New member, new to me TDI SEL 6MT

mikesarge

TDI
MK7 Golf TDI SEL 6MT
Hi everyone-
I have purchased my first TDI. It's far from being my first VW, and not even my second VW diesel, but I've always wanted a TDI and finally I've got one. Only 22k miles and it's even CPO!

by way of introduction, I've owned something like 15 VAG vehicles over the years. some of my favorite previous VAG vehicles include: B5 S4 Avant (had this one 11 years, only recently sold it), Audi 4000, and most of all, my old A1 Caddy diesel.

currently I'm driving this TDI and an 86 Vanagon Syncro with (gasp) a subaru EJ22 swap.

so far, I've done some VAG COM tweaks like adding the gauge sweep, auto fan speed display, DRL disable in menu, and right mirror dip. I'm going to look into the ESC off button retrofit since this has already been a source of annoyance for me. I'll likely keep it pretty stock to preserve the killer engine/fuel system warranty. I'll likely do dog bone, coilovers, and maybe some other things to tighten up the general feel of it. for now it's awesome though!

Glad to be here, I hope to have this car for a lot of years!

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Check my signature for how to post pics here (your pics don't show). Don't use photobucket either as they won't allow 3rd party hosting without paying a $400 fee. Sign up and use our server here. Welcome to tdiclub and congrats on the new car!

mikesarge

TDI
MK7 Golf TDI SEL 6MT
Check my signature for how to post pics here (your pics don't show). Don't use photobucket either as they won't allow 3rd party hosting without paying a $400 fee. Sign up and use our server here. Welcome to tdiclub and congrats on the new car!
thanks- fixed it (i think), nice to see photo hosting here.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
Great find! I have a 6MT SEL w/LP as well and love it! Did you really turn the DRLs off completely? I really like the look of them and left them on...but, I did change the "winking" feature to keep the lights on while the turn signal is on. Otherwise, they turn off while signaling on the side that the blinker is active.

Care to measure your fender-to-ground clearance??

Last edited:

mikesarge

TDI
MK7 Golf TDI SEL 6MT
Great find! I have a 6MT SEL w/LP as well and love it! Did you really turn the DRLs off completely? I really like the look of them and left them on...but, I did change the "winking" feature to keep the lights on while the turn signal is on. Otherwise, they turn off while signaling on the side that the blinker is active.

Care to measure your fender-to-ground clearance??

The setting I've got it on has them off if the switch is off, and DRL only on when it's on auto if it's light outside. I like the option with auto since I also like the look, just not ALL the time.

fender to ground: F: 27.5", R: 27.75" that's not on level ground though, parked at the curb and measured on the uphill side.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The setting I've got it on has them off if the switch is off, and DRL only on when it's on auto if it's light outside. I like the option with auto since I also like the look, just not ALL the time.

fender to ground: F: 27.5", R: 27.75" that's not on level ground though, parked at the curb and measured on the uphill side.
Thanks for the info, wonder if it's much different on level ground. I have some other measurements in another thread as I'm debating on switching to different springs for a touch softer ride than VWR springs.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk