engine load & stinky mileage

TDI
BEW
I've got an '05 Jetta TDI with a tiptronic auto trans, using my Actron obd2 reader it shows approximately 43% load while idling in park. That seems excessive and my fuel mileage is disappointing! I get around 29 mpg with no soot or any signs of extra fuel being injected. Any and all help is greatly appreciated

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Is this all based off the Actron? Or does your real fillups confirm this?

andreigbs

Veteran Member
TDI
N/A
I agree with Mongler98. Unless you have some real logged data of calculated FE, this can only be a guessing game.

You can expect a FE loss just due to the auto slushbox and most likely continuous use of A/C down there in Florida.

Add in possibly low tire pressures, clogged up air filter, dragging brakes, or a failing MAF (see? the guessing game!) and you've got a thousand variables to look at.

Start by properly calculating FE numbers the old-fashioned way, then let's revisit this.

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Is this all based off the Actron? Or does your real fillups confirm this?

He says he's getting 29mpg. That seems confirmed unless he doesn't know how to calculate MPG correctly (which a fair number of people don't do well beyond the math).

TDI
BEW
the 29 mpg is a real (accurate) number, without a/c I'm at 31. but as was stated earlier this is Florida, so a/c is mandatory. I only hooked up the actron after a few tanks with low fe. tires are aired up & filters are all new. I'm no fan of automatic trannys so a manual conversion is already on the list. once again, thanks for any help

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Read through my sticky thread in the Fuel Economy section.

Check off each and every item that applies to your car.

On a PD you could also have a cam/lifter on its way out, especially if incorrect oil has been used.

Your Actron tool is worthless.