TDI Virgin!

TDIgrl

TDI
2011 TDI Jetta Sportwagen
Man am I confused! I just bought my new Jetta TDI Sportwagen a couple weeks ago.

Let's see...... is there a better station chain to use for my diesel?
What brand oil? Synthetic is better? Which additives? I have seen SO many different posts!

I am going to play the dumb broad card here & hope you guys will help this single gal out & give me some great info I can understand!
This is my first NEW car & I want to have it for many years to come!
Thanks.......

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Welcome!

1) Use fuel from any station that receives high fuel (diesel) turn-over. This will ensure the fuel is fresh and not water contaminated. Personally, I prefer Sunoco fuel in Pennsylvania and when in Canada I like to fill with Shell V-Power.

2) Use any oil that has a VW 507.00 specification (low-ash properties for protecting the diesel particulate filter (DPF)). These oils are synthetic by nature of the 507.00 specification and at this time they only come in 5W30 weight. Don't use any other oils. You will only find such oils at VW dealers and specialty Euro shops. You can also find them online at places such as ecstuning.com and idparts.com. The oil from the dealer is generally Castrol SLX Professional and comes in a gold bottle with a red cap. Always verify that's it's VW 507.00 rated. I purchase Pentosin Super Performance III 507.00 from ecstuning.com in 5L jugs. http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--TDI/Maintenance/Engine/ES1884221/

3) Steer clear of oil additives. Certain ULSD fuel additives _may_ be advisable. I will not comment further on that matter, other than to say there are several knowledgeable people on this forum who do use lubricity/cetane additives in their CR TDI engines.

4) Your DSG must be serviced at 40,000 miles. Don't let anyone tell you it's a lifetime fill.

Enjoy the car, and once again, welcome!

PS: We're all suckers for photos of cars. Even though we know exactly what it looks like, it's still nice to see the actual owner's car. ;)

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Fuel: Name brand fuel (Chevron, Shell, BP, etc.) is probably more likely to have a better/more reliable additives in them. I stay away from generics whenever possible. Busy (high volume) is also often better.

Oil: VW 507.0 approved oils ONLY!! The easiest to find would be Castrol from VW dealers or Mobil 1 ESP from PepBoys. Most other 507 oils must be mail ordered.

Additives: This is a hot button issue around here. My best advice is to read. There is a ton of info about additives here and people who swear by at least half a dozen brands. I can't (won't) even try to make up your mind for you. The only officially approved additive is up to 5% Biodiesel.

The "trick" to fitting in around here is not to "play dumb". We were all newbies at one time. You need to learn. This place is full of good information - read, read, read.

Have Fun!

Don

P.S. Welcome to the group!

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
2) Use any oil that has a VW 507.00 specification (low-ash properties for protecting the diesel particulate filter (DPF)). These oils are synthetic by nature of the 507.00 specification and at this time they only come in 5W30 weight. Don't use any other oils. You will only find such oils at VW dealers and specialty Euro shops. You can also find them online at places such as ecstuning.com and idparts.com. The oil from the dealer is generally Castrol SLX Professional and comes in a gold bottle with a red cap. Always verify that's it's VW 507.00 rated. I purchase Pentosin Super Performance III 507.00 from ecstuning.com in 5L jugs. http://www.ecstuning.com/Volkswagen-Jetta_V--TDI/Maintenance/Engine/ES1884221/
You can also get Mobil 1 ESP 507.00 at Pep Boys in 1L containers. My 2009 Jetta takes exactly 4 liters, but you're going to have to purchase 5L the first time, fill it with 4L, run the engine for a few minutes, and check the level to see how much, if any, of the 5th liter you have to add. In my case, I nailed the top line of the dipstick with 4L and didn't even need to crack open the 5th liter. 5L is overfilled and can damage things. Most people use 4.0-4.3L, some have used 4.5L.

You may be able to find a NAPA that carries Lubro Moly TopTec 4200, another 507.00 oil, in 5L bottles. My local one said they can order it and have it shipped to the store in their next batch, but they never called me when it arrived, so your mileage may vary. Price is cheaper at IDParts/ECS Tuning (around $55 at NAPA, $40-something at IDParts/ECS Tuning).

Also, please do not get your oil changed at Jiffy Lube or Walmart unless you watch them do it, explain the 4L vs 5L thing that I just explained, and provide the oil yourself. Many parts counter guys will say all synthetics are the same, and this does not apply to your expensive emissions system, which depends on VW 507.00 oil. If you absolutely have to use an oil that isn't VW 507.00 certified, you can (void your warranty and) use Mercedes-Benz 229.51 (aka MB 229.51) certified oils. A good oil that meets that is Mobil 1 ESP Formula M, which is 4 cents more expensive than Mobil 1 ESP and is located right next to Mobil 1 ESP at Pep Boys (so I just use Mobil 1 ESP).

In a pinch - and I mean, it's low and you can't possibly get to a VW dealer or Pep Boys in the next month because you're on the top of a mountain that is thousands of miles away from a dealer - you can use a high quality Diesel engine oil (Rotella T9 for example) to top off only... But as soon as you can, drain and refill with the right oil.

pleopard

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
In a pinch - and I mean, it's low and you can't possibly get to a VW dealer or Pep Boys in the next month because you're on the top of a mountain that is thousands of miles away from a dealer - you can use a high quality Diesel engine oil (Rotella T9 for example) to top off only... But as soon as you can, drain and refill with the right oil.
Good advice, but I would suggest you have 1L of a VW 507.00 rated oil in your trunk at all times. That being said, if you follow the break-in instructions, your engine should consumer very little oil between 10,000 mile oil change intervals. Oh... one last thing. Don't change your oil before the 10,000 mile mark. Some dealers may coerce you into changing at 5000 miles. Do not listen to them. The oil is more than capable of lasting 10,000+ miles and is better for your engine than changing early, believe it or not. Please, if you have any pre-conceived notions that oil must be changed every 3000-5000 miles, please throw those out the window in your new VW TDI world.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
Good advice, but I would suggest you have 1L of a VW 507.00 rated oil in your trunk at all times.
The OP has a Sportwagen, therefore she has no trunk. However, there is a handy storage place on the left side if the back end where a liter of oil fits quite easily (with room to spare).

Have Fun!

Don

Kurtland

TDI
2011 jetta sport wagonTDI DSG
The OP has a Sportwagen, therefore she has no trunk. However, there is a handy storage place on the left side if the back end where a liter of oil fits quite easily (with room to spare).

And one on the right side but not sure if it can hold a oil bottle off the top of my head.

TDIgrl

TDI
Great advise guys & thanks for responding.
I have already read a lot of these threads & came away with a lot of great information..... a little overwhelmed, but I'll figure it out. I just don't want to screw my new car up by doing the wrong thing.

Pleopard.... I'm all about photos & will be sure & take a couple of the new car! In the meantime.... how about one of me with my other ride! I have to go now, I have some reading to do. :)

Thanks again for the warm welcome.

Last edited:

vw2011

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI,2012 Passat TDI,DSG (Golf TDI sold)
Welcome, Iam also new member and proud owner of 2011 golf ,DSG- best advice read tdi faq, how to section (I learn alot from other posts and "veteran" members) - Enjoy your ride

Got Bearings?

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
TDIGrl...
There's a lot of good information on this forum... but there's also quite of bit of paranoia (that comes from good intentions). Don't let it scare you... just read past the emotion and get to the info.

As far as your questions are concerned.
1. Fill up at any brand name station near you (Shell, Chevron, Unocal, etc...) I've traveled all over CA, the US and into Canada and have yet to have any bad fuel. If there's traffic at the station, you'll be fine.

2. Oil: Now this is where you should do your homework. Make sure you read the label on the bottle for the right spec oil. As mentioned, Pep Boys has some as well as your VW dealer. DO NOT TRUST your dealer to give you the correct oil. Take a second and read the label. And I would carry a quart or 2 of oil in the car to top off at any given time.

3. Additives: I have no info/opinion on this. Research.

Open up your owners manual and look at the maintenance schedule and get familiar with it. Trust the people on this forum to be MORE knowledgable that your dealer.

Congrats on the new ride!

K5ING

Mega-Miler
TDI
Silver 2001 Golf GL TDI 5-speed
Think twice before putting fuel in, and make sure it is DIESEL. First-time diesel owners sometimes forget and put gas in especially if they are in a hurry. Happens to veterans too, so I'm not singling you out.

Also, if you ever lend your car to someone, make sure they don't try to do you a favor by putting gas in your car, trying to be nice. You might want to put a sticker on the inside of the fuel filler door with DIESEL ONLY in nice big letters.

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
As risky as it may sound, i would advise you let the dealer service your car for the first 3 intervals, which should be free. They should be using the correct spec oil for your car and you have plenty of time to get acquainted with your new car, read your owners manual a couple times, read all you can on this site regarding your model TDI and just enjoy the car. I say drive more, worry less for now. Proper break-in of the engine is more importNt now, so read up on that. Short version is: don't baby it.

Welcome and enjoy.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
First off, WELCOME! This is the place to read all about TDI's. Even VW now recognizes us. We're much bigger now, and the "I heard" "They say" crowd has grown around here. Don't pay them ANY mind. We used to get people to attach links to what they heard. If they don't, assume that they don't necessarily know what they're talking about. At all.

Also, I'm a guy, but I can tell you that there are quite a few women on this site. Women with real knowledge about their cars. You can do this. Knowledge is power, baby.

P.S. Nice car!

TDIgrl

TDI
I appreciate all the posts from everyone , I DO feel very welcomed!
I apologize in advance for saying this (in case any of you work at a dealership) but, I certainly had not gotten good advise from anyone at the dealerships I had spoken with prior to joining this website. A dead giveaway of stupidity is when I asked a salesman (before I purchased my car) what the "Mat Kit" included. He told me, "Ummm, I'm not sure but I think you would get 4 rubber mats."

I'm planning a road trip at the end of Sept from NorCal to Wyoming. That will be my "break-in" period.

I do have 1 question about the oil. Is there 1 brand that you guys like better for the TDI? If it's mail order, which online site do you think is best?

And, K5ING.......... I don't lend my $1200 downhill skateboard to ANYONE, I'm sure as heck not going to lend my car!! :D

Last edited:

wensteph

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg sold to VW 2014 Audi Q5 re-programmed
I do have 1 question about the oil. Is there 1 brand that you guys like better for the TDI? If it's mail order, which online site do you think is best?
There is not one brand that is "better". I would imagine the UOAs for your engine show similar wear numbers regardless of brand. You're limited to the VW spec 507 oils and there are not a ton of them available in the US. Oil analysts that I've used have a preference for the formulations of Fuchs and Total. Castrol products are generally not well thought of.

Fuchs 507 is available here: http://www.germanfilters.com/5w30-50...3967_4051.html

Total Ineo, Petrosin, LM available from forum vendor here: http://www.idparts.com/catalog/index...a6v86cbs9hkic5

Total Ineo also from forum vendor here: http://www.worldimpex.com/parts/tota...1l_911894.html

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"

And one on the right side but not sure if it can hold a oil bottle off the top of my head.
If those compartments are the same as on my '05, yes a quart will fit in the First Aid kit storage on the right. On the left, I can fit one in where the CD changer would have been mounted. However, I carry the spare quart in the storage compartment above the spare tire.

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
I don't ever have a need to top off, so I don't carry any with me... If this happens frequently, you may have a problem :)

I use Mobil 1 ESP because it's readily available and cheaper than Castrol SLX Professional LL03.

If I were to order any oil from online, it would be Lubro Moly Top Tec 4200. Mainly because I like the guy that runs that company, but also because it seems to be a higher quality oil than anything else available (but I think the same statement applies for Fuchs and Total).

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
K 5 ING ^^^^^^^^^

As I just gave up my 1995 Saturn (purchased new) and donated it to USC's public radio with 651,xxx miles on it ( at 41 mpg). Kept full spreadsheet on the car, for maintenance purposes.
New to Diesel (May '11 Golf TDI DSG & already at 12,780 miles). Your mileage encourages me, even though this will be a learning experience.

My car is a 2011 Golf DSG TDI = currently at 50.08 mpg

TDIgrl

TDI
I just ordered a case of Liqui Moly Tec 4200 5w30 507.00 from IDparts.com

Hope I did good!

Ziggy.... I'm going to be road-trippin so I don't want to be caught out in the middle of the vast tundra without a reserve of good oil..... & my pistol! :D

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I can attest to IDparts being reliable, friendly, approachable, a good deal, and good people. You really can't go wrong with them! They don't sell anything but top quality stuff and I dare you to find anything less expensive. They use the stuff they sell! :);):D

3516ACERT

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
I agree, IDParts was a quick delivery, accurate box full of oil and filters arrived with no issues and very quickly. I went with Pentosin, but as far as I know, oil could be like fuel, all 507 spec might be indistinguishable.

TDIgrl

TDI
Had my official 1st fill up today! I had less than a gallon left, (I put 13.467 gallons in!) so I headed out this morning to fill up the tank. I went to 3 Shell stations & none of them has diesel. Holy sh*t! Before I ran out of fuel, I pulled in to a 76 station. It said Diesel #2 on the pump.... not sure if that really means anything & also hoping the diesel is ok. I'm pretty happy with my 1st average! Is it weird being this excited? :D
FUELLY is awesome!!!

Tarbe

Veteran Member
TDI
Touareg and Sportwagon Sold to VW
I just ordered a case of Liqui Moly Tec 4200 5w30 507.00 from IDparts.com

Hope I did good!

Ziggy.... I'm going to be road-trippin so I don't want to be caught out in the middle of the vast tundra without a reserve of good oil..... & my pistol! :D

You carry oil and guns. My kind of people! :D

Tim

c17chief

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2dr
Had my official 1st fill up today! I had less than a gallon left, (I put 13.467 gallons in!) so I headed out this morning to fill up the tank. I went to 3 Shell stations & none of them has diesel. Holy sh*t! Before I ran out of fuel, I pulled in to a 76 station. It said Diesel #2 on the pump.... not sure if that really means anything & also hoping the diesel is ok. I'm pretty happy with my 1st average! Is it weird being this excited? :D
FUELLY is awesome!!!
Diesel is diesel at pretty much any roadside retail station anymore since the ULSD requirement has totally gone into effect. Even a year or so ago there were some places you had to make sure you were pumping ULSD (new standard which our cars require) and not LSD(previous standard which isnt good for our cars) fuel, but that isnt an issue anymore.

As far as the D2 goes...... basicly there are 2 common mixes/grade/types/whatever you want to call it of petro diesel (without getting into bio), D1 and D2. D2 is the standard fuel seen in most places, available year round in warmer climates, and considered a summer blend in very cold climates. D1 is a winter blend for cold climates that better resists freezing, gelling, etc, but also isnt as efficient, thus only sold when and where it is cold. The designation basicly is D for diesel and the number for the type....diesel #1 and diesel #2.

Then comes biodiesel. It's designation is a bit different then they above. With bio, the B is for biodiesel, but the number that follows the B is the concentration of biodiesel mixed with normal ole D2. For example B2 is 2% biodiesel, and B100 is 100% biodiesel with no D2 mixed. The book calls for using no higher then B5, but concensus is the new diesels are OK up to B20. Since the book calls for no higher then B5, anything more is at your own risk of course, so to me, I wouldnt use higher then B5 no matter how good or bad it may be untill at least the warranty is up.

3516ACERT

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW
Welcome to the discussion.

If you have a smart phone, download an app called "Gas Buddy" or one of the dozen or so similar applications. It will tell you where to get diesel, closest to you or you can sort by best price.

Just remember, when sorting by best price it's not always in your best interest to drive 14.5 miles out of your way to save 5 cents a gallon, since it will cost you 7 cents a mile to get there and back.

After a few fill ups you'll start to notice where to buy diesel, and make note of the stations that offer that "fourth" price.

At 45 - 50 mpg, you only have to buy fuel every 600 miles, so don't be too bummed if you have to find some diesel, it's only a few times a month for me.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Diesel prices can vary a lot depending on brand. The Shell station run by the Indian casino down the street, just raised their price by 10 cents to $4.19 so I drove 5 miles to a Valero station and got it for $3.96. As I put in 12.6 gallons, I saved $2.90 on the tank.