Anyone ever swap and manual transmission for a DSG?

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
I bought this nice 06 Jetta for my daughter but she is refusing to drive a manual. I know there are a lot of people that prefer a manual over a DSG and do the swap. How difficult would it be to swap the manual to DSG?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
More difficult than teaching her how to drive a manual. I bet she'll be willing to learn if the alternative is walking.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
So true. For a few years now, I have been trying to get my GD to just check the oil, coolant, ATF and tire pressure with Zero effect. The connection between what can happens if you neglect simple maintenance and walking is just impossible for her to understand.

And yet the concepts put forth by the flat earth society just might have some validity to her.

I would say have her buy a bus pass. Of course if she is like a lot of people, she would probably just tear a clutch up by not learning to drive it correctly. One guy that posted here destroyed the clutch on his brand new Golf within about 20 miles of driving. He didn't understand that if your engine is lugging you need to downshift and that slipping the clutch is not how you handle the situation.

Last edited:

narongc73

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
Don’t do it! You’d need wiring harnesses. I have gone dsg to manual and it’s bad enough.

brownnugen

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW TDI, 2011 JSW TDI & 2018 Atlas 2.0T S
I feel like I should just sell this and buy a DSG. Anybody interested in a 2006 with 273k miles?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
May I suggest a gently used Corolla or other appliance type car? The 2006 Corolla we gave our GD was the perfect economy car (low miles with an automatic) until it impaled it's self on the hitch of a stopped in traffic pickup truck while she was doing about 25 MPH.

It even survived the first unsupervised oil change she did when she drained the tranny and added 4 quarts of oil to the engine and decided she didn't want Micky Dee's to fire her for being late for work and thought nothing of driving the car 4 quarts of oil overfilled and the transmission drained. :eek:

She had been driving it like this for about 2 weeks when by chance I checked the fluids and the oil was massively overfilled and the ATF dipstick was bone dry. Good job Toyota!!!! If your daughter is like a lot of young people these days, the concept of even basic maintenance will be way to much hassle to deal with.

Last edited: