Change Key Battery Warning

ddorrer

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW Tdi, 2012 JSW Tdi DSG (Sold w/80k miles), 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6spd (Traded)
Well folks, the latest issue with my 2015 GSW.

This morning I got a "Change Key Battery" warning on my MIL. Seriously!!! This is a 2015 GSW with 10k miles.

My 2012 went 80k without any such warning.

Anybody else have this issue?

habsfan

TDI
mkvii sportwagon
There is an internal VW service bulletin at least in Canada, dealer replaced my key fob last week, batteries should last about 3 - 4 years or more

SVG

TDI
2015 Golf SEL TDI
Replaced mine for the first time last week. I’ve had the car around 11 months~.

ihatespeed

Veteran Member
TDI
11 tdi wagon 6mt 15 golf 6mt (Wife's) 2000 Ford 350 7.3l 6mt 4x4 (technically a TDI)
open the battery compartment and look for signs of moisture, if it got washed/ went in the pool/ river rafting then you probably have a bit of moisture in it causing a slow battery drain. rinse out with contact cleaner and let dry on a sunny windowsill, I had to do this with both my fobs after they started eating batteries every couple weeks. both seem to have been resurrected no problem.

friedduck

TDI
'15 GSW
First went in about 6 months. I switched fobs and if the other goes as well i'm complaining to the dealer. Ridiculous.

habsfan

TDI
mkvii sportwagon
By the sounds of various posts it would appear that VW USA may not have the same service bulletin that VW Canada has about testing and replacing the key fobs for the Mk 7's. My dealer tested mine and replaced the defective one for free, and also gave me a free interior and exterior car wash.

Shife

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG White/Beige
So how does one go about opening a locked door when the key stops working? Or when the car battery dies?
It's in the owners manual. There is a key slot hidden next to the driver's door handle. There is a RFID chip in the fob that lets you hold it next to the column while pushing the button to start.

spicy_red

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagon TDI, highline, 6MT, multimedia, plat grey metallic
There is an internal VW service bulletin at least in Canada, dealer replaced my key fob last week, batteries should last about 3 - 4 years or more
Do you have a reference #? When was this issued? I've just had to replace my battery for the second time in a year... of course car was just at the dealership and they said nothing was outstanding.
Thanks!

habsfan

TDI
mkvii sportwagon
Spicy Red
There is nothing on my invoice, but I had it done at Humberview VW in Toronto, work order #649029 , you can call the service dept at the dealership and maybe they can help you with the bulletin , service dept is 416 259 7656. At the very least it is part of the bumper to bumper warranty for the Mark VII

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
wow, is push button starters are really worth this hassle?

makattack

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI/S/Manual
wow, is push button starters are really worth this hassle?
They sure are convenient when they work, but then, the computer security part of me says they aren't work the risk:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ty-flaw?_ga=1.188682856.1154899840.1458675739

Nevertheless, that didn't stop me from leasing a 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI S/manual model. That said, I now have experienced the "low battery" warning on a 8 month old key fob. It went away, but I have plenty of those CR2032 batteries, so I'll look up how to open up the key fob and change it anyway. VW claims the megamos crypto vulnerability was fixed starting with the 2015 model year, but I haven't tested it...

Just opened mine. Wow, was it easy. Pretty much, extend the key, pry open the battery cover with fingers in the newly exposed cavity.

Good news: it's easy to replace. Bad news: all my 2032 batteries which I use for other devices (LED bike lights and accessories) won't fit well because the fob's apparently designed for CR2025 batteries.

Last edited:

DanCsTDI

TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Hey. Sorry to bump an older thread but I have had trouble with one of my keys. Got the warning replaced the battery. Then three weeks later the warning came on again. I switched it out again thinking that the battery was defective. Then it happened two weeks later. I opted to just use it. A day later the remote was dead. I switch keys and am seeing if this one holds out. Due for the first service in about a month. I'll prob ask to have the key replaced at that point. Seems like there is something wrong with it. Never got wet and it's been warm out the last few months.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
CR2032 battery fits, and works fine

They sure are convenient when they work, but then, the computer security part of me says they aren't work the risk:

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ty-flaw?_ga=1.188682856.1154899840.1458675739

Nevertheless, that didn't stop me from leasing a 2015 VW Golf Sportwagen TDI S/manual model. That said, I now have experienced the "low battery" warning on a 8 month old key fob. It went away, but I have plenty of those CR2032 batteries, so I'll look up how to open up the key fob and change it anyway. VW claims the megamos crypto vulnerability was fixed starting with the 2015 model year, but I haven't tested it...

Just opened mine. Wow, was it easy. Pretty much, extend the key, pry open the battery cover with fingers in the newly exposed cavity.

Good news: it's easy to replace. Bad news: all my 2032 batteries which I use for other devices (LED bike lights and accessories) won't fit well because the fob's apparently designed for CR2025 batteries.
The CR3032 is thicker, but it actually fits. The battery retainer tab won't catch, so the battery won't stay down while you close the fob. But, just get the two tabs on the leading edge properly tucked in, and apply more force than usual. Clips in flush, holds securely. No problem.
AND, you have more capacity in the CR2032 at the same exact voltage. SWEET!!!

Last edited:

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
Now what

I take it these are all *new* 2015 TDi sitting units.

Looks like the not round tires, Leaky problems etc., etc., was not the whole story.

demagxc

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SEL
I take it these are all *new* 2015 TDi sitting units.
Looks like the not round tires, Leaky problems etc., etc., was not the whole story.
It's not just a "new" old stock issue. I purchased mine used at the end of 2015 and had to change the battery less than 6 months later. Also had to replace the battery in the spare key after a year and that one just sits on a hook in my house 99.9% of the time. No issues since replacing them. My guess is that there was a bunch of bad batteries shipped from the factory. Just a minor inconvenience. 2 minutes of my time and a new battery and a year and a half later both keys are going strong. No big deal.

2015vwgolfdiesel

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 VW Golf S DSG Silver
It's not just a "new" old stock issue. I purchased mine used at the end of 2015 and had to change the battery less than 6 months later. Also had to replace the battery in the spare key after a year and that one just sits on a hook in my house 99.9% of the time. No issues since replacing them. My guess is that there was a bunch of bad batteries shipped from the factory. Just a minor inconvenience. 2 minutes of my time and a new battery and a year and a half later both keys are going strong. No big deal.

Good to hear

I used one of my kefob ... other is stored high and dry

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
open the battery compartment and look for signs of moisture, if it got washed/ went in the pool/ river rafting then you probably have a bit of moisture in it causing a slow battery drain. rinse out with contact cleaner and let dry on a sunny windowsill, I had to do this with both my fobs after they started eating batteries every couple weeks. both seem to have been resurrected no problem.
Put your wet fob in a jar with (uncooked) rice. It will suck it dry. This is good for USB jump drives, digital watches, and stuff. Really effective!! I rescued a high capacity USB3 jump drive that I went swimming with inadvertently this way (pocket dunk!).

Last edited: