www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal

Dieselgate - VW Group Emission Scandal Discussion around the VW Dieselgate Emissions scandal. Details and news updates can be viewed here: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?goto=newpost&t=448336 This forum is a work in progress depending on requirements, usage, etc.

Old December 7th, 2017, 06:01   #1
Q5TDI

TDI(s): Q5
Default VW's Oliver Schmidt Gets 7 Years in Prison for Dieselgate Role

A federal court judge in Detroit sentenced a former Volkswagen manager Wednesday to 7 years in prison and ordered him to pay $400,000 in the company's massive diesel emissions cheating scandal, but Judge Sean Cox made clear that justice has not yet been served.

Cox described the ex-manager, Oliver Schmidt, as an opportunist and a significant player in Volkswagen's attempted cover-up. But he also noted that "senior management has not been held accountable" in a case that has hurt both consumers who thought they were getting a good product and blue-collar and middle-management workers at VW. He said the VW case "attacks and destroys" the foundation of the country's economic system -- the trust between buyers and sellers.

Cox had harsh words for Schmidt, seeing no excuses for the highly educated mechanical engineer. He doesn't suffer from the substance abuse common among criminal, comes from a good family and was well-off financially, with a $130,000 base salary, $40,000 annual bonuses and a net worth of $1 million.

https://www.freep.com/story/money/c...-scandal-oliver-schmidt-sentencing/924278001/
Q5TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 09:02   #2
czeetah
Veteran Member

Well off financially with a net worth of only $1 million?

Sorry but if you want to retire and squeak by on an annual budget of $50k a year for 20 years you need $1 million.

And I imagine in 20 years with inflation that $50k a year won't feel like a luxurious living. And if you hope to make it 30 years into retirement that $1 million is going to be REAL TIGHT.
czeetah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 10:46   #3
740GLE
Veteran Member

Guess the saying is true about excrement flows down hill, at a certain level there are no golden parachutes.

How come Michael Horn hasn't had his day in court?
740GLE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 20:08   #4
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

I believe there are a number of VW execs who are escaping prosecution by not setting foot on US soil.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 05:40   #5
Rico567
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoFaster View Post
I believe there are a number of VW execs who are escaping prosecution by not setting foot on US soil.
Sure- and what has happened to Schmidt ensures they won't enter U.S. jurisdiction, at least not until after the statute of limitations has expired, or unless they can somehow wangle a diplomatic immunity from their government (unlikely).

"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
- Adam Savage
Rico567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 05:47   #6
oilhammer
Certified Volkswagen Nut Vendor

Fuel Economy: fantastic

Quote:
Originally Posted by czeetah View Post
Well off financially with a net worth of only $1 million?

Sorry but if you want to retire and squeak by on an annual budget of $50k a year for 20 years you need $1 million.

And I imagine in 20 years with inflation that $50k a year won't feel like a luxurious living. And if you hope to make it 30 years into retirement that $1 million is going to be REAL TIGHT.

No kidding. A guy making ~$170k/yr with no drug habits only worth $1M? That guy must have made a lot of hookers rich then. Wow. Heck, if I made that much I'd have TEN million banked by now. And I'd certainly have a helluva lot more Volkswagens.
Old December 8th, 2017, 07:22   #7
Kevinski4

Irony is strong here. Gov puts a guy in prison for vehicle emissions violations when the Gov's own vehicles are exempt... Rules for thee but not for me... I'll bet he wishes he had used his software engineering background to run a server in a closet in NY rather than develop engine management software...

I am a Malone Tuning dealer in Eastern WI, including Common Rails and DSG! Visit our website: www.facebook.com/wisconsindiesel
Full Jeep Liberty CRD service!
Forget Clean Air, It's a Power and Money Grab
Kevinski4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 07:36   #8
k1xv
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 40 mpg overall, up to 50 on some trips

While the VW executives may be safe from extradition so long as they remain within Germany, if they venture to a third country with an extradition treaty with the USA, they run the risk of arrest and extradition.

Gee whiz, these guys were "only following orders".

k1xv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 09:48   #9
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1xv View Post

Gee whiz, these guys were "only following orders".

Sick burn!!!!
Old December 8th, 2017, 09:53   #10
740GLE
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilhammer View Post
No kidding. A guy making ~$170k/yr with no drug habits only worth $1M? That guy must have made a lot of hookers rich then. Wow. Heck, if I made that much I'd have TEN million banked by now. And I'd certainly have a helluva lot more Volkswagens.

Seriously, there was an article in the Boston Globe yesterday that stated majority of the suburbs are going to be crying poverty with the new tax plan. Those making 200K are currently crying poverty cause the state income and local property tax where they chose to live in is over 40K/yr. I guess certain people get accustomed to certain lifestyles.

Looks like there maybe some more MA-NH transplants.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/business/...nes:newsletter
Old December 8th, 2017, 11:22   #11
NAZ TDI
Veteran Member

I think this whole "scandal" is nothing but a witch hunt! Much ado about very little! Out here in the real world a VW Diesel IS still a clean Diesel!! Most other car companies with Diesel powered vehicles have done the exact same thing as VW did, in an effort to deal with stupidly strict emission standards. VW just got caught on a slow news day!
NAZ TDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 11:30   #12
MBQ
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 43.5MPG

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAZ TDI View Post
I think this whole "scandal" is nothing but a witch hunt! Much ado about very little! Out here in the real world a VW Diesel IS still a clean Diesel!! Most other car companies with Diesel powered vehicles have done the exact same thing as VW did, in an effort to deal with stupidly strict emission standards. VW just got caught on a slow news day!
Curious how Dodge Ram 1500 ecodiesel got away with it with a "fix".
MBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 8th, 2017, 18:12   #13
Steve140

Fuel Economy: 4.6-4.9

I think the Trumpster likely told the EPA to lay off Dodge if they want to keep their jobs.
Steve140 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2017, 10:26   #14
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBQ View Post
Curious how Dodge Ram 1500 ecodiesel got away with it with a "fix".
It had all the hardware it needed to conform to emission standards; FCA's problem involved undeclared AECD logic in the ECU. All of the affected FCA vehicles already had DPF and SCR.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote