www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas

VW MKV-A5 Golf/Jettas Discussions area for A5/MkV Jetta/Golf (2005/2006 PD and 2009 CR).

Old November 25th, 2017, 08:12   #1
York

TDI(s): 2006 Jetta
Default Car wont start - Need Help ASAP

I’m new to TDICLUB so I apologize if this post is in the wrong location.

My wife and kids are in Atlanta for Thanksgiving, I am not with them. I can only tell you what she sees and hears.
We have a 2006 Jetta 1.9 TDI with 170,000 miles. Currently the car will turn over but will not start. A quick history lesson on the car. After 2 days of sitting the battery will be dead. Has been like that since I bought it a year ago (possibly a bad door sensor). Typically, I just disconnect the battery until I drive it. Also, the upper intercooler hose had a hole in it. I replaced it the day of the trip. Old hose had black oil in it.

Tuesday my wife drove the car to Atlanta from Nashville with no issues. Friday, after sitting for 3 days the battery is dead (she didn’t disconnect it). They tried to jump the car off with a truck but no luck. After 2 hours of charging from the truck and 25+ attempts to start it (lights come on but will not turn over), we have declared a bad battery and Autozone confirmed. Got a new one, now the car will turn over but will not fire. (This is where I need help). I have reviewed http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=199398 and fall in situation #5. I cannot check the ASV at this time. Is there anything else to check before addressing the ASV?

Possible issues to think about –
(1) The car is parked in the driveway on a steep incline with almost a half tank of gas. – adding more gas soon. This seems like the obvious reason but it does have close to half tank of gas. Not sure if this is a known issue.
(2) 25+ attempts to start it – could this have broken something
(3) Could the ASV have gunked up after sitting for 3 days. – Old intercooler hose did have black oil in it. Not sure if that’s normal.
(4) Could this be an immobilizer problem – immobilizer goes off when she tries to start it.
(5) Remember, the car ran fine until the battery died on the steep incline

I do feel like it’s a simple issue, I just can’t think of what it could be.
Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Last edited by York; November 25th, 2017 at 08:17. Reason: update
York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 13:04   #2
York

It runs! A special thanks to Troy S. from Atlanta. TDI Club username TNTKNC. I talked to Troy on the phone and tried a few different things that he suggested. Basically, The car sitting on an incline caused the fuel to back flow to the tank. Possibly a small air leak in the line. Troy had me try a few different things until it started. My wife and kids are now headed home. Thanks again Troy for the help.
York is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 13:23   #3
aja8888
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: About as good as it gets!

You need to replace a check valve in the lines at the in-tank fuel pump, I believe.

Next time before sending wife off through the countryside with a car that has issues, get them all resolved by a TDI guru if you intend on keeping this diesel. They are not complicated, just need special TLC.

Good luck.

(and the power drain, it may be a chaffed wiring harness - common problem on MKV TDI's)
Bring the 1971 Beetle back to life thread:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=472400
aja8888 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 14:08   #4
James & Son
Veteran Member

It is also possible that his in tank fuel pump is not working or intermittently.

Once backed down on the level the tandem pump was able to pull the fuel for the start.

The in tank fuel pump will pump momentarily when key is turned to on position. To check disconnect hose at fuel filter inlet and have someone turn key to on position.

Another feel good thing is to replace fuel and air filter if over 40,000 miles.
James & Son is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 25th, 2017, 19:24   #5
Vince Waldon
Veteran Member

Yup, betcha the in-tank pump died... perhaps a long time ago.

The tandem pump is pretty good at pulling fuel by itself... sometimes for years... but eventually will meet its match.

Note: The above is to the best of my knowledge- but at the end of the day simply interweb opinion, worth EXACTLY what you paid for it, and if used done so at your own risk.
Vince Waldon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 7th, 2017, 04:57   #6
RollingCoal11

Fuel Economy: 43 with a 49 best

York what was the fix?

Aja888: where is the check valve located at? When my car sits for more than a few hours, I need to crank for a few minutes to get it to fire again.

I haven't been under the car, but how many soft lines are there with the car? I wouldn't mind upgrading my fuel pump and lines for future upgrades.

Thanks
1936 Chevy pickup 4bta cummins project.
RollingCoal11 is offline   Reply With Quote