Do not ignore washer fluid failure

ertzog

Veteran Member
TDI
2K Golf, 05 Sprinter 118
Went in for my 10K service and mentioned that the only problem was that the washer fluid had recently stopped coming out.

I assumed the nozzles had gotten plugged.

Turns out they got plugged and then the pump pressure blew the hose off. I had been jizzing fluid all over the engine compartment.

To clear the back nozzle they had to take the hatch apart. Turned into a two hour oil change.

All warranty work so perhaps they just wanted something to do.

Anyway the moral is to run the fluid every once in awhile so they never get plugged up with grit. And if it stops, check it out.

------------------
Blk/Blk Debadged 2000 Golf GL TDI

M

mickey

I wonder if it'd be a good idea to mix a small amount of Lime-a-way or some other lime dissolving stuff in a little water and blow it through the system once in a while? Then flush it out with washer fluid. That would keep the nozzles from plugging up with mineral deposits. I don't know what effect that would have on the rubber parts, but I assume that a brief exposure wouldn't hurt anything.

For that matter, you could add a small amount of vinegar to your washer mix and achieve the same result. I discovered that there is nothing better at removing splattered concrete bits from a truck's paint than cheap distilled vinegar! (Parked too close to a concrete pump and it belched little gray specks all over my truck. I though I was screwed! But I was able to remove them without leaving a trace.)

-mickey

Warsaw Falcon

Veteran Member
Let's see - - - vinegar and water to keep the orifice clean? Hmmmm - - - and I suppose it keeps you fresh-feeling and confident as well! I personally prefer the floral scented Summer's Eve in my squirter tank. Seriously, though (although freshness should be taken seriously, right?), the vinegar's not a bad idea. Thanks for the tip!

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
Do commercial windshield washing solutions actually leave mineral deposits to clog our squirters up? Or is this a result of using ordinary tap water (at least in summer) in our windshield washer fluid reservoirs? I have been using undiluted commercial windshield washer fluid for many years now. My Rabbit nozzles corroded shut after a couple of years, but the replacement ones worked fine for 15 years. I can't remember exactly when I stopped using tap water in the summertime, but it was a long time ago.
A couple times, during freezing spells in winter, the hoses between the reservoir and squirters split when I opened the hood, but that is because they became brittle with age and extreme cold.

Emoo

Mickey, I saw your post about using vinegar, I would strongly recommend not doing this!

About 10 years ago I thought this would be a good idea in my fathers ford taurus. So I put a cup of vinegar in the system with about 4 liters of water. About a month later the windshield washer system failed. He took it to ford and they hand to replace the pump assembly because the vinegar had corroded the assembly and caused it to seize. I think the final bill was $180 and they did not cover it under warranty because they could smell the vinegar in the bottle.
My father is an engineer and he asked me what I was thinking! Vinegar is very corrosive especially if the system has not been designed to handle it which most automotive systems are not.
Just my 2-cents
Emoo

dparnell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
Vinegar is good for cleaning out
coffee makers(Mickey wouldn't know
this)---it also a mild etching agent.
Use distilled water to avoid mineral
deposits and spots---it's 58
cents/gallon @ Wal/K marts.

------------------

valois

Banned
Anybody tried a mixture of rainx in the washer resevoir. the manufacturer recommends it, and it works, I hope it isn't detremental to the pump.

Strack

Veteran Member
Think of all the alcohol in those gallons of blue windshield washer antifreeze solutions.. Alcohol is a excellent solvent and will keep your washer system clear of debris. I've never heard of a problem by anyone, including myself, when using this .89 cent solution...

Ted

Veteran Member
RainX makes a pre-mixed washer fluid that I've used. You do actually get the same beading effect that you do by applying it from the small bottle directly to the windshield.

2S

ertzog

Veteran Member
TDI
2K Golf, 05 Sprinter 118
I don't think it was mineral deposits from the washer fluid (whatever the dealer put in at the 5K oil change - middle of winter).

I expect it was road grit and salt.

Perhaps washing or at least hosing down Bauhaus between the 5K visits for warranty oil changes would have gotten some grit off the car before it collected in the nozzles.

------------------
Blk/Blk Debadged 2000 Golf GL TDI

Strack

Veteran Member
I'm going to sell my VW if I'm forced to buy "Authorized VW Windshield Washer Fluid". If that memo is true, we should file a class action with VWOA!!

[This message has been edited by Strack (edited May 14, 2000).]

T5TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
T5 Transporter 2.5
I saw a memo from VW yesterday concerning screenwasher fluid it said that only genuine VW fuid must be used in "late model fan type jets" So there must have been a problem with dealers using cheapo fluid.

cars wanted

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS-TDI, 2000, white/beige
Is "Authorized VW Windshield Washer Fluid" that bad-smelling stuff that came from the factory with my 2000 Golf? Do Mexican Jettas and New Beetles also have the bad-smelling fluid?