What's the coldest temp you started your TDI in ?

Manyvws

TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE 6 spd std
While I've seen -30 in past winters, so far -18 and this motor started right up though it labored a bit for a minute. My Maine dealer said I wouldn't need a block heater with this motor. "Just wait until the light turns off"
He's been right so far.

What's your thoughts ?
:cool:

BleachedBora

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'81 DMC-12, '15 GL350 CDI 275 hp/448 tq - '81 Caddy CJAA, '05 E320 CDI 250hp/450 tq, '23 ID4 AWD Pro S Plus
It wasn't my TDI, but I was in a TDI in Finland when it started right up at about 45 below or so. That was -45C (-49F).

Yes, it had a block heater, everyone has them there. :)
-BB

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Need one? No. Does your engine benefit from having one? I say yes. Even in 30f ambient, it's nice to have coolant at 105-115f. at start-up. Less strain on the engine, and on the MPG, as well!

Papachristou

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE DSG
these new gen diesels arent fazed by the cold like the old one were. THey will start without any issue well into temps that would have been a major issue for old generations so this thread is kind of pointless.

you dont HAVE to have a block heater but they are great for comfort and increasing mpg right off the bat. i had one on my old tdi and if i end up with another tdi, i will certainly add one. they sure wont hurt the engine anyway. if you regularly see subzero temps, id pick one up just for the comfort factor.

physicshogon

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat
The issue we should be most concerned about here is diesel gelling---not the block temperature. The block itself is pretty resilient. The fuel on the other hand...that's a different story if you don't use any de-gellers.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
The issue we should be most concerned about here is diesel gelling---not the block temperature. The block itself is pretty resilient. The fuel on the other hand...that's a different story if you don't use any de-gellers.

Or if you don't know what the current gel point of the fuel you buy is set at. Truck stops usually know what temps their fuel will gel at, around here i've never had an issue with gelled fuel.

Tragick

TDI
Passat 2012
Does anyone know what the recommended temperature is before adding de-geller? CT has been pretty warm this year so far but I have't seen a hard number anywhere.
Thanks in advance.
Ed

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Does anyone know what the recommended temperature is before adding de-geller? CT has been pretty warm this year so far but I have't seen a hard number anywhere.
Thanks in advance.
Ed
I'll bet someone has the specifics, but each state has a required minimum gelling temp based on date, to get an actual number you would have to check out that chart (has been posted here in the past) and make a decision based on month/ state/ temperature.
As a rule, I'd say SIGNIFICANTLY colder than average for the place where you filled up. The biggest worry I'd have is things like refueling in the south, then driving north (our cars can drive the majority of the USA in north / south direction) in to a winter storm, or fill ups that last 3 months.

dremd

Veteran Member
TDI
06 sprinter. 03 jetta wagon premium with 6 speed ALH swap, 14 JSW
Started my car Sunday in an unexpected 24 Deg (coolant temp) morning at a TDI buddies house significantly north of mine, car fired up instantly, much more quickly than my video from several years ago. Differences since then are numerous, Different transmission / starter, Timing belt job, Lift pump, Tune, and tons more that I doubt would make any difference.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Hard to say what temp. I don't bother until ~10* forecasted, with one exception: your fuel tank will accumulate condensation throughout the warm season, so best to prepare for the first cold snap with a couple tanks with additive. My gelling incident back in 2008 happened on the first cold snap. Like many, I felt a known good fuel source is sufficient insurance. Lesson learned. Glad I keep a spare filter in the trunk.