Malone Stage 1 vs. GDE Eco tunes for best MPG's

diesel_fan77

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (auto)
Just put in my order for GDE's loader with the ECO/Hot tunes today.........I will report back soon on my experience!!!!!

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
Here is my experience for the GDE Eco tune on for a 2004 Passat Wagon (manual transmission):

"Short Data analysis and possible conclusions: if I compare my Fuelly tank to tank entries I gained around 6% MPG going from TDTuning to GDE (~34 to 36.5 MPG overall actual mileage)."

Passat Wagon (BHW) 5MT long term 100% city data set with GDE tune

I presume that if I had started from stock one (not available in North America for a B5.5 manual transmission) my gain might have been larger.

TheBender

TDI
05 Golf TDI
I bought a GDE tune for my 05 Golf PD manual. Before the tune, the average over 8633 miles was 44.39 MPG, and after the tune the average over 15305 miles was 49.83 MPG. I'm happy with a 5.44 MPG increase! Even if the payoff takes forever the car is much more enjoyable to drive. The mileage this winter took a hit so the average has been creeping back up now. My last tank was a record at 867 miles, 55 MPG! I could have hit 900 miles since the light came on at 853 miles. Next winter I plan on installing a winter front. The car didn't come with a belly pan so I bought one and will be installing soon. Hopefully this will also help the mileage.

diesel_fan77

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon (auto)
Well, my first tank with the tuner was installed after 300mi had already been posted. Didn't bother to refill. Was over 50mpg for the very first time ever. Pretty easy estimate of at least 52mpg from the time tune was installed till refuel. I'll know more on this tank, as the entire time will be driven with the Eco tune loaded into ECM

Last edited:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Here is a chart that I made (October 2012) after spending some time to collect data from this site and from Fuelly for owners of TDis with GDE tunes:

ezshift5

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW TDI (Enroute BB).......2017 Jetta 1.4 turbo 5M ....................
...that's an impressive array of tabular data from SE Texas........

Using the lowest gain amount (4.17) would provide me just under 46 MPG

However, the current generation TDI is conspicuous in its' absence.

Very positive display nonwithstanding!

ez sends

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
Thanks. Actually the owners are not in a specific geographic location as far as I remember.

Correct, no CR TDIs and none expected in the foreseeable future ...

...that's an impressive array of tabular data from SE Texas........

Using the lowest gain amount (4.17) would provide me just under 46 MPG

However, the current generation TDI is conspicuous in its' absence.

Very positive display nonwithstanding!

ez sends

logdrum

TDI
2003 New Beetle GLS; 2003 Jetta Wagon; 2006 Jetta
I know old thread but not too old. For me the GDE is better option than sending the ECU unless you are near Kerma (great guys BTW). Yeah 700 is steep but for folks that can't really block the EGR themselves or fear sending an ECU in the mail, I think it is a good option. I bought a Jeep Liberty with it and it makes a lot of difference for that platform almost a necessity. I now have a PD wagon and having one on it really makes a difference in the feel of the car. The extra 30 lb/ft torque is really palpable.

But the reason I got it is for the EGR bypass and less soot in the oil. The increase mpg, power and torque is a plus.

My 2 other ALHs are old now (230 and 310K miles ) and with all the scrapes and dings, I am just driving them to die.

SnowCub

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 S350 BlueTec
Logdrum,

Thank you for your post. I'm actually subscribed to this thread and got your update this morning. I've been on the fence for a long time about getting a tune for my MB CDI. Lately, I've really wanted one to shut off the EGR. I emailed RocketChip but no response. I contacted a local tuner who had my car listed on his website, BrenTuning, but got a reply that they never tuned a diesel and didn't want to use me as a guinea pig. I think GDE will be the folks I go with.

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D
Logdrum,
Thank you for your post. I'm actually subscribed to this thread and got your update this morning. I've been on the fence for a long time about getting a tune for my MB CDI. Lately, I've really wanted one to shut off the EGR. I emailed RocketChip but no response. I contacted a local tuner who had my car listed on his website, BrenTuning, but got a reply that they never tuned a diesel and didn't want to use me as a guinea pig. I think GDE will be the folks I go with.

Jarek, JR Tuning. info@chiptuning.ca. He is a MB expert.