Low oil level - worried..

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
To get back to the oil consumption issue. .5L in 10k is not abnormal....but....and this is a big but....make sure that oil is not getting past your turbo seals and collecting in your intercooler. There are multiple write-ups on here about how to drain the oil out of the intercooler. If it is not being consumed by combustion but being pushed into the intercooler instead, you might be on your way to a run-away condition.

The cars are designed to be checked when you stop for fuel. IIRC the owners manual recommends checking the oil level each time you refuel the car. Years ago this was standard practice at full-service fueling stations....the attendant would always ask...would you like me to check the oil?

To chime in on the dipstick debate.....to me...MIN would be the same thing as ADD oil. The cross-hatched area represents the 'operating range' and if it is below that then you would need to add to get it back into the acceptable operating range. Just my two cents.

NewOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
To get back to the oil consumption issue. .5L in 10k is not abnormal....but....and this is a big but....make sure that oil is not getting past your turbo seals and collecting in your intercooler. There are multiple write-ups on here about how to drain the oil out of the intercooler. If it is not being consumed by combustion but being pushed into the intercooler instead, you might be on your way to a run-away condition.

The cars are designed to be checked when you stop for fuel. IIRC the owners manual recommends checking the oil level each time you refuel the car. Years ago this was standard practice at full-service fueling stations....the attendant would always ask...would you like me to check the oil?

To chime in on the dipstick debate.....to me...MIN would be the same thing as ADD oil. The cross-hatched area represents the 'operating range' and if it is below that then you would need to add to get it back into the acceptable operating range. Just my two cents.
Good point. My focus is on your big but. Do you know how easy to check the oil in inter cooler? Or what are the other ways I can make sure I am not having run-away condition. Please list the easy ways first because it is cold here and I can only spend small amount of time outside. Your help is much appreciated.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Good point. My focus is on your big but. Do you know how easy to check the oil in inter cooler? Or what are the other ways I can make sure I am not having run-away condition. Please list the easy ways first because it is cold here and I can only spend small amount of time outside. Your help is much appreciated.
If you do a search you will find the quick way and also some who like to completely clean out the intercooler. It's normal to have oil residue in there....you just don't want a ton of oil build up.

The intercooler lower hose should be in the front passenger side of the vehicle. You have to take the clamp off one end of the hose and then stick something in there (some use screw drivers just don't rip the hose) this will create a void between the sealing surfaces and allow any collected oil to drain away.

If it has never been drained before do not be alarmed by a large amount of oil. The idea here is to drain any oil out, monitor your oil consumption, and then check the intercooler again for excessive oil collection. Excessive oil in the intercooler in a relatively short period of time would have me concerned about turbo seal issues.

If you have problems with the forum built-in search, try doing a site specific search with google.

NewOwner

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
If you do a search you will find the quick way and also some who like to completely clean out the intercooler. It's normal to have oil residue in there....you just don't want a ton of oil build up.

The intercooler lower hose should be in the front passenger side of the vehicle. You have to take the clamp off one end of the hose and then stick something in there (some use screw drivers just don't rip the hose) this will create a void between the sealing surfaces and allow any collected oil to drain away.

If it has never been drained before do not be alarmed by a large amount of oil. The idea here is to drain any oil out, monitor your oil consumption, and then check the intercooler again for excessive oil collection. Excessive oil in the intercooler in a relatively short period of time would have me concerned about turbo seal issues.

If you have problems with the forum built-in search, try doing a site specific search with google.
You are great. Thank you for the help.

no-blue-screen

TDI Nut
TDI
TDI
Under the car that is for the hose. You want the lower intercooler hose as the oil will collect at the low point.

No problem...glad to help.

dan30thz28

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS TDI 5-speed Manual 2013 VW Sportwagen TDI 6-Speed Manual
So if it’s barely marking on the dipstick it was ok to add two quarts? Because that’s what I did...

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
Holy resurrection. This thread is a few years old.

If it barely reached the dipstick, add until it is within the specified range, check as needed to get it right......

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk