Should regens happen every day?

TomS

TDI
2009 Jetta
Hi:

For the past week my 2009 TDI Jetta has gone into regen every day and sometimes more than once per day. I am only driving a few miles each day and only city driving.

Tom

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
It is possible that it is attempting to do a complete regen but since you are making short trips, it keeps getting interrupted.

If you notice repeated regen attempts, you should take it for a nice long drive so it can complete a regen. Otherwise it may clog and you will have to visit the dealer to force a regen.

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
TomS said:
I am only driving a few miles each day and only city driving.
That's your problem. Fixmy59bug is correct. In order for a DPF regen to complete your exhaust gas temp. must get hot enough for the various catalysts to get up to a proper operating temperature. Go for a nice drive. After your car gets up to normal operating temperature drive with the engine at 2000+ rpm (whatever gear is required, depending on speed). Drive at this speed for at least 20 minutes. This should be enough time to complete a full regeneration cycle and your problem will be over.

These diesel emissions systems do not like to do only short city trips, they love to get out there and "stretch their legs" a bit (at least once in a while). With one of these new diesels, exhaust gas temperature is your friend.

Have Fun!

Don

Last edited: