1998 jetta wont start!

shakenbake

TDI
1998 jetta
let me start off by saying this is my first ever diesel car. i have a lot of mechanical experience, ive rebuilt 2 944 turbos successfully. i picked up a 1998 jetta tdi as a fun project, and to learn about diesels. i bought it not running. i replaced the ignition switch, and it has a new fuel pump (the one that runs off the timing belt) and it has a new starter. the guy said it took a while to start when it ran, and he said he friend a VW tech said the pump wasnt timed right. the ignition locked up on him, the steering wheel wouldnt turn. and thats when he stopped driving it. i got that all taken care of. where i am now is the lights all turn on but the starter doesnt crank. i jump the starter from the battery and it turns the engine over no problem. also when i turn the key to crank there is a buzzer sound coming from the alarm box, that white box behind the left vent. right now all im trying to do is get the key to crank the motor over!

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
97' Passat (1Z), 02' Golf
You are getting the glow plug and and check engine lights all to come on before start correct?

You say it has a new pump on it. Do you know if it was ever started with the new pump on it? Wondering if the pump is to retarded.

Also you may want to seek out some assistance with getting the car scanned with VCDS HERE and then if you may need a guru's assistance check out HERE.

Welcome to TDIClub!

Last edited:

shakenbake

TDI
1998 jetta
the previous owner said it used to take a "little while" to start up after the new pump, he said this is because the pump needs to be timed.

Im checking out your links now. thanks for those.

the only thing thats really confusing me now is why the starter wont run when i turn the key. i am getting all the dash lights, and everything seems to work; lights, fans, windshield wipers. like i said the starter will spin when jumped, but wont spin when turning the key. also that alarm box buzzes every time i hold the key in the start position. :/

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
hmmmm.....interesting. When it comes to crazy electrical problems like this, it's when i throw my hat in. eletrical is by no means a strong point of mine. i look at a wiring diagram and it looks like Greek to me. there are some on here that will help you out more than i can, for now i step out.

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
just in case the alarm is at issue, lock the car, use tape to depress the hood switch, then disconnect the battery. wait 30sec and reattach the battery. unlock the car, then try the ignition.

shakenbake

TDI
1998 jetta
ive been trying to start the car with the hood up... didnt even know there was a hood switch. i will be trying this tonight! thanks!

shakenbake

TDI
1998 jetta
i couldnt find any kind of hood switch, but did try cranking it with the hood down. no change. all that happens is i turn the key as i would to crank the engine and all i get is a buzzer coming from the white alarm box. :/

shakenbake

TDI
1998 jetta
yea i tried to do the alarm reset. there wasnt any alarm switch on the hood that i could find. but i did turn the alarm on and disconnect the battery. same symptoms after the reset, still buzzing and still no crank :(

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta that I fill by myself
Does the alarm on an A3 cut power to start? I don't know, but it doesn't on the A4 cars.

So if it doesn't cut power to the starter, and if you jump power to the starter and it works, then are you getting power to the starter solenoid? If not, then hopefully you can find an accurate wiring diagram to trace down the components on your car.

Edit:

OK, I found the diagram now and it will cut power. Here is a link to a picture of the diagram.

Last edited by a moderator:

loganbmx4gt

Veteran Member
TDI
Does the alarm on an A3 cut power to start? I don't know, but it doesn't on the A4 cars.

So if it doesn't cut power to the starter, and if you jump power to the starter and it works, then are you getting power to the starter solenoid? If not, then hopefully you can find an accurate wiring diagram to trace down the components on your car.

Edit:

OK, I found the diagram now and it will cut power. Here is a link to a picture of the diagram.

LOL, looks like Greek.

shakenbake

TDI
1998 jetta
its not letting me view the picture, says i have to register? :/ ok so if it is cutting power could i cut the red and red/black wire and short them together? that way it just by passes the alarm box. i guess what im asking is, is there something wrong with the alarm box, and should it be replaced or is there a way i can by pass it? still dont know why that box is buzzing, why would that alarm box ever need to be making a sound?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Buzzing would likely be a relay opening and closing.

When you get to the page where it says that you must register, go to the log-in and enter your info again. It's kinda screwy, but that's the way it is.

shakenbake

TDI
1998 jetta
cool, okay i can see it now.
any thoughts on the relay then? that would stop power from getting to the starter if its just sitting there bouncing between open and closed. could i open the alarm box and jump the relay to stay open?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
Not only do I not know what's in there, but I don't know where it is. Pull it out and take a look. Snap some pictures if you figure something out.

megaladon6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS
here's a stupid question, is it manual or automatic trans? if it's a manual, also check the neutral safety start switch

shakenbake

TDI
1998 jetta
great link! i think i might try and do the starter by pass... i took the cover off of the alarm box an it is a relay that is buzzing. not sure what would cause that. ive had the hood up for the most part as a work on it. so im going to try shutting everything, arming the system, then disarming it. see if that makes and difference.

it is a manual trans. im thinking the clutch switch works because the alarm box wont buzz unless i have the clutch down...

shakenbake

TDI
1998 jetta
i just went out there and shut everything, rolled the window down (manual windows) and armed the car, it honked which i hadnt heard before. then i tried to start the car and the alarm went off. this is new! but when i try and start the car still i get the buzzing from one of the alarm relays.

do you guys think its worth a shot to short the starter wires together and bypass the alarm? theres not much slack in those wires so itll be hard to reattach them to the alarm if need be.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Is the "buzz" the alarm going off, or just buzzing of relays?

I had the "buzzing of relays" when my grounds weren't good.

Have you taken the cables off of the battery and cleaned both ends? Tighten good?

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
If you just need to get running, jump the connectors. If you want to fix it now, clean grounds first, paying attention to G202 which according to the schematic is located "behind fuse/relay panel." I can't get any more specific than that, sorry.

shakenbake

TDI
1998 jetta
its the buzzing of the relays. i cleaned the terminals on the battery and i also cleaned the ground which goes to the engine block...

which connectors are you talking about jumping?

shakenbake

TDI
1998 jetta
also i did short the starter wires together which go into the alarm module... no difference except that there isnt the buzzing of the relay in the alarm module.

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
Other grounds are in the engine bay - on my B4 they are on either side of the boost tubing between the battery and windshield washer fluid. About 5 ground wires between two posts. I can't tell you what connects there, just that they have caused issues for many people.

whitedog

Veteran Member
TDI
also i did short the starter wires together which go into the alarm module... no difference except that there isnt the buzzing of the relay in the alarm module.
Was this the wires indicated on that other page? I think it said T5 and T6. Those were the "connectors" I misspoke about. I should have called them wires.

If you connected those two and it doesn't start, then you need to check continuity between T6 and the starter solenoid.

schultp

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen, 6sp manual
Are you absolutely certain your battery is fully functional??

thebigarniedog

Master of the Obvious
TDI
1998 Jetta tdi
let me start off by saying this is my first ever diesel car. i have a lot of mechanical experience, ive rebuilt 2 944 turbos successfully. i picked up a 1998 jetta tdi as a fun project, and to learn about diesels. i bought it not running. i replaced the ignition switch, and it has a new fuel pump (the one that runs off the timing belt) and it has a new starter. the guy said it took a while to start when it ran, and he said he friend a VW tech said the pump wasnt timed right. the ignition locked up on him, the steering wheel wouldnt turn. and thats when he stopped driving it. i got that all taken care of. where i am now is the lights all turn on but the starter doesnt crank. i jump the starter from the battery and it turns the engine over no problem. also when i turn the key to crank there is a buzzer sound coming from the alarm box, that white box behind the left vent. right now all im trying to do is get the key to crank the motor over!
Before I would worry about the ignition switch or mess with getting at the white box on a 1998, I would, first thing, open the driver's door, remove the rubber boot (the boot that connects the electrical wiring from the door to the body of the car) and fix the broken wires there.