Omg Horrible mileage.. Sad face

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
2002 golf 5 speed 59k miles. First tank 32mpg
Next tank straight on the freeway 75 mph average straight away no hills to speak of. Burned through 3/4 tank already and I have only gone 300 miles

WTH?!
Help!!

cleaver

Veteran Member
TDI
None - did own '01 and '02 Jetta TDI
2002 with only 60k miles...could be lots of reasons why your mileage is so low.

Could be driver issues (slightly heavy pedal foot will kill your mileage).
Could be a coked up turbo/egr/etc - might need a good cleaning to get your engine/turbo breathing correctly
Could be a bad MAF
Could be a plugged air filter or snow screen

all (and more) will cause your mileage to drop...

is this car new to you? Have you verified anything on the car using VCDS?

eb2143

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None
I don't think I could drive my '01 5 spd down to 32 mpg outside of a racetrack or driving like a maniac in a city for an entire tank. I would be checking for dragging caliper/parking brake first.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
The 02 auto trans has been at 32+-mpg all winter.
Short hops, 4 studded snows, winter fuel, very cold temps, partially stuck turbo actuator, maybe a dragging brake and of course the 01m trans all contribute to poor FE.

2many diesels

Veteran Member
TDI
rabbit pickup 1z swap Audi A4 Quattro ALH. 02 Beetle TDI. 99 Golf TDI. 03 Wagon TDI. 914 Porsche ALH t
Or....

Winter fuel

No winter fuel here in the bay area. I'm not sure California gets it at all.
At least not #1. As far as additive packages, they don't tell us.

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Pretty much everywhere gets winter fuel. You can easily drive from the bay area to the mountains on a tank.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I've never seen below 40 in my wagon on winter fuel. Something's very wrong with that car. Bad MAF, clogged intake, turbo not boosting, fuel leak, or all of the above.

The worst full tank economy I've ever seen in my wagon is 38. Once driving to PA into 60 MPH winds at 80 MPH, and the other time driving through Wyoming with similar winds.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
More info...

What ratio city/hwy?
Car stock?
Run well?
Any other symptoms like low power, sluggish starts, etc.?
Is this car new to you? (sounds like it)
Any history on the PO, service records?

That said, 32 is pretty low for a stock ALH. Even 100% city driving you should be around 40 mpg, IMO. If you can schedule a visit to a 'guru' and get a overall checkup (including VCDS session), I'd sure do that. Could have a clogged intake, sticky turbo, gummed up fuel system, etc. At 59k and 14 years, timing belt should definitely be looked into. 60k was the interval for that year and the million dollar question is if it's EVER been changed. Not necessarily a mileage issue but an important one.

More specific info would help and find a guru if possible. An overall health check is a good idea as low mileage could be due to air, fuel, timing, exhaust or any combo of them.

Edit: Sorry, by the time I posted this, IBW had already said much the same stuff... Lesson learned, don't stop to make coffee while posting.

Last edited:

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Can you believe the OP started yet another thread? The other thread explains what was actually going on. (he has a fuel leak)
I asked a mod to combine the two threads.

Bill

joep1234

Veteran Member
TDI
former '04 Beetle TDI, now 2x '15 Audi Q5 TDI's, 2007 Dodge Ram 4x4 6.7
Stuck open t-stat?

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Can you believe the OP started yet another thread? The other thread explains what was actually going on. (he has a fuel leak)

Bill
Gee Bill, you always seem to have a problem with me. Why do you even bother wasting your obviously precious time in responding? Im sorry I reposted in another forum. To me they were from two different perspectives with the first one ( this thread) was done out of :eek: while on the road and not being able to really type on the phone while driving.

The second post ( the one you whined and complained about) was when I could get back home, find a better area to post in once I started to have a better inkling as to what was perhaps the problem and have a real keyboard to type on.

If you dont like me Bill, thats OK, please feel free to go about your business while staying out of mine. Have an awesome day!

MODS, feel free to delete this post
Pete

FlyingFin

Veteran Member
TDI
A4 Avant AFN
to me they were from two different perspectives with the first one ( this thread) was done out of :eek: while on the road and not being able to really type on the phone while driving.

I am shocked and at the same time horrified by that statement!!

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
meaning I couldnt sit and type forever on an iphone to detail what I went into in the other post..

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
Gee Bill, you always seem to have a problem with me. Why do you even bother wasting your obviously precious time in responding? Im sorry I reposted in another forum. To me they were from two different perspectives with the first one ( this thread) was done out of :eek: while on the road and not being able to really type on the phone while driving.
The second post ( the one you whined and complained about) was when I could get back home, find a better area to post in once I started to have a better inkling as to what was perhaps the problem and have a real keyboard to type on.
If you dont like me Bill, thats OK, please feel free to go about your business while staying out of mine. Have an awesome day!
MODS, feel free to delete this post
Pete
You do understand that I asked the mods to combine your two threads in an attempt to help you get your car fixed, right?

Either way, I sincerely hope you get some help that you find acceptable.

Bill

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI

Bill

the first part of your reply set the tone... Not sure why people feel the need to just attack.. I did nothing to you or say anything to you.

40X40

Experienced
TDI
2013 Passat SEL Premium
the first part of your reply set the tone... Not sure why people feel the need to just attack.. I did nothing to you or say anything to you.

(FACEPALM) I did nothing to you either.

Do you know how to report a post? If you really think I attacked you, report the post that made you feel that way.

I'm done with you, think whatever you like.

Bill

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Multiple postings on the same issue are frowned upon. You should have just continued in your other thread until fixed. I wouldn't expect very good mileage when you are "averaging" 75 mph.

FlyTDI Guy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS
I think we already have the answer. A leaking pump will cause mileage to plummet. Mine did until I fixed it. 75 doesn't help either.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
Sad to say, you are correct :( I just confirmed it last night, the fuel pump IS leaking something fierce... Now if I could only figure out where... and why... Damn pump looks brand new, as it should for having only 60K miles on it..

JDSwan87

Black Swamp Thing
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI, 5 speed Lagoon Blue Metallic(sold); 2005 Jetta TDI Wagon auto
Looks can be deceiving... With that low of miles the seals might have began to dry out.

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
Can anyone recommend a guru in the SF bay area that is available asap?

Thanks
Pete

SFHGolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jolf GLS TDI - Reflex Silver (purchased 2011) | Previously: 2001 Golf GL TDI - Indigo Blue (sold 2005)

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
Pete, contact Matt-98AHU and he'll get you taken care of. He had stopped taking work for a while, but I think he is free again now that he no longer works for the dealership.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=43341

Thanks Thats what Justin told me as well, left him a message today and a text.. hopefully he will respond in time. Ill send him a message through here as well