New Beetle electrical problem

GrowlerDad

TDI
2000 Beetle, 2002 Jetta
Hi All!
My name is Chuck, GrowlerDad because I am Growler's Dad. I'm new to the Forum and I have an electrical problem on a 2000 Beetle TDI. For those of you who know Growler, the car is the original Growler modified by my son. The electrical issue I have is that none of the accessories work. Engine starts and runs ok headlights and running lights along with the fog lights do not work. No turn signal or wipers, but the windows (electric) and remote key work. Heater fan is dead, and the AC switch doesn't work but emergency flashers DO work. This all started after getting new keys for the car and getting a stage 2 rocket chip tune with an immobilizer disable and egr delete. I removed the lens on the front of the console to put RTV on the immobilizer light and sometime after doing that, everything quit. All the fuses on top of the battery are good. I checked the power strip below the relays and everything has power except the furthest left lug (marked 75x) which used to have accessory power on it I believe and now is completely dead (no voltage with the key on and engine running). could it be as simple as a bad ignition switch or is there a relay that could be bad? I know that this is a long post and I apologize. Please Help! I miss my Beetle. Thanks All!

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Ignition switch is what it sounds like to me.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I know the mechanicals but wiring issues on these cars are not my cup of tea.

we were leaning toward the Ignition switch, but wanted to post this here to get more eyes on the problem.

Anyone else have any thoughts?

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
For sure, Ignition switch, - On a Beetle, the switch wiring harness is in a very tight space with a pretty good bend on it, it gets hot and actually darkens the plastic casing on the wiring. It's not a good design, never see it happen on a Jetta or Golf as they don't have the same space constraints.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Ignition switch connector and harness. Common. Take the steering column covers off and have a look.

GrowlerDad

TDI
2000 Beetle, 2002 Jetta
Thanks to everyone who replied! Looks like my problem is an ignition switch (grin). Just ordered one today. Will get it in as soon as it arrives! Thanks again to everyone!
GrowlerDad

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
Can you post the results of what you fixed and how you went about it? I heard it is working good now.

GrowlerDad

TDI
2000 Beetle, 2002 Jetta
Once again thanks to all who helped. The Beetle is once again running correctly. It wasn't Just the ignition switch. The main power lead for the accessories was also burnt up. The wiring harness plug had melted and the connector to the ignition switch had been arcing and had melted the connector around it. I was able to cut the old connector out of the plug and replace it with a high quality 10 gauge connector and about a 2" piece of wire. I was able to feed the new wire through the connector. splice it onto the old wire and plug it into the new ignition switch.. I wish I had taken a few pictures but it was very cold outside and I wasn't thinking about that. Sorry

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
We love our VWs but wiring ain't their strong suit. Always the first thing to check when troubleshooting these older cars.

Addamsonflint

TDI
1999.5 Jetta
Hey Growler, do you still work on TDI's? I live in Kirkersville and could really use some skills eyes. Please let me know! My cell is 614-845-0123.

Thanks!