Rebuilt k03 loud whining

lucassayers7

TDI
MK6 TDI Golf (recall) MK1 Rabbit TD from NA(sold) MK1 Scirocco TDI (Building)1990 Corrado TDI(Daily)
Just put a kit in it from turbo lab of america and when i rev the car now it sounds like its supercharged in way, no leaks i can find, boost is normal just sounds like a cut off wheel.

I believe i might have bent the shaft when i went to take the shaft nut off, i didn't know it was opposite thread and probably tightened it about 1/2 to a full turn before i figured it out(feeling stupid not to look it up) is that enough to ruin the shaft?

I have a aaz turbo thats has a rusted waste gate i was thinking about popping that shaft in with the rebuild does the exhaust have the same fins and what about the intake in case mine is now destroyed?

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Don’t these things need to be balanced?

-Todd

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Not smart to start swapping parts on an assembly that spins in six figures.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Just put a kit in

i might have bent the shaft when i went to take the shaft nut off,

i didn't know it was opposite thread and probably tightened it about 1/2 to a full turn before i figured it out(feeling stupid not to look it up) is that enough to ruin the shaft?

Unless you have a million $$$ machine that can balance this for you, its trash.

you should have done a bit more research before you did this.
In order to do any turbo work yourself a fully assembled kit or (CHRA) is all you can get.

Turbo's spin somewhere between 50,000 RPM and 6,000,000 RPM depending on the application from small engines to turbo thrusters on hobby jets or Collin Fruz's BBQ.
These turbos must be balanced 100% or they will do what yours is doing and will grenade in short order or instantly. the fact that yours had not gone KABOOM but sounds this bad means one of 2 things. 1 its going to grenade on you within the next few miles, or 2 within the next few minutes!

You have done more than enough damage to this turbo and its trash. a part like this is not something you can do yourself like you did, im really sorry to say that. But nothing has gone kaboom yet so, go buy a core or a (CHRA) and drop it in. FROM A REPUTABLE SELLER AND OR MAKER. not some ebay rebuild crap. OK

lucassayers7

TDI
MK6 TDI Golf (recall) MK1 Rabbit TD from NA(sold) MK1 Scirocco TDI (Building)1990 Corrado TDI(Daily)
That's what I figured as well sadly, today I pulled the turbo off my mk1 scirocco tdi build but it's a gt15 not sure if the oil feed will fit on it. What will I noticed if I swap from a k03 to Garrett gt-15?

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

lucassayers7

TDI
All my friends trying to convince me to put the g60 supercharger on to it instead i got laying around. would be fun

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
well, no matter how you look at it, a supper charger is a relatively bad idea, for a TDI!
you need to run an exhaust turbo for a diesel for it to be efficient. now drag or other applications say otherwise but fuel MPG no ones gives any though over for power applications such as a supper charger might be used for. Compound set up, now your talking some interesting build. but the reality i, go get a k03/k04 hybrid or a better option is just go go with a nicer VTN turbo and convert it to vacuum ran instead or go with a gtr2256 or something, there are lots of options for turbo setups on TDI's and the k03 or the k04 hybrid is kinda old school and lackluster for what we now have at our fingertips. IMHO.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I have a K03 on my B4V and it’s 12mm. GT15 is 10mm. Supposedly, the K03 is supposed to be an upgrade, but noticeable.....?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=4047705&postcount=18

Go deeper in that thread and I gave a parts list for a braided feed line. My total cost was under $30 and it’s still on there with no issues. Buy the parts you need to make yours fit properly.

That charger will probably cause more parasitic loss, than it’d return. The installation would be a nightmare with the IP, likely in the way.

-Todd

lucassayers7

TDI
pulled the k03 off tonight and i could hear a small harmonic ring when i span it so i took off the compressor housing and it was still doing it and it had not contacted either housing. but the noise it seems to be the compressor wheel and the bearing housing that big plate its next making noise but its not milling it. whats going on? is it not to late to bring it somewhere to get balanced as it does spin nice and freely.

lucassayers7

TDI
i would not want to use a g60 super on my daily for sure, lot of fab work to get it around the ip for as well.i was thinking about a k03/k04 hybrid from karma but kind of want something different not too sure at the moment, thats the reason for trying to rebuild and figure it out later once i get new injectors. i do have an external waste gate hooked up to the egr port, at the moment its blocked off to be able to hear any issues, but would that ruin the idea of a vnt? are they any efficient acting as "wastegated" turbo

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
you can have it rebuilt but it's going to cost WAY more than its worth. the only turbo shops that do rebuilds are the ones who do it on high end turbos that are worth over $5K in value.
Just get a core like i suggested or buy a new one, call around, maybe someone can rebuild it for you and save a few bucks but i have never seen a turbo rebuild not cost less than $400 and thats basic service, not balancing, like just swap parts around.

the journal bearing has already had its damage done to it within the first few seconds of spinning. your only choose here is to replace its guts and have it balanced by someone, buy a new or used one, and make sure you do an oil and filter change, brass is in the oil for sure from the wear.

lucassayers7

TDI
ended swapping to the gt-15 had to weld in new exhaust studs drilling out the old ones messed it up bad, thought there was a boost leak but did a boost leak test and it was good. must just be the sound of it filling the fmic or the large pipes to it. i actually like it slightly more than the k03 so far seems to boost a little faster but wont know for sure till i do logs.

will decide what to k03 latter maybe just use the housings for an upgrade or something in the future

jimnarem

TDI
1996 Passat TDI
I've had a CHRA from a Volvo turbo balanced by gpopshop for $65. This was done after changing the bearings and retorquing the nut holding the compressor impeller on the shaft. They just drop it on the spin machine and hit it with a die-grinder at the heavy spot. It's a very common truck engine machine shop operation.

Nothing special about gpopshop, we used them since they were well known in the turbo brick community. Any major city should have a shop that can do it.

lucassayers7

TDI
Bad news...still going into limp mode...turbo is doing the same thing before all of this where at full boost and acceleration it starts making a blow off valve noise over and over and the car slows down speeds up very lightly. But I get limp mode on the highway when just cruising not doing pulls as described above. what is wrong with my car?!??

I've had almost a year of limp mode now with p1550. all vac lines are new (even ecu one) and n75 was swapped same thing. I have a large FMIC and pipes going to it, a large exhuast, and pod filter all as mods. Why is my car doing this?

lucassayers7

TDI
Just leak tested again with 20 psi let it sit for 10 minutes still had 20 psi when I came back.

Took some logs and it shows what's going on pretty well. The first two are logs I did today last one is two days ago with turbo nipple straight to wastegate to see what it is set at stock. Which is around 9 psi