Source for sunroof seal

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Hi gang,

I have most of the interior out of my 97 passat sedan, and I'm looking for a new sunroof seal. If somebody has a source for one, please let me know. I looked on Amazon, and eBay but I'm not seeing anything that specifically says it will fit the B4...

Thanks
Steve

gfnetadmin

Veteran Member
TDI
97 Passat
Sunroof Seal

I believe only source would be VW dealer, they are expensive.
Had a pretty bad leak in mine. I was advised by a very good glass guy to give things a look before changing the seal. He looked at mine, said something like the seal will leak no matter how good it is, didn't think my seal needed replacement. Told me to clean out the 4 sunroof drains and adjust the height of the sunroof.
I had the headliner out at the time,, and with the help of a garden hose, actually saw water dripping down into drip trays below the sunroof, all the way around the perimeter.
Even though I thought I had my drains clean,, I could see water pooling up in the drip trays, and spilling over. Gave the drains another cleaning, made a difference,, still quite of water dripping down into these trays.
Adjusted the height of the sunroof glass, there's a Bentley procedure for it,, and my leaks were gone. From what I recall, the front should be a little higher than the back,, don't have that information handy right now. Wasn't convinced that this fixed my leak,, drove the car most of last winter without a headliner,, no leaks. Strange though,, without the headliner, you can hear some water dripping down into these trays.

Last edited:

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat wagon tdi, 1991 Corrado TDI (sold)1983 Vanagon 7pass.GL 1.6td 1982 Westy;THE PHOENIX 1.6na(NOW JX/5speed) my partner's 2014 Jetta Sportwagon 6spd manual AND MY NEW TOY/PROJECT... Sunny, a bright yellow 87 syncro Westy with 1Z TDI motor
Thanks... I will check for leaks, but the seal is very worn, and now seems like the best time to fix it.

Dealer will be a lot of $$$... anyone know a functional aftermarket seal?

Thanks
Steve

floater62

TDI
96’ B4V .RIP “Stella” 1997 Windsor blue B4
Pretty sure they are the same as the Golfs/Jettas with the glass sunroof part 357877209A
Looks to be around $100 online. I want to replace mine one day for looks. From what I remember reading about it, getting it right is a bear. Lots of clamping.

Steve Addy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
97 Mk3
Pretty sure they are the same as the Golfs/Jettas with the glass sunroof part 357877209A
Looks to be around $100 online. I want to replace mine one day for looks. From what I remember reading about it, getting it right is a bear. Lots of clamping.
The Mk3 and B3/4 share the same seal, but the glass panel is different.

If you ever need to determine what model the glass comes from look at the ID tag, it will say what model it comes from, B3, B4, A3 etc.

If the glass panel doesn't say what model it fits then I would not accept it.

Steve

tbones

Veteran Member
TDI
UPDATE:

Hi Gang,

I removed the sunroof glass from the body-bolted structure, and found the bond between the frame and glass had separated. I had a spare glass, and used it, not trusting my ability to reseal the glass to frame properly. the other glass had a serviceable seal, so I didn't order one from the dealer.

It's not leaking, so I've reinstalled the newly recovered headliner... make the interior look 1000% better!!

thanks for all the help!