Check Engine Light

scottysize

TDI
Passat SE/Sunroof
Little background before my story, I found a 2015 Ram EcoDiesel in March that I bought and parked the Passat TDI. I haven't driven the car since then until a few weeks ago...

So here's what happened to me today: My check engine light came on a few weeks ago. All I wanted was to drive the car around town to make sure it'd get to the VW dealer in October? I thought,"Great. Now I have to get this stupid light fixed before they'll take the car back." I drop it off today and the Service guy just called me to tell me what the problem is. The temperature sensor in the AdBlue otherwise known as DEF tank is bad. They want $1600 to fix it. Hold on, let me tell you how I heard it in my mind;

"You have a part that belongs to the equipment used for emissions that is bad and we want you to give us $1600 to fix the part that is on the system that we are buying back your car because it won't pass emissions without us cheating."

My answer obviously was a resounding, NO! Not only no, but H E double Hockey sticks, NO! I asked the guy what would happen if I didn't fix it. He said he had no idea. The only thing he knows is that they are docking us for miles and checking to make sure it's in good working order. He doesn't know what good working order is. I told him that the car had only been to them since it was new and they have done all the maintenance on it, so I've done my part right up until today. I'm not fixing a part of the system that is being recalled. Nope. Not me.

Needless to say, I'm taking the car home without replacing the $1600 part. I going to park it back in the driveway where it was until they give me the buy back appointment. Then I'm going to take the car back and collect my check.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
It appears that as long as you can drive to car the dealer, it doesn't matter if the CEL is on, or any other issue with the car for that matter. My Jetta has some minor body damage, but that won't affect what they pay me.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
The car can absolutely be turned in this way. The legal settlement states that the car must be operable, and "operable" is defined in that settlement as being able to be driven into the turn-in location "under its own 2.0 diesel engine power." And that is the only requirement.
Our youngest son was T-boned in his '13 Jetta 2 months ago, can't open the passenger door, but nothing so bad as to render the car undriveable. He's driving it to turn in just that way.

rbreding

TDI
2015 JSEL (buyback) 2015 PSEL (buyback) 2016 328d (keeper)
speaking of this issue with the adblu tanks. Has this happened on any 2015s that anyone is aware of or was the design changed with the new 288 engine in the 15s ?

fredthe

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagon SEL DSG
speaking of this issue with the adblu tanks. Has this happened on any 2015s that anyone is aware of or was the design changed with the new 288 engine in the 15s ?
I'm not aware of any 2015 failures, but it looks like this is a time-based failure which doesn't manifest for at least 2 years. The 15's haven't been out long enough to tell.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
not many 15's out there as the dieselgate hit half way threw the sales season