If diesel hits below $2?

Stimulacra

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Long shot I'm sure but I saw regular unleaded out in the suburbs at $2.20.

When unleaded was north of $3 and trending towards $4 going the diesel route made a ton of sense but with fuel prices plummeting and people becoming nostalgic for Hummers, Tahoes, and other full sized SUVs, the additional costs to go the TDI route (in addition to the increased maintenance cost) starts to make less and less sense.

I was curious to know if anyone knows what the inflection point is fuel cost wise in terms of choosing between the gasser and TDI option?

I'm not going to trade in my Passat TDI any time soon but will probably postpone or rethink upgrading to the upcoming Sportwagen TDI.

Also what I find interesting with the renewed interest in gas guzzlers is how mentally fixed people are with their monthly or annual fuel costs; when gas prices go up, they downsize to fuel efficient rides, when it goes back down, they start test driving the latest SUV before the dust settles…

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I've been driving little VAG diesels since the late '80s, when gasoline and diesel both were around $1/gal. And I will continue to laugh at people who squirm at fuel prices at the pump, and leverage what vehicle they will choose to own based on that.

Being efficient is just smart, no matter the scale.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
When I bought my first diesel, gasoline was up to $.69/gallon and everyone was complaining about the price. I used to go to a Iranian-owned station in LA that had diesel for $.32.

I like driving diesels. I honestly don't care how much fuel costs, I won't switch. Heating my house is another matter: I like to see heating oil costs go down. That's a bigger expense, anyway.

I don't think Americans are obsessed with monthly fuel costs. I honestly don't think most people have a clue. They react to lower prices and buy SUVs without doing any of the math. But they will complain when gasoline goes back to $4 a gallon. And it will.

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
I've been driving little VAG diesels since the late '80s, when gasoline and diesel both were around $1/gal. And I will continue to laugh at people who squirm at fuel prices at the pump, and leverage what vehicle they will choose to own based on that.
Being efficient is just smart, no matter the scale
This. Just drive what you like. Who really cares if diesel is $1-$1.20 more? Its still roughly the same price it was during summer! Nobody was complaining then. RUG is more expensive in the summer months. Guess what that's a more active time of the year and people on average drive more. Ive said it before I enjoy the stability of diesel prices. I know roughly how much fills my tank every time.

Stimulacra

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
This. Just drive what you like. Who really cares if diesel is $1-$1.20 more? Its still roughly the same price it was during summer! Nobody was complaining then. RUG is more expensive in the summer months. Guess what that's a more active time of the year and people on average drive more. Ive said it before I enjoy the stability of diesel prices. I know roughly how much fills my tank every time.
If it sounded like I was complaining, that wasn't my intent. I was just curious what others thought about the recent decline in fuel prices overall.

When I bought my TDI in 2011, for the most part I was hedging on $4/gallon fuel costs becoming the norm and the Passat TDI was the only large sedan that offered anything close to 10¢ / mile fuel costs.

Prior to that I had a turbocharged/AWD hatchback (Saab 92X Aero) that returned 18 MPG on premium. With a 50 mile daily commute it was making a serious dent in my household budget.

If it helps, I live in Houston, Texas… anytime oil dips below $60/barrel it definitely becomes a huge topic of conversation.

kpgubert

TDI
2009 Jetta TDI
My opinion is that the prices the United States are currently seeing for diesel fuel is a more accurate representation of the world market fuel prices. I think there is a LOT of politics involved in the current prices of gasoline. I think that sooner or later, whether it's next summer or the one after, gasoline prices will see a huge spike. Diesel will see likely less than $0.50.

One of the things I really do like about driving a diesel(s) is there is no playing games. For example, it doesn't matter if you fill up on Monday or Friday; It doesn't matter is you buy from the Shell by the expressway or the Mobil closer to town. There are exceptions, but diesel prices are more stable across the board.

Dirtracr95

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Sedan DSG
One of the things I really do like about driving a diesel(s) is there is no playing games. For example, it doesn't matter if you fill up on Monday or Friday; It doesn't matter is you buy from the Shell by the expressway or the Mobil closer to town. There are exceptions, but diesel prices are more stable across the board.
This is what I mean. The only thing I have to do is not fill up in chicago. There are some stations that are way over $4 /gal. Suburbs are between $3.59-3.79

OP I didn't mean to imply that you were complaining. I just see alot of threads recently with people cursing diesel for gas being cheaper.

Your saabaru should have gotten closer to 20-21mpg was it stock? (Sorry off topic)

Stimulacra

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Your saabaru should have gotten closer to 20-21mpg was it stock? (Sorry off topic)
Yes, bone stock car. I drove it hard though. Definitely a hoot to drive.

I would fill it up every 230-240 miles (essentially every two and a half days) and it would be about 12 or 13 gallons of premium each time. This was before Fuelly but I kept a fuel log (notebook).

With the Passat I get my kicks via drafting, hypermiling and trying to brake as little as possible during my commute. Not as much fun but it keeps me occupied :)

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf(Summer) 2003 Golf(Winter)
Diesel prices suck. Right now, diesel in my neck of the woods works out to 4.56$/gallon, CDN$. Gas is 3.56$/gal. Diesel prices have been skewed since 2004.

Still worth driving a TDI. It's just a different machine than a gas burner :)

And the prices we're all seeing, being lower, won't last.

DieselBruce

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 jetta tdi
Diesel prices suck. Right now, diesel in my neck of the woods works out to 4.56$/gallon, CDN$. Gas is 3.56$/gal. Diesel prices have been skewed since 2004.

Still worth driving a TDI. It's just a different machine than a gas burner :)

And the prices we're all seeing, being lower, won't last.
That is not fun having that big of a price difference. I just filled up at $3.09 diesel, RUG was I think around 2.65?

duwem

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf GLS TDI 5 Speed
I have had my TDI for 3 years and the cheaperst its ever been is now at 3.70 something.

It hovered around 3.84 for almost a whole year and went over $4 for a bit.

2 bucks is a wet dream.

D_Squared

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf 2D 6M
I have had my TDI for 3 years and the cheaperst its ever been is now at 3.70 something.

It hovered around 3.84 for almost a whole year and went over $4 for a bit.

2 bucks is a wet dream.

It's down to 3.39 down here duwem. I think I saw 3.29 just south of Fond du Lac

agood214

TDI
2010 Jetta
I've had since 2010 a Jetta TDI, very few of the months did diesel prices become lower that RUG. I would love to see it dip.

From what I am reading diesel will stay up to a dollar more per gallon that gas.
Factors are:
~32 percent of Diesel is being exported to other markets.
Increased oil production in the US, means more rigs, generators and diesel trucks in the oil producing states.
An essentially inelastic supply - 4.7 million or so in refinery capacity means that as more demand is made, prices will climb.
Auto manufacturers adding more models, but the refineries not adding significant capacity.

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
My last two fill ups I've paid $3.09 and $3.11.

I suppose if you are buying new, then really low prices might be a bit of a deterrent. But low fuel prices drop the value of used diesel vehicles, so the more prices fall, the better off you are.

TomJD

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI GLS, 2015 Golf TDI
Being efficient is just smart, no matter the scale.
I always think that if a $.10 change in fuel at the pump breaks the bank...well you have bigger issues to worry about.

Mike in Anchorage

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Touareg Lux, 2015 Golf Sportwagen SE, new 4 Sept 2017;2009 VW Jetta TDI Sportwagen (Ruby) sold to VW on 22 SEP 2017
Find what your diesel saves with respect to the gasser you would drive. Possibly 25 - 30%. So when diesel is about that amount over the cost of a gallon of gas you would use [some need premium] you're at the 'no gain' point.

Stimulacra

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI SE
Today I saw RUG at $2.09 and Diesel at $3.09.

I'm not sweating it too much either way. The idea of possibly fueling up the TDI for under two $20 bills sounds kind of neat. Right now as it is my monthly fuel costs hovers between $100 - 150.

If what someone said about low oil prices depressing the market of used TDIs I might pay more attention to the late model Touareg TDIs. :)

psd1

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta 2013 Passat SE 6Man
I've had since 2010 a Jetta TDI, very few of the months did diesel prices become lower that RUG. I would love to see it dip.

From what I am reading diesel will stay up to a dollar more per gallon that gas.
Factors are:
~32 percent of Diesel is being exported to other markets.
Increased oil production in the US, means more rigs, generators and diesel trucks in the oil producing states.
An essentially inelastic supply - 4.7 million or so in refinery capacity means that as more demand is made, prices will climb.
Auto manufacturers adding more models, but the refineries not adding significant capacity.
Unless, OPEC floods the market with cheap (less than $50 a barrel) crude to drive the US out of the oil making business...:eek:

Lincoln

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6 Speed MT
Everyone flips out over such small differences. Even a big spread like now doesn't result in a big advantage to gassers. Example: Driving 15000 miles/yr, at 45 mpg and $4/gal a TDI owner will spend $1333 on fuel. Driving the same miles at 35 mpg and $3/gal a gasser owner will spend $1286 on gas. <$50 spread over the course of a year is hardly worth getting all excited about. Particularly since gas is likely to come back up and close that gap (it's ALWAYS lower in winter, though of course it is exceptionally low right now).

Note: Even if gas was the same price as diesel, the gasser would only cost $1714/yr, or $428 more than now. Slightly bigger delta, but not enough to justify one car over another by itself.

Regarding the original question of the inflection point, it all depends on your particular situation (what specific vehicles/mileages are you comparing? how does your driving style circumstances impact the EPA estimated #s? how many miles do you drive each year?). No one can answer for you.

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
As if. [finger] (at oil companies )

This means a corolla is costing less to run than my TDI.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I drove my Golf about 250 miles today, the MFI shows 51.5 MPG. It typically reads about 1.5-2 MPG high. Diesel around here is about $3.39, RUG about 2.79. If my math is right (always suspect) a gasser would have to get 40 MPG to match the cost per mile of my TDI. I doubt a 1.8T would do that in today's drive which included highway speeds between 60-80, some traffic, some idling, and 25-35 degree weather. And snow tires.

CourierGuy

Veteran Member
TDI
I don't think I'd consider a 1.8t an economy car which is what our TDIs are... No?

That's why I'm comparing my horrendous diesel prices to gas on a corolla.

My area's current price difference is 30% premium on diesel vs gas. That sucks.

Just because I LOVE corolla drivers :)

8v-of-fury

Haha Canada problems.. Diesel is down a huge chunk and it is still $4/gal when converted for you mericans.

Regular is like $3/gal and it hasn't been that low since like.. 1984?

hfnut

TDI
2012 Golf TDI
Look Up!

Forget about diesel & gasoline prices! Jet A is down about 31% compared to one year ago but have airline tickets fallen? Nope!....and I spend far more on airfares than I do on ground transportation fuel.

rentstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, 05, platnum
I saw diesel today for 2.69 today. I didn't see the cost of gas. It did look like a run down gas station in the middle of nowhere. They might be dropping the price so they can get some treated fuel for when winter hits. I still wouldn't get that cheap of fuel though. To me I feel if the fuel is that cheap I will have problem later, gelling, dirty filters