Start Up Problem(Researched Site for Answers)

Mmobley15

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Looked around a bit for an answer before bothering the forums. So, cold start has been giving my some issues. Turn key, engine rolls and rolls but no start. Release key, turn again and car starts up like it was nothing. Once engine starts, I get a nice cloud of white smoke that smells pretty damn bad(assuming all the fuel). Just curious if there’s some sort of stupid easy fix(because that’s a thing) such as glow plugs or something. No coolant leaks and I can’t really tell if I’m losing oil. I take it if it’s some sort of gasket issue, I would’ve noticed a difference on the dip stick. If it matters, it’s a 2011 MK6 TDI hitting close to 180,000 miles.

dervdave

TDI
Toyota Hilux 3.0d / Golf mk7 GTD
Could be glow plugs, try preheating a few times before starting.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Must be a new tdi owner, also how cold does it get in Tampa FL that you need glow plugs? Must be why there is issues.

If you turn the key it will start to warm the plugs' turn it all the way and it will start. Wait for the glow plug light to go off before starting.
Reading your owners manual will be a night and day difference for you to understand how and what a car is and does.

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Try turning on the ignition and wait several seconds after the GP light goes out. I'm not familiar with the 2011 pre-glow endurance, but my MKIV pre-glow last ~23 seconds. I usually wait 10 seconds after the light goes out before starting.

Mmobley15

TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen
Wouldn’t really say I’m new to it. I’ve owned it since 2015 and been through hell and back to keep it on the road. Doesn’t get all that cold here either which is why I wondered a bit about it. I understand the procedure and what the purpose is for glow plugs. Had the VW up in KY in 20 degree weather and did the whole wait for light to go away and it started with just a turn. I wanna say mornings here lately have only been around 60 degrees. The glow plug light turns off within seconds before I even twist the key. But this is constant. It turns over and over and absolutely nothing. I stop, turn the key again and starts up like nothing happened and runs as perfect as it did back in 2015. Besides the white puff of smoke out the rear.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Might have a small fuel leak. Once the lift pump does its thing's it turns on maybe. 60 is no where near cold enough to think about needing glow plugs to start cold lol.