60 MPG / 900 Mile Club / 1000 Mile Club

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
Re: Newest 60 MPG / 900 Mile Club Member

ok, I'll try sneaking up on it.
but first I have to go fishing, er mooching for Salmon.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
Newest 60 MPG / 900 Mile Club Member

This is a funny thread if you think about it. I am happy with 650 miles doing 85+ MPH! WooHoo!
Yeah I'm still trying for the 700 mile tank.... I don't have it in me to drive 55mph for a whole tank of fuel... I usually can't do it for more than 2 or 3 days, my right foot starts to itch (I'm used to driving 85-100mph)... How much fuel is left in the tank when the light comes on(A4)? I've been averaging about 14.5 gallons per fillup and about 660-670 miles... Fuel light comes on around 625 or so... I think I'll try for 800 miles after the next fillup if I can find the patience...

vikingrob

Veteran Member
TDI
2021 Tesla Model 3 (delivery estimate May 2021)

This is a funny thread if you think about it. I am happy with 650 miles doing 85+ MPH! WooHoo!
Yeah I'm still trying for the 700 mile tank.... I don't have it in me to drive 55mph for a whole tank of fuel... I usually can't do it for more than 2 or 3 days, my right foot starts to itch (I'm used to driving 85-100mph)... How much fuel is left in the tank when the light comes on(A4)? I've been averaging about 14.5 gallons per fillup and about 660-670 miles... Fuel light comes on around 625 or so... I think I'll try for 800 miles after the next fillup if I can find the patience...
If I can get 700 on one tank, you can do it.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/

same here, if i do say 70% highway, 30% city, 700 miles is pretty easy, at least when vented when you can get 16.5+ gallons in your tank. just limit higway speed to 70-75. if you keep it to 55-60 mph, you should get over 800 for sure. in my PD i haven't had a problem making 700 miles on a tank with 60-70% highway as long as i don't consistently drive 80+ mph on the highway...

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI

wow, I didn't know it held that much fuel
, does my 99.5 hold as much as an 05? I've only had the car a few months and I never had a car with a low fuel light so I usually fill it on my way home from work if the light comes on that day... The first thing I did when I got the car(after learning about this site) was pulled the guts out of the vent so I can fill to the brim easier... I usually get it just up to the threads for the cap... then I go wash my windows and it will fit another few ounces.... I usually check it again when I get home(4 miles) and it's about an inch from the top of the neck.... So even with the way I drive, I should be able to at least get 700...

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual

On my recent solo roadtrip from Houston to San Jose (new job) I decided to do a mileage / range run. I was hoping to finally break the 800 mile mark. I pumped the tires to 42 all around, cleaned the snow screen, added a gallon of bio, some Stanadyne, and filled to the brim in Houston.

906.8 miles, 14.952 gallons. 60.6 MPG

I now know why the 900 club is so lonely. Almost the entire trip was with the cruise control set at 57-58mph. It is downright painful to drive this slow for SO long. The trip started out with the intention of breaking 800, but when I realized I could break 900, I got excited. It wasn't until I hit about 750 that I knew I might hit 900.

Freaking incredible cars!

It took me forever to fill up the tank in Lordsburg, New Mexico because I wanted to make sure I got every last bit of fuel in so I could get a relatively accurate mileage reading. I probably waited a total of 20 minutes after the initial click to let all the foam settle.

Another interesting note is that I was totally loaded. The trunk had probably somewhere around 300 lbs of stuff in the trunk, two dogs, and luggage behind the front seats and on the passenger seat and floor.

All I can say is wow.
I've done that trip before. Just getting out of Texas is the beast of the drive. Like almost 800 miles (depends what part of Houston you left from).

aggiegrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI

I left from the West side of Houston, but it's still a long haul out of Texas. You get to El Paso and you're halfway to California!

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan

tdijetta99-
you should be able to get over 17 gallons in your tank. I'm not sure but I think the tank sizes are the same through this MY.

spuimatt

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Indigo Blue Golf TDI

I am constantly amazed at this site. Here we are all driving some of the most fuel efficient vehicles on the road and we are constantly trying to make them more efficient and have greater range. I think it is a testament to those who push the envelope. I've just started venting two tanks ago and was pretty happy to get over 700 miles on a tank. Can I get 900? I'm not sure, but I think I may have to try...

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Cool.. I'll try to push my luck a little more on this tank.. Maybe I'll keep a gallon of diesel in the trunk just in case.. I usually fill up within about 50 miles after the fuel light comes on.. I know I can hit 700, maybe 800 if I have say 16.5-17 gallons of useable fuel...

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo

Yaay, I did it! a 1000 mile tank!

Ok, its now 5 in a row:

21st June: 911.6 miles / 14.77 USgal = 61.7 mpUSg
06th July: 912.2 miles / 14.68 USgal = 62.1 mpUSg
22nd July: 916.5 miles / 14.59 USgal = 62.8 mpUSg
11th Aug : 934.5 miles / 14.89 USgal = 62.8 mpUSg
26th Aug : 1001 miles / 16.16 USgal = 61.9 mpUSg

This car is amazing.

I admit to some nervous tension this morning, and driving a slightly longer route to work via the fuel station, to *just* chalk up the 1000, phew.
In retrospect, I probably had close to a gallon still in the tank! so I worried for nothing.

cheers.

aggiegrad

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS TDI
I told gdr703 if he broke a thousand miles on a single tnk, I'd change the title of the thread, so here I am.

gdr, congrats on an amazing feat. You have the patience of a parent and the right foot of a ballerina. How did you do it? Drive around with a full glass of red wine on the dashboard? Put a rotten egg under the go pedal? Whatever your secret is, I want in.

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo

Yaay, I did it! another 1000 mile tank!

Ok, its now Six 900's in a row:
And Two 1000's in a row.

4th Sept : 1019 miles / 16.64 USgal = 61.3 mpUSg

This car is amazing.

I drove round Vancouver for a few days then we took a trip to the Okanagon for a few days. Vancouver to Okanagon is 260 miles. We went the old, slow, pretty road through Princeton, Keremeos to OK Falls. Then up through Penticton, Kelowna to Vernon for a 60th wedding party. (btw, beware of Ukranian parties). and back.
Made it back to Chilliwack, and filled up there.

This car is amazing.

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg

I drove round Vancouver for a few days then we took a trip to the Okanagon for a few days. Vancouver to Okanagon is 260 miles. We went the old, slow, pretty road through Princeton, Keremeos to OK Falls. Then up through Penticton, Kelowna to Vernon for a 60th wedding party. (btw, beware of Ukranian parties). and back.
Made it back to Chilliwack, and filled up there.

This car is amazing.
It's an amazing drove through that area of the Interior, isn't it? My kids live with their mother in Osoyoos so I drive the Hope-Princeton highway about every 5-6 weeks to visit them. Also, my sister moved to Kelowna a year ago and I drive up from Osoyoos through Penticton to visit when ever I can. I can honestly say that the only thing I dislike about driving through that area is the abundance of recreational vehicles that clog up the highways, especially when they don't allow faster traffic (everything short of bicycles!) to go around them! Other than that, it doesn't mtter whether it's Spring, Summer, Fall or Winter, it's got to be the most scenic drive in BC. If you happen to see a silver Bora TDI while driving through there next time, honk and wave!

TDI_Jeffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat, Black

Geesh, those number are pretty impressive. I'm in the 700 mile club and am trying just to make the 800 mile club. I'm almost trying to come up with a reason to take a long trip somewhere so I can rack up some highway miles.

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo
How did you do it? Drive around with a full glass of red wine on the dashboard? . .
Now there's a thought. . . . .

Its a 2 door Golf, 2002 vintage, Indigo.
no mods.
tires are aired up to the low 40's.
Obviously those are fully vented fills. I use Mohawk/Husky DieselMax which is an additised fuel. +3 cetane. I also use Racor Conditioner Plus, Howes, and KleenFlo Lubricant additives.
Engine oil is Esso XD3 0W30
Cruising on these highways is in the 55-65mph range. Slower round some of the hairpin bends between Manning Park and Princeton. I averaged 57 mph on the long run.
I drive up hills, and over-run down hills.
Vancouver is at sea level, top of Crowsnest highway is at 5,000(?)ft and OK Falls is at 1,000 ft above sea level.
I dont use the brakes, except when absolutely necessary.
I maximise the use of 5th gear, and will use a full right foot in 5th, rather than gear down.

have fun, and cheers!

daBooj

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, could only find silver
Please check with my application to the 900mile club posted in the Sept. mileage competition.

(perhaps I had 2 gallons to use in order to get that 1000 mile tank, but.... traffic was fierce this morning. Glad I filled first.)

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo

Ok, its now Seven 900's in a row:

26th Sept: 903 miles / 14.966 USgal = 60.3 mpUSg

This car is amazing.

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI

Well - I'm not too far off

880 miles on 15.538 gallons for 56.6 mpg - I am on pace to do this or better again and with a little more patience and confidence I know I could have reached 900 on my previous tank and maybe stretched it to 1000 (based on >17 gallon capacity).

My driving is 17 miles to work and then 17 miles home with a few misc errands and lunch outings mixed in. My average crusing speed is ~50 MPH when I'm not slowing down for a corner or taking off from one. There are no less than 19 opportunities to stop (corners or lights)in my 17 mile commute and on average I will hit half of them. I think that my driving is the biggest variable in my mileage as I used to get 47-48 regularly and have broken into the 50's consistently by changing my driving style only. My mods are not many, mainly open exhaust and tire pressures in the mid 40's (Good-For-A-Year LS No-Season 195/something/15's), otherwise stock (and the effect of those have been debated). I use Kwik Star fuel (no bio, no additives (yet)) and religously fill up at the same pump using the same nozzle facing the same direction to the same conditions so I have confidence in my fuel volume numbers. I tracked odometer mileage vs mile markers once for ~20 miles and was off by ~0.1 miles in 20 - given the resolution of the odometer and my errors. there might be a 0.5% error there, but I have not applied any correction factors to my mileages.

I think driving the same route helps me, I know which lights are slow, which ones are fast, which ones I can make it through and which ones I'll for sure have to stop for. I know which hills I can cost over and which ones I can't. I adjust my driving accordingly. There is one light at the top of a hill that I can see for ~1/2 mile, if I know that I will make it through the light I will turn off the enigine (then immedeately turn the key back on) coasting up the hill, go through the light at ~45 mph (in a 50 zone) and cost down the other side, if traffic allows (saftey first) I can make it through my next corner and to the next corner (where I must stop) before restarting the engine, all told that is ~ 1 mile consuming zero fuel. I keep the clutch in and transmission in 4th gear so if for some reason I should need to restart I just let the clutch out and the enigne is running.

It's amazing to see all the people who pass me (because I accelerate slowly from the stops that I do have to make) be right in front of me at one of the next couple corners/lights. Once you get over the psychological hurdle of driving faster in city/suburban areas does not get you anywhere any quicker (although it is more fun, but so is 56+ MPG in city driving if you are reading this), the rest is easy. My net contribution to saving fuel is probably reduced due to all the fuel people use passing me with their foot to the floor (at least two per trip!) but they are to busy being in a hurry to realize that they are not getting anywhere any faster than I am. Unless you are driving in open country (interstate or not), the lights/corners/other traffic will slow you up sometime. This applies to any vehicle, not just TDI's. I guess I need to make a trip on the open road sometime to check my highway mileage again (50 mpg is my best so far). Highway mileage seems to be dependant on the speed you drive and the wind and much less on drivig style/habits. The faster you drive or the windier it is, the worse mileage you will get on a long sustained trip.

TheCheat

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta tdi 5m (227k), 04 jetta wagon 5m (293k)

I'm gonning for 900 in my PD. I;m at 686 right now...3/8 tank showing. I think I can do it.

watercop

Veteran Member

By driving gently, you also save yourself a great deal of powertrain wear. All the parts that move or turn are big bucks to replace, so that by avoiding hard stops, starts and turns you are greatly extending the time before failure of high dollar components including brakes, clutch, tranny, power steering pump, alternator, water pump, AC compressor, tires and engine internals.

I do try to remember to wind the engine out to about 3k rpm, typically on an onramp / accelleration lane in 4th gear about every thousand miles to stroke the turbo vanes and otherwise blow the dust out of everything. Aside from that, I just poke along...

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI

Well, kind of. I do take corners as fast/safe/smooth as possible when possible to carry speed through the corners so as not to have to accelerate again. This is decidely hard on my tires and somewhat of my rationalization for wanting to get a rear sway bar (to make the rear tires wear as fast as the front ones due to the shiplike understear of these cars). The other items I am probably reducing the life of is the starter and clutch due to keying off the engine during my trips. If you put it in the right gear for your speed and get the feel for it, it does not "feel" any worse on the clutch than a moderate shift, but the loading on it is reversed from normal which may fatigue things quicker. I'm not too concerned about the starter, it looks pretty easy to get at and probably not that expensive (relative to clutches/engines/turbos/etc).

There is always an argument regarding $/mile or MPG, rarely will you get back in MPG what you spend to improve it unless you are putting 7,000 miles a month on like Thermographer (short of buying a TDI versus an 8 MPG truck and even then it takes a while).

Fix_Until_Broke

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03 Jetta, 03 TT TDI

Well, I have not been able to prove it, but I believe/know I can make 900 miles on a tank - I just had my 2nd in a row tank at 56.6 (880.6 mi/15.569 gal). I have some driving to do with the family tomorrow so I had to fill up tonight. If I run out or have to use the can in the trunk no big deal, but not with the family along trying to get to the airport.

I want 1.000 miles/60 MPG so bad...I might be able to get another 1 mpg in driving style, but I'm already pretty conservative (see above posts). Might be the best I can do given my travels.

daBooj

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta GLS, 2004, could only find silver

Please find my first post in the months mileage competition as my application to the 1000 mile club.

Could have made it 1065, but was tired and only drove around the block once (filled up at 12:55 last night).

I think I will be making something like 25 of the bumper stickers mentioned in the help me make a thousand mile tank thread. PM me if you want one(will need your address). post here if you think it should read differently.

would read:

<center>member
60mpg, 1,000 m.p.t. club
-TDIClub.com-</center>

gdr703

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2 door 2002 Indigo

Ok, now its Eight 900's in a row:

26th Sept: 903 miles / 14.966 USgal = 60.3 mpUSg
12th Oct : 950 miles / 15.363 USgal = 61.8 mpUSg

This car is amazing.

I suppose that last tank might have become a 1000 miler, except that I had other priorities on my mind.
Hindsight is a wonderful thing!

Nash_TDI

Veteran Member -TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2000 Silver Jetta TDI

Does 1000.6 miles count on 15.82 gallons count? I think that is 63.2 mpg. I think I drove 205 miles before the needle moved and at half-a-tank I had 570 miles. The second half I drove mostly mixed driving with 10 mile commutes to and from school. The light came on at 924 miles and when I filled up I still only squeezed 15.8 gallons in. I would like to maybe get 1100 miles some time this fall maybe with some additive and more highway miles. I wonder if 70 mpg is possible?