Automatic trunk opening?

pb88

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Is the trunk on the Passat supposed to open up all the way when you pull the switch on the door or hold down the trunk button on the remote all the time? My trunk only fully swings up fully sometimes, other times it only opens up a couple of inches. More often than not it does not fully open up.

Since I am new VW owner I wasn't sure if this was normal or not. I asked my dealer and he said it's normal but I am not sure if he is BS'ing me.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
if it's similar to my 2010 sedan, it's temperature dependant. All summer long the trunk will pop all the way open but the colder temps of fall/winter/spring affect the gas shocks and the trunk only unlocks and raises an inch or so.

pb88

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
So FYI I brought my car to the dealer for service and they made it so that it opens all the way each time now. They said they adjusted it but what that means exactly I'm not sure. I'm happy though.

JazzBeBop

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE manual
pb88 my passat did the same thing. I will take my car in to have it "adjusted" just like you did.

mbaker01

TDI
2012 VW Passat SE
I have a 2012 Passat...bought it 3rd week of October. Same problem...it unlatches, but does not pop open. My dealer said that was normal....I don't think it is...SOMEONE knows if it should or shouldn't pop open. My dealer said there is no adjustment and that is just the way it works [or doesn't]...there is a gas cylinder in the trunk which may or may not have an adjustment. Reading that pb88 got his dealer to adjust his trunk and it opens all the way every time ...well now I'm ticked at my dealer...not sure what to do at this point...where can I find out for sure if it is supposed to pop open all the way and tell them about an adjustment?? Help!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Our 09 Jetta did the same thing, sluggish in the winter, pops fully in the summer. This was discussed at length in an earlier thread.

The conclusion was that it's temperature dependant.

It's possible that in some instances, the friction points of the hinges might benefit from a shot of lubrication of some sort. That might work for a while, but I'll bet that, ultimately, even you Texas and Georgia folk, in a month or two, will agree that it's a temperature thing.

TDIandPSD

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SEL
I'd also agree that it would be affected by the temperature. In October my trunk would open all the way unassisted. Now that it's colder, it barely opens up. So I'm guessing that come spring time, it'll open all the way again.

Engineers<3Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Jetta TDI
Check the Jetta thread for 2011+. There are springs in the trunk that can be adjusted. I fixed mine to work but have a problem in the cold so just have to adjust the spring a bit more. Takes about 10 minutes to fix and well worth it.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I have in my hands, from VW: 50A5 Update--Passat Quality Assurance Checklist. It is a list of 14 different items, to be inspected and checked off. I don't know WHEN during the sale these are supposed to be checked, or if it's to be done at the free 90 day (?) inspection. Regardless, under the "exterior" section, it says:

"Open trunk with both key fobs 3 times to ensure it swings open all the time and the lock and unlock buttons function correctly."

So...VW is aware of this issue, and is working to correct it...if you don't do it yourself!

mbaker01

TDI
2012 VW Passat SE
I am so thankful for the link you [Engineers<3Diesel] provided!!!! I checked in my trunk, found the springs and plan to fix myself this weekend. I am so appreciative of this site and the expertise found here...geez...I still can't believe the dealership told me there was no adjustment and it just worked that way! Thanks again!!!

arrzilla

TDI
2009 Candy White Jetta Sedan.
My GF's 2010 Jetta trunk used to pop open even on the coldest days. My 2009 Jetta, however, barely popped open even during the summer.

It took me 4 visits to the dealer before they changed the struts on the side. Before they actually replaced it, they just kept putting grease on every moving part they could see.

That, and they kept telling me it was 'normal'.

mbaker01

TDI
2012 VW Passat SE
Had to take my car into the dealer to get the bluetooth control module replaced. Since I had it in there, I printed out the thread with the pics of how to adjust the springs and asked them to go ahead and fix. Got the car back and the bluetooth works great but the trunk still doesn't pop open...think I will just fix myself!

mbaker01

TDI
2012 VW Passat SE
Dealer didn't fix it...

Well I printed out the thread [with pictures] on how to adjust the springs to ensure the trunk pops open. Went in to pick it up and the service manager said everything was fixed. I went out, hit my key fob to open the trunk and presto....it did NOT open!! I went back in to tell the service manager they still didn't have it fixed.... and after apologizing profusely and admitting he didn't check to see if the mechanics had fixed...he said they'd fix it the next time I brought it in...well...we had a warm day here in Illinois so I popped open the trunk, removed the grommeted screws, pulled back the trunk liner and noticed they adjusted the driver's side spring to its tightest tension, and the passenger side spring only to the middle hole...after putting it to the tightest tension as well...VOILA...it pops open every time. Seem like I shouldn't have had to fix it myself with a new car...oh well it works now and I learned something . :D