Back (in the TDIClub) In Black!

jmasciulli

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf TDI S DSG, 2004 VW Golf GLS TDI (sold 2014)
I just bought a nice 2015 Golf TDI S w/ DSG today! 50+ MPG at highway speed!:eek::D

I had a 2004 Golf GLS TDI manual. I feel like I've gone into the future with the 2015. Wow! The DSG is wonderful!

I bought the car with 42,000 on the clock. Is there a way to tell if the DSG fluid service has been done? Thanks.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Beauty! I believe that the engine light would be on if it weren't cleared for DSG service. Would they clear it without service? Hmm. I doubt it. Did you get a warantee?

jmasciulli

Veteran Member
TDI
Beauty! I believe that the engine light would be on if it weren't cleared for DSG service. Would they clear it without service? Hmm. I doubt it. Did you get a warantee?
Negative... :/ I'll think I'll just get it done, just to be safe. It looks like the oil was done at 37K. Was the DSG done at that time as well?:confused: Can it be cleared without service?

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
See if dealer can see where it was serviced last. Check car fax if possible to find out where and call that dealers service department...

jmasciulli

Veteran Member
TDI
See if dealer can see where it was serviced last. Check car fax if possible to find out where and call that dealers service department...

The dealer doesn't have that information, unfortunately. I checked the CarFax, and it shows the last service was at 31K. The car has a sticker that shows an oil change at 37K. Per the CarFax, in June, the car went back to VWOA with 42K on the clock. I guess I have to do some detective work.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
If it were me I would have "bought" the car with a DGG service in mind in the buy price.

BTW - gorgeous car :D

The Tortoise

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Trendline - White
If the owner knew the car was going back to VW it's pretty unlikely they didn't bother with the DSG service.

I'd get it done for warranty/piece of mind reasons.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
Ask the dealership if the warantee will be in place if they do not service the DSG to be certain (THEY PAY FOR IT). Volkswagen has a warantee on that DSG transmission. Call Volkswagen directly and get an opinion. If no DSG service is in the records, it can't be waranteed. But I am sure that they sold it to you with the standard warantee. VW should see this as a liability and do the DSG.

jmasciulli

Veteran Member
TDI
Ask the dealership if the warantee will be in place if they do not service the DSG to be certain (THEY PAY FOR IT). Volkswagen has a warantee on that DSG transmission. Call Volkswagen directly and get an opinion. If no DSG service is in the records, it can't be waranteed. But I am sure that they sold it to you with the standard warantee. VW should see this as a liability and do the DSG.
I didn't buy it from a VW dealer. I bought it as is. I have whatever warranty is left on the car, which there is some left on the drivetrain.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The dealer doesn't have that information, unfortunately. I checked the CarFax, and it shows the last service was at 31K. The car has a sticker that shows an oil change at 37K. Per the CarFax, in June, the car went back to VWOA with 42K on the clock. I guess I have to do some detective work.
Many people who sold cars back to VW deferred any maintenance they could. I'm willing to bet the DSG service wasn't done.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
DSG service light? What is this sorcery you speak of? :confused::D Is that new for this generation? Can't say I've ever seen this MIL or service reminder light.

Regardless, as others have said, I'd do the service. :D

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
I just bought a nice 2015 Golf TDI S w/ DSG today! 50+ MPG at highway speed!:eek::D
I bought the car with 42,000 on the clock. Is there a way to tell if the DSG fluid service has been done? Thanks.
I heard most of the sediment come out of the 1st DSG fluid change as the gears break in together. The 2nd DSG change is cleaner and the ones after are cleaner as well. Therefore the 1st DSG service is the most important. If you are unsure, you should probably do it just for peace of mind. The DSG is a costly fix if it breaks prematurely. Mine cost $400 at an independent European focused shop.

Don't trust the dash for MPG just yet, you want to hand calculate (or fuelly) your MPGs. When I got my 2015, I would get 61mpg on the dash and got really excited. When I filled up, it turns out I actually got 52mpg. Still good but disappointed when my expectations were up. An overoptimistic dash reading is very common for the 2015. Many people adjusted using VCDS down by 15%

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The DSG requires service because the wet clutches shed material in operation and it's carried in suspension in the fluid and captured in the filter. It will do this for the life of the transmission. The fluid service interval is important to the transmission's operating life, and not just for the first service.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I reduced my readout by 7%. Haven't filled more than once, but now it appears to read about 1 MPG low.

Darth_Furious

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW, DSG
The DSG requires service because the wet clutches shed material in operation and it's carried in suspension in the fluid and captured in the filter. It will do this for the life of the transmission. The fluid service interval is important to the transmission's operating life, and not just for the first service.
Yes, this is correct. What I heard is the 1st 40K miles produces the most shed materials as the new gears wear in together so the 1st DSG service is very important to not neglect. The others are important too. I would rather be 5000 miles late on the 120K DSG than the 40K DSG service.

Keli_OR

Veteran Member
TDI
'15 black Sportwagen SE, '01 silver Jetta GLS, '00 green Beetle
Okay to do service early?

Yes, this is correct. What I heard is the 1st 40K miles produces the most shed materials as the new gears wear in together so the 1st DSG service is very important to not neglect. The others are important too. I would rather be 5000 miles late on the 120K DSG than the 40K DSG service.
I just bought my 2015 Sportwagen with 34k miles on it.
Any advice on how soon I should do the service and what it will cost?
This is my first non-manual transmission I have ever owned.
The learning curve is a bit steep...

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Not sure what repair shops charge these days. The DSG service originally was in the $350-450 range, but I think prices have come down significantly. You can buy a kit with tools to complete the service yourself for about $120. Only tool that will also be helpful for checking the fluid level is VCDS, which with a license for three cars is $199. Some people measure what they drain from the car and replace the fluid with the same amount to save the diagnostic tool charge. It's up to you.