Ball joint boot polyurethane upgrade?

Noseve

TDI
Golf Plus 1.9 2008
Hi All
Golf front ball joint boot has failed MOT (no longer prevents the ingress of dirt), and I have heard of some polyurethane replacement boots, which should be more resilient.
An anti-roll bar linkage ball joint also failed with identical symptoms.
Two questions, please, relating to either/both components - has anybody fitted these polyurethane boots?; what sizes will be required for 2008 Golf Plus 1.9TDi?
All thoughts welcome.

soot1

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none. Formerly: 2010 VW Jetta TDI 6M, 1993 Dodge Ram W250 Cummins 5M 4WD, 1990 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1986 VW Jetta Diesel 5M, 1980 VW Uabbit Diesel 4M. Currently driving 2018 Toyota 4Runner SR5 4WD.
Why do you want to mess with replacing the boot alone when you really need to replace the entire ball joint? If the boot failed, the joint will be contaminated with sand and road grime, and it will wear out very quickly, so replacing the boot will not extend the life of that part by much. My suggestion is to buy an OEM ball joint, replace it and be done.

dubsport inc

TDI
2010 CR Jetta
Agreed^.... the failure rate is fairly low and the prices are good on aftermarket.... by the time you take the time to try to reboot it you could replace it!

Noseve

TDI
Golf Plus 1.9 2008
I wasn't clear

Thanks for all replies.
It was not about money, or the effort and time involved - I thought that polyurethane would be more resilient, and was considering going around the car, upgrading each ball joint.
Time of year being what it is, having to do any repair work outside, I am awaiting the new joints before popping them on.
If anybody has experience of the polyurethane boots I would still like to hear from them. Thanks.