Nov 10th -1st snow, cold snap last night..

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Golf TDI, was 06 Jetta TDI, 15 q7 tdi, was 11 Q7 TDI
Anyone else have problems starting their TDI this morning?

7am -12C on the dash display.

- cycled the glow plugs twice, cranked it 10 seconds no go.. admittedly sluggish cranking..

waited about 20 seconds, cycled glow plugs twice, fired up.

- no idea the age of the battery, but it's at least 42 months old... (bought the car in May 2014).

Petee_c
2006 BRM Jetta TDI.

- is it possible to bump start a diesel?

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
As long as it's a manual, you should be able to bump start any car...I've bump started my alh in the past

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I plugged mine in last night on a timer that came on at 4:30am.

No issues starting... :D

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
OP, why cycle the GP's twice? I can see this extra high-amperage drain affecting the battery's ability to crank the engine. Depress clutch, turn the key to ON, wait until the GP light goes out (check you're in neutral while you wait), hold the key in START until the engine fires, and release the clutch and go sweep/scrape/swear the winter guck off.

It wasn't really all that cold here this morning (you're right near me), so you likely have either a bad connection (check grounds especially), a tired starter, a tired battery, or a combination of the three.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
The battery on my '06 was done, so the day before the cold snap I bought a new one from the dealer (same price as Walmart) and the car fired up no problem the following morning when it was -12C. Changed the tires too and figured I was all set.......only to realize the next morning that the summer windshield fluid was still in the car. :( Had to wait until today to thaw out.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
The battery on my '06 was done, so the day before the cold snap I bought a new one from the dealer (same price as Walmart) and the car fired up no problem the following morning when it was -12C. Changed the tires too and figured I was all set.......only to realize the next morning that the summer windshield fluid was still in the car. :( Had to wait until today to thaw out.
How much? Which dealer? I'm looking at Cdn Tire batteries due to convenience... 100-120-140 min reserve capacity....

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
VW Guelph, $148+tax. $16 core charge (get it back if you return the old battery). I got the stock replacement one. Factory one worked well for over 10 years so it should be good for the rest of the car's life. I don't think it will make it for another 10 years.

P2B

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta, 2003 Jetta, 2003 Jetta Wagon
VW Guelph, $148+tax. $16 core charge (get it back if you return the old battery). I got the stock replacement one. Factory one worked well for over 10 years so it should be good for the rest of the car's life. I don't think it will make it for another 10 years.
I wish you luck.

I've never had a factory TDI battery last less than 10 years, one lasted 13. They were all made in Germany by Varta.

For the last 8 years or so the dealer batteries are made in Mexico by Enertec and my experience has been less than stellar. None have lasted more than 3 years, and I've had two which would not start the car below -20C even when new. They both worked fine down to about -16C, but could barely overcome compression below that let alone crank fast enough to start.

I'm trying an AGM battery from CT this year - costs about about the same as a dealer battery when on sale.

Simon

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks, that's pretty much the same price at VW Waterloo. Same core charge.

I'll pick one up when I can get into Wloo. Hopefully it lasts the life that we have the car.... napkin plan is I drive it for 2 more years than upgrade, my kids can have it then (currently 14.7 and 12 yrs old)

P

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I wish you luck.

I've never had a factory TDI battery last less than 10 years, one lasted 13. They were all made in Germany by Varta.

For the last 8 years or so the dealer batteries are made in Mexico by Enertec and my experience has been less than stellar. None have lasted more than 3 years, and I've had two which would not start the car below -20C even when new. They both worked fine down to about -16C, but could barely overcome compression below that let alone crank fast enough to start.

I'm trying an AGM battery from CT this year - costs about about the same as a dealer battery when on sale.

Simon
We'll see after this winter. This battery has a 3 year free replacement and another 2 more prorated one.

petee_c

Veteran Member
TDI
We'll see after this winter. This battery has a 3 year free replacement and another 2 more prorated one.
Did you get that in writing?

I think I was told only 1 yr free replacement when I bought mine yesterday....

I can't find it written down anywhere.....

Hopefully it lasts, it's not a varta, I think it's entered.

Last edited:

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Did you get that in writing?

I think I was told only 1 yr free replacement when I bought mine yesterday....

I can't find it written down anywhere.....

Hopefully it lasts, it's not a varta, I think it's entered.

I didn't, the dude behind the counter said it was 3-2 so I just paid for it and left. I'll check the paperwork when I have time.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Seems its only Europe and some Asia continent countries. Too bad.

Why is that people think the grass is greener in the other side? Varta is an OK brand in Europe, nothing special.

Bambaataa

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta BRM 6MT; '15 Golf Sportwagen TDI GSW
Check out Costco (I know, I know :)) batteries. they seem to be very reasonably priced and have a decent warranty (going from memory i think they give something like a 100 month warranty).

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
..... Because my new-car-equipped battery was a Varta and lasted about 15 years while the OE dealer replacement Enertec (made in Mexico) lasted two. That's why.
What is your new car? You have to compare apples to apples but the sample size is too small to make any kind of a solid conclusion anyways.

Muggins

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf GL 4dr 5spd
What is your new car? You have to compare apples to apples but the sample size is too small to make any kind of a solid conclusion anyways.
Same car as on my profile and it's not too small because everyone says the enertec mexican batteries are crap compared to the Euro made Vartas.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Same car as on my profile and it's not too small because everyone says the enertec mexican batteries are crap compared to the Euro made Vartas.
Let's say your '02 was sold and on the road since '01, ad 15 years and this brings it to 2016.....now add the 2 years with the replacement battery and that's 2018. :confused:

Is Varta better than Interstate or even the Motomaster units?

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Varta is part of the Johnson controls company, so you want a similar quality varta battery, find a johnson controls battery supplier and get one of the brands offered here

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Let's say your '02 was sold and on the road since '01, ad 15 years and this brings it to 2016.....now add the 2 years with the replacement battery and that's 2018. :confused:

Is Varta better than Interstate or even the Motomaster units?
He did say in his other post it lasted almost 15 years. And a car registered as an 02 could have been built in early 2001. And the parts for it (like the battery) could have been manufactured months before it was built. So its certainly possible the the battery could have been made in 2000.

The bottom line is, his OE battery lasted a heck of a lot longer than the replacement. He is upset that he paid a large dealer price for a run of the mill battery. Lesson learned. From now on, find an alternate source other than the dealer for a battery.

My OE battery lasted 13 years. I now have a BMW battery in my car. It has not let me down in the last 2 winters. Hoping to get at least 3 more.

Last edited:

amit9

Veteran Member
TDI
None...
He did say in his other post it lasted almost 15 years. And a car registered as an 02 could have been built in early 2001. And the parts for it (like the battery) could have been manufactured months before it was built. So its certainly possible the the battery could have been made in 2000.

The bottom line is, his OE battery lasted a heck of a lot longer than the replacement. He is upset that he paid a large dealer price for a run of the mill battery. Lesson learned. From now on, find an alternate source other than the dealer for a battery.

My OE battery lasted 13 years. I now have a BMW battery in my car. It has not let me down in the last 2 winters. Hoping to get at least 3 more.
Hi Nigel, did you get the 720CCA or 900CCA model of the BMW battery? Is it made by Exide/Varta? Is it an exact fit in the ALH? Did you buy from a BMW dealer or privately? I saw a few listings on kijiji for BMW batteries in good condition going for $50 (used) to $120 (new). Thanks.

Last edited: