6 Speed Manual Throw Out Bearing Failure?

rcm13502

TDI
2013 Passat SE TDI 6MT
I have a 2013 Passat TDI, 6-speed manual transmission with 115K miles on it. Last Friday when I went to downshift before pulling into a parking lot the clutch pedal went straight to the floor and I couldn't shift. Needed to have the car towed to the dealer who took a look at it this morning.

The diagnostic was that the throw out bearing is leaking fluid and it plus the clutch need to be replaced. I'm not that knowledgeable about transmissions and was wondering if it sounds correct that the clutch should also be replaced. Another expensive repair before potentially selling the car back to VW later this year.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Yeah, it happens. The hydraulic release bearing fails. Some other vehicles over the years were like this, too.

You really don't need to mess with the flywheel/clutch if there is no reason to do so.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
You'd have to be crazy to take the gearbox off, change the bearing, and not replace the friction plate at the same time.

atc98002

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL Premium (sold back), 2009 Jetta (sold back), 80 Rabbit diesel (long gone)
Well, it you are sure it's going away with the buyback, skip the clutch. You are required to be able to drive it to the dealer, but it doesn't matter if anything else is wrong. If there's any chance you are going to keep the car, I'd change the clutch as well. Much easier since you have to pull the trans anyway to get to the TO bearing.

Mark SF

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDi
If you're paying for this repair, I would find an independent mechanic who charges a lot less than the dealer. If you still have the dealer credit card, spend that on the parts - throw out assembly, and friction plate. Then you have a quality job at the lowest outlay to you.