Aftermarket turbo

copbait

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat TDi, 13 Passat TDi SEL
Before I start this post I want to say I feel like this turbo post deserves its own thread that is why I did not post this in the other thread, if it needs to be moved though I understand.

I think I am another case of turbo failure, VW says they may warranty my case. In the case they do not, has anyone developed a QUALITY turbo replacement for the crap that VW installed. If I have to pay for a replacement out of my own pocket I would sure like a quality one.

Salsaman06

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL (sold back to VWoA Dec 21, 2016)
yeah i'm wondering that too. Did you already pass 60K on the odo?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I don't know what a branded title is.

If you're looking for upgrades, there are a number of options. There are a few commonrail owners in the club who have gone with larger than stock turbos for more power.

I don't know what's available for stock sizing without making major modifications. Of course, upsizing will also require major modifications.

copbait

Veteran Member
TDI
Branded means insurance paid to have the car replaced, either b/c of water, theft, wreck, fire, etc. In my case wrecked. VeeDubTDI That is okay with me. I will try searching the CR Jetta's, I never thought about that. Thank you?

When you say major mods, are we talking a new tune or just physical modifications?

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
VW will never know what kind of title you have unless you have told them, or it was at their shop when insurance totaled it.

Softrockrenegade

Veteran Member
TDI
None...2011 Golf DSG (replaced by VW W/) 2013 Passat SE 6M(bought back) Current 2017 sportwagen TSI 4Motion.
So your turbo failed , get it replaced under warrenty and chances are you will be fine for a long time... From reading here it seems like this is a big problem but IMO it's a random issue with manufacturing. These turbos need very tight and precise manufacturing tolerances due to their duty and if something is a bit off it will show its self early.

copbait

Veteran Member
TDI
No it was not, I don't know how they know. My service advisor was really nice and he told me usually the screen will say no warranty on branded vehicles but mine says confirm with warranty manager. So until he can check with the warranty manger he will not know.

50pascals

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 A6 3.0 TDI Prestige, prior was a 2013 TDI Passat SEL Plus
No it was not, I don't know how they know. My service advisor was really nice and he told me usually the screen will say no warranty on branded vehicles but mine says confirm with warranty manager. So until he can check with the warranty manger he will not know.
Your state DMV database will have this information. It is semi-publicly available, so the dealer software likely taps that database automatically.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
I figured I'd follow up in this thread and link to a post by oilhammer in the turbo failure thread.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4419182&postcount=211

oilhammer said:
Couple notes on the CKRA: it is quite a bit different than the other engines. Exhaust ports are totally different shape, and the high-pressure EGR goes directly into the head (no pipe attaches to the turbo exhaust casting). They also have the oil feed pipe attached on the rear of the block, via a banjo bolt going directly into the oil gallery...
A lot of research will be required to find a suitable upgrade for this engine.

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
VW will never know what kind of title you have unless you have told them, or it was at their shop when insurance totaled it.
Wrong. If insurance has made a total loss claim on the car VW has that information.

copbait

Veteran Member
TDI
Thank you all for the info. I have dropped my car off at the dealer and they are in the process of fixing it, they even gave me a 14 Passat tdi sel with 100 miles to drive. I am very happy with my dealership!!! I hope I can say the same about my new turbo.