TDIFest 2012 coming to Ypsilanti, MI

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2005 Jetta GLS Wagon "Cranberry"
Low attendance? You need to have a minimum number of attendees to just break "even" especially when using a resort as opposed to just a higher class hotel. With the amount of posts talking about the high price now (with it just over $4), staycations, trading in on the new fuel efficient gasoline cars, etc., I felt it should be addressed. I have an event that WON'T be repeated I'll be attending the following weekend. So if the fest WILL be happening I'll be leaving the CPR the prior Sunday; if it is canceled then I don't have to leave until four days later. But I have to make plans/reservations.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
The organizers can comment, but I can't imagine they'd cancel. After all, TDIers are among the least impacted by rising fuel prices. And I wouldn't call that Marriott a resort, although they might (I guess the golf course is the key there). It's a nice hotel, but not uber high-end. If fuel does go to $6, TDI drivers will be among the few who can afford to travel!

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
It's been a few weeks without any updates, so I have a couple of questions:

1. With the price of diesel projected to be $5.00 -$6.00 by Labor Day, will this event be canceled?

2. If not, any time frame for when we might make room reservations?

Since this is only part of a trip I'm making, I need to make other reservations/plans. In fact, the start date of my trip is dependent on whether I go to Michigan or not.

I really want to attend this, however.
1. Nothing is going to cancel TDIFest.

2. Hoping for the room reservations site to be open in April. Event registration should be around that time, too.

DieselFan1984

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Mk4 Jetta TDI
Now I have to see what my schedule does with work....maybe I can make it out this year! I was in Brazil last year for TDIfest...

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
It's been a few weeks without any updates, so I have a couple of questions:

1. With the price of diesel projected to be $5.00 -$6.00 by Labor Day, will this event be canceled?

2. If not, any time frame for when we might make room reservations?

Since this is only part of a trip I'm making, I need to make other reservations/plans. In fact, the start date of my trip is dependent on whether I go to Michigan or not.

I really want to attend this, however.
Seriously??? Wow!

Fuel was over $4 per gallon in Sept of '08 and I still made a 1,600 mile trip to Ohio for Fest. It was very well attended.

I made a ~7,000 mile trip from Massachusetts to California to Portland, OR for Fest 10. It cost me nearly $500 in fuel.

Even at $6 a gallon, it'll cost me ~$200 to drive to Ypsi-Fest. I know damn well I won't be able to fly anywhere interesting for $200 at that point, including Michigan.

If it's not in your budget, it's not there. No need to dump on it for everyone else.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I don't think he was dumping his concerns on anyone... just asking a question.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1. Nothing is going to cancel TDIFest.

2. Hoping for the room reservations site to be open in April. Event registration should be around that time, too.
Great to hear that! I've pretty much have my route mapped out; now I have to break it into roughly 500 mile segments. I plan on seeing two things enroute: the old Wendover AAF where the 509th Bomb Group trained for dropping the first atomic bombs, and the U-505 in Chicago.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Seriously??? Wow!

Fuel was over $4 per gallon in Sept of '08 and I still made a 1,600 mile trip to Ohio for Fest. It was very well attended.

I made a ~7,000 mile trip from Massachusetts to California to Portland, OR for Fest 10. It cost me nearly $500 in fuel.

Even at $6 a gallon, it'll cost me ~$200 to drive to Ypsi-Fest. I know damn well I won't be able to fly anywhere interesting for $200 at that point, including Michigan.

If it's not in your budget, it's not there. No need to dump on it for everyone else.
:confused: So just asking a simple question is "dumping"? I'm glad you have a very short distance to travel this time.

My round trip will be about 5,000 miles so my fuel cost @ $6 would be about $750. And I will be making the trip even if there wasn't a fest, as I have another event I'm attending in KY the weekend after the fest. I just wanted to know if I should plan a route that didn't go by way of MI as a fallback.

BTW, I'm budgeting about $3500.00 just for fuel & lodging, along with about $1000.00 for food/drinks. Of course, I will also have a budget for items I may purchase from any vendors at the fest. :D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I've found 500 mile stints to be a bit too stressful if you're trying to enjoy the sights along the way or take a route that isn't 100% highway. I'm not sure what your timeline looks like, but I'd recommend taking a more relaxed route if time permits.

I'd be curious to see a map of your trip once you get it all worked out. I love road trips. :cool:

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
My trip will be about 1400 miles RT. Fuel costs at 45-mpg and $3.75/gal will be about $116. At $6/gal it'll be $190. "High fuel prices?" BRING IT! ;) The cost of fuel alone won't stop me from traveling. :)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I've found 500 mile stints to be a bit too stressful if you're trying to enjoy the sights along the way or take a route that isn't 100% highway. I'm not sure what your timeline looks like, but I'd recommend taking a more relaxed route if time permits.

I'd be curious to see a map of your trip once you get it all worked out. I love road trips. :cool:
This IS a relaxed route! I've criss-crossed these United States so many times I'm used to it. My normal daily mileage is usually close to 750 miles.

Here is a tentative routing. I haven't decided if from Green River UT, I'll go up US-6 to I-15 to I-80 as shown, or continue on US-50. I've been on 50 across Nevada several times; starting in 1978.

http://pics.tdiclub.com/showphoto.php?photo=85359&title=september-2012-trip&cat=500

VeeDubTDI

TDI
I see! After many cross-country trips, I can understand wanting to push. 750 miles/day is a pretty good pace! :)

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I figure that by not having to stop for fuel every 200-250 miles, it should be less actual travel time per day. Back in May 2009 I drove to Texas for a Miata 20th anniversary event and, from Barstow, CA to Amarillo, TX, tried to stay on Route 66 as much as possible. Then on the way back, I did the original section though Oatman, AZ. Part of it is a very narrow "2 lane" through some mountains.

cd_booth

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
It's like a miracle! I've had my 2010 Jetta TDI since June, 2010 but I just recently got into these forums and TDIFest is coming to me! It would have been nice to get Riverside Park in Ypsi, which is a great location for car shows. Eagle Crest will have to do.

Everyone will be pleasantly surprised with Ypsilanti. There are a lot of great bars and restaurants. It's a great town.

nyrussell

TDI
2009 TDI Loyal; 3208 Cat Marine and 8KW Onan
LOL at worryiong about cost... When can we get a sub mod?

Cost of fuel is basically negligible for a family of 4. Time listening to kids "Are we there yet?" and DA Da priceless. If we get a sub model, maybe trips to the inlaws in Japan will be cheaper? LOL

We do intend to make it. 1 tank out and 1 tank back projected whatever the cost. Oh yes, 1 tank while there to be safe.

Another way to think of this... 6 gallons an hour is the cost of the other 3 diesels...

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
I also think that we are not be experiencing the same high prices that the People's Republic of California is having with gas/diesel prices (yet!). So we're probably not as sensitive as our western brethren...

http://gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

it's an interesting question though just for fun...at what price would you cancel out? $7? $9? $15?

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Right on, Mike. The Shell around the corner from me just jumped 9 cents to $4.64, and I'm lower than those in the Bay Area or L.A. It looks like as I drive East in August, the price will keep getting cheaper.

I won't be canceling out because I have to be in Munfordville, KY the following weekend.

Last edited:

stellar91

TDI
2004 TDI Jetta GLS
Alright, Just bought my first TDI and the quest for knowledge and a friendly community is coming to my own backyard NICE!! Only 64 miles for me. Signing up

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
I also think that we are not be experiencing the same high prices that the People's Republic of California is having with gas/diesel prices (yet!). So we're probably not as sensitive as our western brethren...

http://gasbuddy.com/gb_gastemperaturemap.aspx

it's an interesting question though just for fun...at what price would you cancel out? $7? $9? $15?
That's a great map, Mike. It shows where to fill-up at a glance. If it were me, I would fill in Wyoming, then Iowa and avoid filling in Nebraska.

romad

Top Post Dawg
TDI
That's a great map, Mike. It shows where to fill-up at a glance. If it were me, I would fill in Wyoming, then Iowa and avoid filling in Nebraska.
Well, my initial fill-up will be here at home then probably in Wendover, UT followed by eastern Wyoming, then I'll try to make it to Iowa. After that it'll be wherever I stop for the night. It looks like Munfordville, KY is in a light green county.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, my initial fill-up will be here at home then probably in Wendover, UT followed by eastern Wyoming, then I'll try to make it to Iowa. After that it'll be wherever I stop for the night. It looks like Munfordville, KY is in a light green county.
Remember that from Wyoming to Iowa is all downhill. :) You can practice hypermiling. I made it from Denver to St. Louis on one tank, but it was a close thing and I carried an extra gallon of fuel in a can Just in Case.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
.... and I carried an extra gallon of fuel in a can Just in Case.
(if) No guts, (then) no glory.
You'd have gotten better fuel economy, REALLY hypermiled, if there was no margin for error and EVERY drop counted.
Carrying safety fuel is like going on a tight-rope with both a harness and a net.:D

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
(if) No guts, (then) no glory.
You'd have gotten better fuel economy, REALLY hypermiled, if there was no margin for error and EVERY drop counted.
Carrying safety fuel is like going on a tight-rope with both a harness and a net.:D
A five lane freeway at 5:00 wasn't the time to risk just so I could say that I drove from Denver to the Mississippi rive on a tank. Besides, I took a ten mile off-route sidetrack, so I know I did it. Also, I wasn't actually hypermiling. I just stuck the cruise at 65 and left it there. I know I could have made it hypermiling, it was enough to say I did what I did in my Pajamas. (Really)

OK Back to Ypsi

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Wyoming is great - I'd make the trip out for that! :cool: