Need to replace transmission.

bri4msn

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI wagon. 122K miles.

Carchex, the extended warranty company is approving a used transmission to replace my current dead transmission. They are approving about $4100 for the used transmission and labor.

My mechanic says it will cost about 2K more to install a rebuilt transmission, which needs to be shipped to Hawaii. I have the option to purchase an extended warranty on the rebuilt transmission, up to 3 years, he says.

I recently replaced the water pump and timing belt, so I'm hoping to keep the car.

Any advice on how to proceed would be greatly appreciated.

Thank-you in advance.

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
What is your transmission problem? Automatic (I'm guessing)?

bri4msn

TDI
Yes, transmission is automatic.

The mechanic says the transmission pump is cracked, and once that part fails, then everything goes to pieces, so rebuilding the current transmission would be costlier than installing a rebuilt transmission.

bri4msn

TDI
The transmission was stuck in 1st gear.

Update:

The transmission has already been taken down and opened for inspection to get approval from extended warranty company. They have approved about 4100 dollars for parts and labor for a used transmission.

Today I contacted a company in WA, called TRC, and they will rebuild my transmission with a 3 year unlimited warranty for about 4200 dollars.

I will have to send my transmission there and freight is included both ways in the price.

How much is a fair price for the mechanic to install the rebuilt transmission?

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Lemme guess, it was stuck in 1st gear when cold but once it got fully warmed up, it shifted fine? If so, it's likely all you need(ed) is new solenoids...

bri4msn

TDI
I wish I had checked that on this site before towing it over to the mechanic.

Well, it looks like it will cost me about a thousand to have a rebuilt transmission installed.

Plus another 400 or so for diagnosis, etc.

Live and learn...

I really appreciate your comments.
Thanks.

bri4msn

TDI
The mechanic at the dealer told me the transmission fluid was full of metal, showed it to the extended insurance company as proof of transmission failure.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
See if they will approve a 5spd swap. While the 04 transmissions are somewhat better than the previous 4 years, better is subjective. The previous four years were the worst automatic transmission VW ever made. If you have a rebuilt or even new one installed make sure you get a warranty and even a warranty to cover labor. The rebuilds are marginal at best.

You might sell the 5spd swap to them as less expensive and bulletproof.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Just for clarification, your sig. shows 2003, but you say you have a 2004?