift on the steering to force it to go in first.

APT

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL
I actually prefer this. Slipping the DSG in second gear is not as harmful as a dry clutch manual. With the Passat TDI tuned for boost a little lower, it works great and gets smooth acceleration. That 2->1 downshift is the roughest shift for the DSG. As mentioned, manual and Sport modes will force that downshift at higher vehicle speeds. I wish the manual mode 2->1 downshift speed was the same as drive.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
First gear is a very steep and short gear. Second is better for the rolling stops - the engine is making plenty of torque, no need to go any lower and rev it.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I wish my 09 had a first gear lock-out. As others have stated, there's plenty of torque, and 2-1 downshifts (in any manual trans, really!) are very difficult to make smooth. Revs jump up too quickly, 1st is just too short (especially for a diesel) and it's just never smooth.

VtdiW

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
Mine downshifts into 1st in drive around 8 mph