Group 2 Fix: be careful at dealer!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
I was at our local dealer for the second time, trying to get caught up on the recalls on our Passat. They got the airbag initiator the first time, but our O2 sensor didn't pass (some do, service writer said ours was the first one that didn't), so I had to go back. Both times, he very casually asked: "Do you want to do the emissions update?" A very big caveat here. He was actually asking if I wanted them to do the Group 2 FIX! And, had I said "yes," and they did it, according to him, we would then be ineligible for the buyback.....which is what we intend to do, next year.
So, nota bene, if you go into a dealer for service, make it abundantly clear that you do not want the Group 2 fix done (unless, of course, that's what you're there for). Just to make sure there's no possibility that it could happen inadvertently, I think I'm staying completely away from a dealer until Buyback Day.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I was at our local dealer for the second time, trying to get caught up on the recalls on our Passat. They got the airbag initiator the first time, but our O2 sensor didn't pass (some do, service writer said ours was the first one that didn't), so I had to go back. Both times, he very casually asked: "Do you want to do the emissions update?" A very big caveat here. He was actually asking if I wanted them to do the Group 2 FIX! And, had I said "yes," and they did it, according to him, we would then be ineligible for the buyback.....which is what we intend to do, next year.
So, nota bene, if you go into a dealer for service, make it abundantly clear that you do not want the Group 2 fix done (unless, of course, that's what you're there for). Just to make sure there's no possibility that it could happen inadvertently, I think I'm staying completely away from a dealer until Buyback Day.
Well yah.........VW is not gonna pay you twice!

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Well yah.........VW is not gonna pay you twice!
If that's what you took from my post, I'll reword it more concisely: Be careful that a dealer doesn't inadvertently perform the fix when you're planning on doing the buyback.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
they should not be able to perform the fix when your vin was check marked buyback during the 6 pages of notarized material that was sent in. Even if they do the fix, your notarized paperwork says otherwise.
** Edit, wait- I remember verbiage that we can change our selection.... oh man, yes that would be a very unwelcome $20K oops

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Have you had that old emissions recall (O235?) that was issued back in '15? He may have been referencing that.

Did he clarify he was talking about the diesel-gate emissions fix.

TheGrove

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Interesting, maybe it was just me as I had my sister take mine in (I'm housebound right now). When they went to do the fix the service writer had to get VWOA on a conference call with me so I could approve the fix before VWOA would release the unlock code to the dealer. I know when I was agreeing to it the VWOA rep was very specific to say that if I did this I would be ineligible for the buyback and I had to acknowledge that I understood this. Like I said, maybe it was just my situation.

showdown 42

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 TDI touareg
The whole buy back situation is a mess. The 2.0 buy back was a simple procedure,well spelled out and reasonably easy to make a decision.

I have a gen 1 Treg TDI and have no information on what the deal is and what the timing is. As of now no fix,but that was also said about the 09 TDI and now there is a fix for that car announced and available soon. All of this is very weird.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<snip>

Did he clarify he was talking about the diesel-gate emissions fix.
YES. He specifically told me "If you have this done, then you can't do the buyback." I made it very clear that I didn't want that done, and, as I stated above, I may just play it safe and avoid the dealer if at all possible until we turn this car in.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wow, thats pretty crazy, but I'm not surprised!

DaveTC

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I am bringing mine in tomorrow for the DEF tank heater issue and for the airbag/heat shield recalls. Initially they said that there were 4 recalls and I said that I did not want any emissions recall work done. I was specific because of this thread. Finally, the rep said that one did require permission from VWOA. I thought we had is all settled, but the work order was written up as check engine light, 69M9 Takata Air Bag, and Recall Other. The "other" is more vague than we agreed upon and increases the chance of a screw up. I plan to drop it off the night before and clearly indicate what I want done.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<snip>I plan to drop it off the night before and clearly indicate what I want done.
I think this would be very wise. Does the dealer make more money doing the fix, or allowing a buyback to be done on their premises— that is the question.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Don't think the dealer makes anything on BB, VWoA gotta be cutting them checks for service time for the fixes thou.

As nasty as it'd be, if they perform a fix without your consent, you'd have to go down the rabbit hole insisting to see the signatures that you provided consent and you'd win.

For those holding out for BB in '18, it'd be best to get a formal offer now for buy back and then you'd have proof of your intent.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I plan to drop it off the night before and clearly indicate what I want done.
ANY TIME you "...drop it off the night before..." you're asking for trouble.

I'm very lucky that I can carve out the time to drive in and wait on any service. A thorough discussion of the service requested, and authorized, is critical.

I've walked away from service departments (Honda/Toyota/VW) that seem unduly annoyed by my request that I wait on the job. I accept some annoyance, but if it's angry/annoyed, I take my request elsewhere.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Sounds like DavtTC will drop it off and discuss the work with the service manager, that may or may not work to his advantage, still better than using the night key drop box and filled out envelope.

DaveTC

TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE
I did drop off the key in the dropoff box the night before. They call to say that there would be a $130 fee for diagnosing the check engine light if it was not warranty related. It was the AdBlue heater circuit issue that is covered under warranty, so all work was free. Everything was performed as asked.

They did tell me how dirty my cabin air filter that I changed about a month ago was and wanted to change that. I checked it tonight and there were a few small leaves in it but nothing that would make the air inside my car as toxic as they made it sound.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
<snip>

They did tell me how dirty my cabin air filter that I changed about a month ago was and wanted to change that. I checked it tonight and there were a few small leaves in it but nothing that would make the air inside my car as toxic as they made it sound.
Great little way to make a quick profit. Any reasonably coordinated tech can (as you know since you've done it) swap out that cabin filter in 5-6 minutes, and we get a bill for $75-80. I've run up against this a few times, and I just answer "Nope."
This is also why I like the current practice of getting a signed work order in hand while the car is being taken into the shop. At one point, a number of years ago, I was confronted with a charge for an oil change when leaving a dealer after having some other work done. I told them I hadn't ordered and oil change. I got "Well, we just normally...." To which I replied "I changed that oil a couple of weeks ago." The tech happened to be up there getting someone else's keys, and he remarked "Yeah, I thought that oil looked awful clean." They deducted it from the bill.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Here is it very simple - VW dealer cannot do the Emissions fix if you haven't signed up to do the fix. We have a web tool that allows us to start the update - this tool will tell us if you have done your paper work and will not let us proceed until you have done your paper work. Government is monitoring this very closely. $8000 a day fine is not worth risking.

Jason

TheGrove

TDI
2012 Passat SEL Premium Opera Red - Dieselgate Fix, KermaTDI Tune, 2004 Passat GLS Northern Green-RIP
Here is it very simple - VW dealer cannot do the Emissions fix if you haven't signed up to do the fix. We have a web tool that allows us to start the update - this tool will tell us if you have done your paper work and will not let us proceed until you have done your paper work. Government is monitoring this very closely. $8000 a day fine is not worth risking.

Jason
Not completely true, I started my paperwork but never finished it. I received notice that the fix was available and had it performed a couple weeks ago. I just finished uploading my documentation last week and received my offer on Thursday. The offer came documenting that I already had the fix performed so all I need to do is upload the notarized offer back to them and I should be getting a payment soon.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Not completely true, I started my paperwork but never finished it. I received notice that the fix was available and had it performed a couple weeks ago. I just finished uploading my documentation last week and received my offer on Thursday. The offer came documenting that I already had the fix performed so all I need to do is upload the notarized offer back to them and I should be getting a payment soon.

Wait, so you had the software fix performed at a dealer, before the online portal documents (Step 15) were complete?

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
Right, and you started the paper work. If you leave it completely alone our system won't let us start the update. I don't do that part of the process, but know we have had to reschedule some customers and help others start the process before we could start our part.

Jason

TheGrove

TDI
Wait, so you had the software fix performed at a dealer, before the online portal documents (Step 15) were complete?
Right, and you started the paper work. If you leave it completely alone our system won't let us start the update. I don't do that part of the process, but know we have had to reschedule some customers and help others start the process before we could start our part.

Jason
Yes, I had forgotten that I started and never finished. But I received a packet in the mail with a letter and information telling me that the fix was available. So when I needed to do my 220,000 mile service I also scheduled to have the fix done, the heat shield recall and the O2 sensor recall done. In addition they did the air bag recall while the car was there as well. All said they got started by 8am and I received a call from VWOA and the service writer about 8:30ish asking me if it was ok for them to do the fix. Once I did that VWOA gave the dealership the unlock code to apply the fix. They were done a little after 11 except for documenting the emissions fix - they were having camera problems.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
wow the process time line has completely changed, i didn't think anything could be completed until the online portal was complete. Guess it makes sense that VWoA was on the line, they may have been able to back door the paperwork for you.

I'd have to imagine VWoA wants as many people to perform the fix as possible and is bending over backwards to get people into the fix. It'll be cheaper in the short run earnings wise, who knows how the long run will be with the warranty.