Popping out of first 5 speed swap

Benjamin

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Tdi Jetta Mine, 2008 Jeep GC CRD, 2005 Passat TDi
Finally got around to a 5 speed swap I had sitting in my shop for 5 months, and have run into this which is one of the last pieces of the puzzle. Put in first gear and even if I try and hold it in gear I give it some pedal it comes out. Does not happen in second or reverse though.

Here is what I have done,

1. Adjusted the shifter as per the instructions found here. Goes into every gear including reverse.

2. Held the brakes in so no axle turning, still pops out, eliminated the axles from being the problem.

3. On the ground or front tires in the air, still does the same thing.

4. Pulled the clip out of the shifter and lubed it up all nice and good. No change, shifts a tad nicer.

5. I also put the car in first and disconnected the shifter from the transmission under the car, it did stay in gear. This in my head partially eliminated the syncros.

6. Engine mounts have 16k miles, transmission mounts are not as new, but I changed them out with a second younger set I had kicking around and no change.

I have looked through a bunch of threads, tried google lots, but forks and syncros and shifter adjustments seem to be all I find.

Anything I missed, don't exactly want to pull the trans if its something else I missed.

Thanks in advance.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
I had this happen once but it happened with 5th gear. The 6 axle bolts on the inner joint were coming loose. I didn’t realize what was happening till the joint separated and sawed a hole in the transmission case.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Since it holds when the linkage is disconnected, can you readjust the linkage so that it stays in first when it's hooked up? It sounds like the throw is too short.

MagnumVW

TDI
2001 Golf TDI 200k
I have a TCM as well that I don't need, in perfect condition. I did a 5 speed swap last week as well. Send me a PM if you're interested.