Anyone finance a TDI for 1.9% ?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I completely agree. However, don't blame VWoA for this. It's up to the dealer to set up financing, IMHO.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Audi TDI Prestige Sport
Slimy? No. Bad mgmt? possibly...Change in borrowing rates?...happens all the time

Delay in getting the cars to the customers? Happens all the time, with every manufacturer.

It isn't slimy...sorry, TomB, that you're not going to join us...
Why do you continually defend VW?

I have defended their bad products and decisions for year, but this experience was the breaking point.

Not only did they trash the long time customers by building the bloated, Americanized version in Tenn, but then they can't even deliver on it when they announced it.

Don't you understand our $$$$ are valuable? They need us to stay in business. They need to treat us right, but as long as some are willing to just go along to get along and take whatever they give, nothing will change and it will get worse.

Maybe some can live with themselves acting that way, but I cannot. I have principles and expect RESPECT from those who seek my business.

Last edited:

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
tdiatlast,

Really? You get to set your own interest rates?

I guess you just have a more competitive environment than the rest of us, because the Dealer finance guys says none available. Credit Union says our rates are our rates (I called two, BECU and SECUWA).

I have excellent, flawless credit with lots of income and that makes no difference.

If no one is dealing it, it does not exist.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Tom's right. Yes, rates fluctuate, but the majority of banks and CUs don't deviate from published rates.

'Special financing' from dealers is not idiotic. These are manufacturer sponsored incentive rates, which are usually below prime. Are these loans funded by VW? usually not... they manufacture cars, not bank notes. Dealers also offer financing through a slew of other lenders with rates for top tier FICO scores, like Tom's, all the way down to least creditworthy customers.

Last edited:

NateM

TDI
2012 Passat TDI Manual
What sucks is gassers get 1.9% and diesel buyers get shafted. That's BS!!

jumpinjoe

TDI
2012 passat tdi
The Jetta TDI is still at 1.9%. The TDI is the only Passat model that had the offer withdrawn. VW is doing wrong by their customers. Considering the wait for the car, VW credit should extend the interest rate for orders that were placed in 2011. It would be the right thing to do.

NuJoyZguy

TDI
First TDI-currently own a 2006 Passat 4motion
I ordered my Passat TDI SEL in September. In early December I was told it was not going to be delivered until after January. I spoke to VW Customer Service and was told that if I applied for credit before the offer expired, they would honor the 1.9% rate. I filled out the application and was approved in December.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
As with fuel quality, there are difinitely some regional differences that must be coming into play here.

Interest rates must be one of them. I don't pretend to have any magical connections...I just asked the questions, and received answers that were satisfactory to me. I'd like to think it would be so easy everywhere, but obviously it isn't.

My buying/financing experience was completely uneventful. Should I assume EVERY car-buyer in the DC region gets similar treatment? NO! There are probably a dozen dealers, VW and Honda, in the DC area that will never get my business because of their "slimy" tricks. However, I don't blame VWoA, nor do I blame Honda of America. It is the dealership that is responsible.

Yes, I agree that VWoA is blowing this amazing marketing opportunity, with the COTY. How? Why? Several have already posted quite logical reasons, which include:
Completely new state-of-the-art manufacturing facility
Completely new work force
Completely new parts acquisition process, creating supply issues
Totally new rail/truck distribution scheme
Desire to produce perfect cars, which probably causes frequent, but temporary production shut-down for QC issues.

I'm sorry, again, that I've joined this discussion. I'll try to let those of you that have legitimate gripes "talk amongst yourselves."

(FYI, I am not defending VW. I can only relate to you the ease of my transaction, which is clearly the exception to the rule. I know i've annoyed many here by continuing to defend the integrity of the VW service department [Marten's] that has 2 fully qualified, award-winning TDI techs, against overwhelming evidence that VW service departments are beyond dreadful.)

I guess I've been lucky...

Last edited:

TDI_SC

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
My local dealer in Columbia SC called me up on Jan 3rd to lock in a 1.9% rate before it disappeared. And that's without a VIN, either.

TDI_SC

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
Dang these dealers they cause all this drama!

Per VW Credit and Customer Care the dealer is supposed to HONOR the rate at the time you placed the ORDER, not the time the vehicle arrives.

All the finance person needs to do is CALL VW credit through their line and request it.

Call Customer Care at 1-800-822-8987 and get a case number. They have been fielding calls since Friday and CONFIRMED the policy since they were getting so many calls.

NuJoyZguy

TDI
First TDI-currently own a 2006 Passat 4motion
I got a call Saturday that my Black on Black TDI SEL showed up on a truck at the dealer. They told me that they were as surprised as I was that it arrived ( In December I was told it would be delivered in Feburary). Never got the VIN beforehand.

VW needs to improve their communication between their dealers, customers, and headquarters!!

Good news is that I picked it up today.

1.9% was honored.

Seamless transaction with VW in Union NJ. They were great throughout the process.

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
I got a call Saturday that my Black on Black TDI SEL showed up on a truck at the dealer. They told me that they were as surprised as I was that it arrived ( In December I was told it would be delivered in Feburary). Never got the VIN beforehand.

VW needs to improve their communication between their dealers, customers, and headquarters!!

Good news is that I picked it up today.

1.9% was honored.

Seamless transaction with VW in Union NJ. They were great throughout the process.
Good to hear! I will make sure they honor it.

Dismayed

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL-Premium TDI
I completely agree. However, don't blame VWoA for this. It's up to the dealer to set up financing, IMHO.
It's important to avoid clear-cut responsibilities - that way it's always possible to point to the other guy whenever anything gets screwed up. And this *is* screwed up.

Engineers<3Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
Was denied 1.9% financing on my Jetta TDI with no explanation back in October. Perfect credit score as well. I've always heard they use this as a gimich to get in customers but only offer to very few.

Manyvws

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6 spd std
It's awsome and it's sad

The new Passat TDI is a awsome car and I love my SE 6 spd std but,,,
it,s so sad to read what so many of you are going through.

1) Delivery problems, unclear build and ship dates
2) Lack of inventory - high demand
3) Where's the 1.9 ? , I've got a high credit # ????

What's wrong with this picture?

VW Passats manufactured in America, for Americans, by Americans. What a great thing.

What we have here is a lack of manufacturer - dealer communications and the marketing team is way out in left field all by them selves.. While we are at the dealership this comes across as poor customer service because we are not all getting straight answers. Dealers want to sell us cars right? That's how they stay in buisiness.

My dealer found the SE in the color I wanted and 3 weeks later (Dec 19th) I took delivery. I got 1.9 % and they even stetched it to 66 months so I could stick to my budget.

There are good dealers and still good deals out there. Good luck to all looking to buy this vehicle.
When all is said and done, this is an amazing machine and worth some effort to own.
The very best fortune to all in line

Last edited:

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
I'm less inclined to blame the dealer. They have no control over manf sponsored rate programs, production and logistics. VWoA can definitely improve communications with dealers and customers.

As suggested elsewhere, some of us will evaluate whether to wait on a 2013.

Elfnmagik

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently De-Dub'd
Where's that? Sounds like the best deal going...I'd pay MSRP to get 0% and a lifetime warranty (depending on what it covers...even just lifetime powertrain would be great).
Colatown, SC. The rate is limited to certain models, but did include some JSW Tdi's I believe. Most everything else was 1.9%. The warranty is offered on all the vehicles they sell (Mazda, VW, Acura).

TDI_SC

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Colatown, SC. The rate is limited to certain models, but did include some JSW Tdi's I believe. Most everything else was 1.9%. The warranty is offered on all the vehicles they sell (Mazda, VW, Acura).
In Cola SC... Is that the new dealer? I tried to order a Passat TDI Premium from the new VW dealer and they had their head up their you-know-what and said they couldn't order. Lost a sale on that. I went back to the older VW dealer and ordered a car the way I wanted it in no time at all. I'm still waiting on it mind you.

TDI_SC

Tragick

TDI
Passat 2012
I just purchased my tdi on December 23 and received the 1.9% financing loan. I put down $9000 and financed the rest.

Tragick

TDI
Passat 2012
I got the SE trim, silver exterior with black leatherette interior, with sunroof (sunroof is a must for me). As my old TDI Jetta had died I really didn't have the time to shop around too much, but I'm happy!

TomB

Veteran Member
TDI
I got the SE trim, silver exterior with black leatherette interior, with sunroof (sunroof is a must for me). As my old TDI Jetta had died I really didn't have the time to shop around too much, but I'm happy!
Yep, they had plenty of SE in Silver/Gray. I wanted the SEL and Opera Red with BLACK, not beige and they did not have any of them around.

Glad to hear you had such a good experience. I am sure once they get production up to full speed the issues us early adopters are having will be gone.