Has anyone bought back their buyback?

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Did VW make any provisions to assist with this?

I realize that once VW bought it back, they were under no obligation to eventually sell it back to the original owner, but it does seem like it would be a nice thing to do.

I am sure their are owners out there that would want to do that as they'd know what they were getting.

For those that may have, how'd you make out?

Anyone double their money? As in pay 10K for a car they sold to VW for 20k.

BrettS

TDI
2014 Golf Wagon
I would like to buy my 2011 Golf Wagon back but can find no sign of it. Regularlly search Kijiji and Auto Trader and Google the VIN with no results. I've sent a couple emails to VW Canada inquiring about the cars whereabouts but the silence has been deafening. :mad:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Why in the world would VW go out of their way for anyone who sold their car back? Basically you took advantage at their expense. I know they "lied and cheated" but there was nothing really wrong with the car as it stood in the first place. You could have just kept it. Why not just be happy with the money you already received? There may be one or two who have managed to do it, but for most it was a huge hassle if possible at all. From the few instances I have read you wouldn't get it any any discount due to the work the dealer would have to go through to arrange this. If you wanted to keep the car you should have just taken the fix money and kept it. If you are trying to profit from this I think you already missed the boat.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I'd just keep checking the vin #. Good chance it'll pop up for sale somewhere, eventually. Unless it was deemed scrapworthy.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I'd just keep checking the vin #. Good chance it'll pop up for sale somewhere, eventually. Unless it was deemed scrapworthy.

they are slowly putting cars back up for sale that are not extremly high miles on the clock...keep in mind at least in colorado they are not spending a lot of time waiting to be picked up, they are selling at fair clip here at least...

drsven

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW - DG Buyback
Many of the older vehicles aren’t being repaired/resold, 2011 is one of those “iffy” years. You may want to run the VIN in myCARFAX (free) to see if a junk certificate has been issued.

Last edited:

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
You had to have a dealer that was willing to call first dibs from VW on your buyback, then offer it to you after the fix was completed.
Finding a buyback car at a later date would take a lot more leg work. If the buyback dealer didn't take the car from VW, all other dealers had a shot at it before it would be auctioned off or scrapped.

ranger pete

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW 6MT
Why in the world would VW go out of their way for anyone who sold their car back? Basically you took advantage at their expense. I know they "lied and cheated" but there was nothing really wrong with the car as it stood in the first place. You could have just kept it. Why not just be happy with the money you already received? There may be one or two who have managed to do it, but for most it was a huge hassle if possible at all. From the few instances I have read you wouldn't get it any any discount due to the work the dealer would have to go through to arrange this. If you wanted to keep the car you should have just taken the fix money and kept it. If you are trying to profit from this I think you already missed the boat.
No need to get all pissy about it. Was just asking a simple question.

Of course, VW is under no obligation, and you make it sound as if people did something criminal by taking advantage of VW.

As for why they should, oh, I don't know, maybe as a way of providing customer service. I am not saying that they should go out of their way to reunite cars and owners, but they do have the VINs. It would be very easy to do this. And it would be a way to perhaps mend a relationship with a prior customer.

I would even publicize it and make a corny commercial.

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Not being pissy just factual. VW wants to put this behind them as soon as possible. They are crushing and selling the cars as fast as they can to be done with it. They can barely handle what they are doing much less what you ask. Look at the number of people complaining about things the way they are. Then imagine what it would be like if they were trying to reunite people with their cars. Just another added expense and headache they don't need. All their advertising is being directed towards electric cars as the courts have directed them to move in that direction. At least in the US.

As I said before if your car was that important to you you should have taken the fix it money and kept it. That was VW's way to insure that those who wanted their car got to keep it, and some cash to boot. I don't know why they would bend over backward a second time, after enriching you with the buyback to get you your car back.

Hoops_5_1

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
1st and 2nd owner 14' TDI

I was lucky enough to find my car for sale a few hours away from me and went and bought it back right away. It even had all of my radio settings for SXM just how i had turned it back in with.

06bluebeetletdi

Veteran Member
TDI
'14 Passat TDI SEL and '13 Beetle TDI
The time to set it up was when the car was turned in with that dealership. I know of a few cars that dealerships held for their customers.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Some dealers didn't want to mess with doing this unless you paid top dollar early on to get it back. Several people have posted on this exact thing.

Hoops_5_1

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI
How much less was your cost than what VW paid you for the car?
It was a deal considering i only paid $23K brand new traded in a couple of cars outright for it and drove it for 3 years before turning it in and getting $24600.

Found it with only a couple hundred extra miles than i turned it in with and paid $13K.

where2

Veteran Member
TDI
One '13 JSW_TDI & One '04 Variant_TDI
My wife and I snagged a beautiful, well cared for 2013 white JSW that had always lived in Texas. I presumed the original owner was happily driving something newer with the $$$ they received. We briefly looked at another white JSW the same dealer had, it had a shredded driver front tire in the cargo area, had a flat spare on it, and looked like someone took it off-roading before they turned it in. Did that one belong to one of you? I was tempted to low-ball them on that one and see what happens. (Glad I didn't, I just got a 2019 e-Golf because my 1.5mi commute was not the right duty cycle for a TDI engine...)

NewEngland

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
I regularly searched for my VIN and about 6 weeks after the buy back I found the car for sale in Ohio. My turn-in was in Connecticut. I was surprised how little they were asking - $14,900 and they paid me around $34,000.

mydecember1985

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW 6MT ;2011 JSW (buy-back May 2017)
I found my buyback! The earth reclaimed it.
Where are you looking this up? I would like to see where mine disappeared to. 2011 w/ about 50k miles and in damn fine shape. I'm sure it made it back to a lot somewhere.

F to pay respects. RIP

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
I know mine is out and about because I got sent to collections for a parking ticket on it. No idea how they got my address and it was at least easy to clean up. It still has not gone out for sale, even though the modification has been completed.

jerrymander

Veteran Member
TDI
f
Where are you looking this up? I would like to see where mine disappeared to. 2011 w/ about 50k miles and in damn fine shape. I'm sure it made it back to a lot somewhere.

F to pay respects. RIP
Put the VIN in here: https://www.vehiclehistory.com/

If you don't remember your VIN, the DMV will and probably has an online lookup.

I know mine is out and about because I got sent to collections for a parking ticket on it. No idea how they got my address and it was at least easy to clean up. It still has not gone out for sale, even though the modification has been completed.
Yeah FL DMV still says I 'own' a car that was crushed over a year ago.

scrtdi

TDI
2002 jetta gls
Finding Buyback

So is everyone going thru dealers to find their buybacks and get them back or is there a way to go thru VWoA to find the buyback to try and get them back?