TDI
2006 1.9 Jetta Wolfsburg Sedan
deleted

deleted

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
You will need to rebuild your head, get a new head, or find a used engine to replace the one you just ruined.

Don’t just put a belt on it and drive on, if you go that route in less than 10k miles a valve head will drop into a cylinder.

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
First thing, if your engine lost time and struck a valve, it's bent. If you were going at highway speeds, usually above 60mph, if there is contact, the rod will bend.

I agree, there is no way a belt should be installed and 'keep your fingers crossed', because its not usually 10,000 miles. It's usually 500 miles and a valve head breaks off and ruins whats left of the head, tears up a piston and rod and may ruin the cylinder.

Under water loss situations, there is most often a problem with heat warping. This most often occurs on the cylinder head, but can also affect the flatness of the block.

Piston rings and cylinders are usually not affected unless the heat is very high.

However, I would be checking out some of the rod bearings and maybe the mains to check condition.

BTW: If you had only a quart in your radiator, your 'no radiator alarm' issue could be that since you had no water hitting the water temperature sensor, it was not registering.

Usually, before you get a overheat light, you get a 'low water' light. I'd be checking to make sure that works.

We do this job regularly if you need any further assistance. We just happen to be in the same State

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
It's just amazing. The car electronics are not a substitute for actually checking oil, coolant, brake fluid etc. even though the car manufacturers put the electronics on the car. If you had been actually checking levels periodically you would have known you had a coolant issue and fixed it before there ever was a problem that damaged your engine. The only think the electronics did was make you complacent to actual problems.

Even on jet engines which do have oil level indicating systems, every so many flights we are still required to physically check engine oil level.

Just so you know, when a car runs out of coolant, the temp will rise at first and when you reach the point where very little coolant is left, the heater will stop producing heat and the temp gauge will fall because there isn't enough coolant in the engine to transfer heat to the CTS anymore.

Last edited:

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I was aware that I had a fluid leak in the upper radiator hose coupling

It's just amazing. The car electronics are not a substitute for actually checking oil, coolant, brake fluid etc. even though the car manufacturers put the electronics on the car. If you had been actually checking levels periodically you would have known you had a coolant issue and fixed it before there ever was a problem that damaged your engine.

It appears he knew he had an issue. He just decided either he didnt care enough to fix it, or decided to play the odds game, crapped out, and the house won.

Ol'Rattler

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2006 BRM Jetta
Oh ya. And Dub starters are garbage as well. We cranked the engine for good 45 minutes and and that cheap copper in it melted and started a fire. We should start a class action lawsuit. :rolleyes:

You are probably right. A lot of VW's bad rap I'm pretty sure is caused by imbecile techs that don't have a clue.

Last edited: