Coolant Heater Lower Grill Outlet

BrianMA

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Excellent idea! Just ordered one for the Jetta, now to find a spot on the truck for it........

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI
fitzski - do you ever forget to unplug it and then drive away, only to see the plug flying up in the air back at the garage as you back out the driveway :) ? Just curious as to how it holds up to that kind of abuse. Not something that I do every day, but it happens at least a few times a year.

I'd like to try to make something magnetic, specifically for the fact that it'd be easy to "plug" in/"unplug".

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Uh... hmm... Well, none...
LOL... no, I haven't had that happen (yet...). I literally have to step over the bright orange extension cord as I walk to the car, so it's a pretty visible reminder.

Of course... that doesn't always help me remember to plug it in when I get home... DOH!

BrianMA

TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Hey, I just had another idea...

How about wiring a 1-TO-2 splitter into the plug and have it power the heater and an onboard battery charger??

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Variant TDI Black w/Gray
When searching for the Marinco connector I noticed that they actually make a splitter for that. I don't recall the part number but it was expensive.

My connector arrived today. The best source I could find was Wholesale Marine in Ohio. WWW.wholesalemarine.com. The MAR-150BBI cost me $23.76 including shipping.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
Connector mount for B5.5

The Marinco connector arrived and I bought a 1.75" hole saw for the installation. Lo and behold, the lower grille on a B5.5 is completely different than shown in the original posting. There is no solid backing other than the area that covers the mount strengthener.

Back to square zero - I suspect I am stuck with the dangling cable! Anyone need a new Marino connector and hole saw??? :)

Getriebe Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
I don't understand your problem about "solid backing". How solid of a backing do you need to put a plug in a hole you cut into the grille? As long as there is room for the guts of the Marinco plug behind the grille why can't you glue the plug into the hole in the grille and make it work? As I remember I glued the flat nut on the marinco plug into my grille and screwed in the Marinco plug and it looks good. I'll buy your Marinco plug if you can't make it work.

daedalus

Veteran Member
TDI
The difference seems to be the OP photos show the grille as having a solid backing. Mine is just horizontal strips with no other support. The whole (flimsy) structure is held together by the tension from the bars.

The idea of gluing a solid backing behind the bars is a good one. It would provide the mounting place and also bridge the structure from left to right when the bars are cut to insert the connector. I'll have a look.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
You could also have a look for another spot. My original intent was somewhere on the lower valance, but then I figured the grill was as good as anything, since it's easily replaceable if something went wrong. Really... there's very little to go wrong!

Don't give up just yet; have another look around. I understand what you mean about the grill, since cutting the hole would probably leave one of the horizontal slats "suspended" - but I think if you siliconed the plug into place anyway, it would still work OK. Cutting the hole might be tricky, since it will be kinda flimsy as you go through.

Maybe price out a spare grill (dealer, or Impex is probably best), just so you know, and can then decide if you want to have a try.

Getriebe Guy

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf
Mine just has the horizontal strips but I got the plug in there no problem. I glued the plug body to the strips and that together with the metal nut force fit and glued to the front face of the grille that the plastic plug body threads into has it in there solid as a rock.

You can buy those grilles for about $8 at www.1stvwparts.com

Go to parts catalog, collision parts, pick your vehicle, pick front bumper, then pick a part and it gives you an exploded view of the whole bumper asy. I've got the grilles for my wife's Jetta on the way. I plan on mounting fog and driving lights in the grilles using some glued in metal brackets along the bottom edge of the grille.

NRU73

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GOLF TDI Silver, 5 Speed
Finally got mine in.

My only problem was that I put a male end onto the Marinco piece. I had to re-do it because I'm a moron. :rolleyes: Other than that it was great.

Thanks for sharing Fitz!:)

cyclepath37

TDI
2002 jetta tdi
For you all that use one of the plug covers, does the cover ever fall off? I fastened the cover to the grill with a #10 bolt so I can just plug the end in the cover when not in use. I was just wondering if my idea will eventually wear out and not stick in the cover
thanks

schwechel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta, Galactic Blue
I like that idea. It would be better if you could mount it sideways and closer to the hole you fed the cord through. That way it won't stick out as much. Very good idea for those that don't want to undertake the marinco outlet.

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
What's the OD of the Marinco plug? I thought it might go well with this grille for the A5 at first thought but then I figured the foglight opening was too big.

Maybe fab up a spacer to fill the hole out.

NRU73

Veteran Member
TDI
02 GOLF TDI Silver, 5 Speed
The OD of the marinco piece is 1 3/4". Or very close to it.
The front flange of the piece is probabbly about 2"

MCR

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf TDI
fitzski said:
Behind the right-hand side of this grill, my 2003 Golf has a bracket that looks like it's meant to carry *something*---maybe an electric plug. Any idea what it's for? It might be for a plug, because it lines up with the grill at a point that looks like it might also be for a plug.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
I believe it's for the outside air temp (OAT) sensor, which installs with a clip.

vaxick

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf GLS TDI, 2000, Satin Silver
What a great idea. I get so annoyed about having to push my plug in there so it does not dangle while I drive in the winter.

Rick Blalock

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Passat Wagon TDI
Does anyone know if there are any sensors behind the bumper just to the driver's side of the front license plate? I would rather mount the plug outlet to the bumper as it is more solid than the lower grill. Since the outlet looks clean, it won't make the car look bad by having it there either. I know there is white styrofoam behind the bumper but that should be ok to bore a hole through right?

Thanks!

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Rick Blalock said:
Does anyone know if there are any sensors behind the bumper just to the driver's side of the front license plate? I would rather mount the plug outlet to the bumper as it is more solid than the lower grill. Since the outlet looks clean, it won't make the car look bad by having it there either. I know there is white styrofoam behind the bumper but that should be ok to bore a hole through right?

Thanks!
I don't think there is enough depth between the bumper skin and the bumper rebar (behind the styrofoam) for the Marinco plug to fit. :(

Rick Blalock

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2005 Passat Wagon TDI
fitzski said:
I don't think there is enough depth between the bumper skin and the bumper rebar (behind the styrofoam) for the Marinco plug to fit. :(
Well, its a good thing I read that AFTER I had gone ahead and bored a hole in my bumper.... because it actually had JUST enough room to fit in there in front of the rebar!!!! :D Had I read that before I did it, I would have chickened out and not done it hahaha. I'll go snap some pics!

Its actually VERY solid in there! I can plug my extension cord on it all the way and then yank it out by the cord without the bumper giving but a millimeter or two tops! I took a LOT of time placing my center hole precisely where I wanted it and then bored it out with a 1-3/4" hole saw. Seeing that with the rebar there I was not able to thread it into the bumper so I expanded the hole with my dremel so that I could slide it in all the way. Then I chipped away the styrofoam around the hole (and in a larger diameter than the hole itself so that I could thread the locking nut on the backside). It took a couple of minutes to get the locking nut started on the threads but I got it and screwed it down as tight as I could, then put the 3 screws in on the front (which keep the locking nut from spinning).

I'm glad I did the mod, looks 100X better than the cord poking out a couple inches and being subject to all the grime and salt on the roads.

Pics are comin soon!

- Rick

Last edited:

dhdenney

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 Audi A3 TDI Ibis white
Neat idea but I'm not gonna try it. I just tuck it into the grille during the winter. When it warms up, I unscrew the grille and throw the plug back there until winter again.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
Thats why I'm getting one of these and installing it in the lower valance,

$15.99

Safe, easy connection with no thread-thru necessary--just leave it plugged in at your convenience. For all AC ProTournament, ProSport, and XPS chargers.

fitzski

Veteran Member
TDI
Rick Blalock said:
Well, its a good thing I read that AFTER I had gone ahead and bored a hole in my bumper.... because it actually just JUST enough room to fit in there in front of the rebar!!!! :D Had I read that before I did it, I would have chickened out and not done it hahaha. I'll go snap some pics!
Good stuff Rick! Well done, and I look fwd to seeing some pics. Sorry for (almost) misleading you! I was just going from memory, and figured it would be a little too tight.