HELP?! -p0135 / p0299 - 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI

05TurboWagon

TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 1.9TDI
Well, I thought I was going to introduce myself by throwing up some pics of my first TDI... guess I'm asking for help instead.
I bought a 2005 Jetta Wagon TDI about two weeks ago. Everything seemed gravy. The turbo was replaced at 260K, it currently has 322K.
Yesterday, as I left work, I heard a small popping sound followed by the care going into, I believe, limp home mode. The care will not go above 2.5k rpm in any gear and has zilch for power. I have a bluetooth ODB2 scanner. Both p0135 and p0299 popped at the same time. My initial fear was that the turbo popped; however, I wondered if a bad O2 sensor/wiring would cause the jetta to go into Limp Home.
So far I have found two fuse boxes, one under the hood on top of the battery, and another between the dash and driver's side door. I have read that there is a fuse and relay for the heated o2 sensor; however, i have yet to find where the relay and fuse are. I do not have a shop manual, yet, nor do I have a vag-com which I was told I should really get.
I also read that I should replace all of the vacuum lines. I will be picking up line from Oreilly's this afternoon as a stopgap measure until I can order in some Samco thick walled silicon hose, which is what seems to be the recommend hose to use.
Is there anything else I should check or a direction I should go in? I'd rather not take shots in the dark and replace the o2 sensor and turbo without puting them both through the paces. Unfortunately, this is my first jetta and I do not know what those paces are, other than testing the o2 sensor itself and testing for 12 volt, then replacing vac lines.
Please help! I have been searching the forum for most of the night, but haven't quite found what I think I would need.
05TurboWagon:confused:

05TurboWagon

TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 1.9TDI
Check the air filter and duct to make sure not clogged.
I will check this as soon as I get home. I'm not new to automotive, but without buying a manual and diag system, I kinda feel like I've been caught with my pants down. Trial by fire are always best? lol

JB05

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Golf,2005,anthracite blue
Sounds like a boost leak. Check all boost hose connections, including the lower one connected to the inter cooler down below. Otherwise, welcome to Fred's.

SilverGhost

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Golf - totaled :(, wife's '13 Beetle - buy back, TDIless
On the PD TDI first thing I would be checking after "a popping sound" is the clip together boost hoses. The one at the intake manifold has a habit of getting worn and sloppy after many miles of typical diesel rattle. Also charge air hoses into and out of charge air cooler and turbo. Don't forget to check for split hose (specially on this high of mileage).

Sudden loss of power, limp mode, DTCs - suspect boost leak, most likely a large one.

Jason

PS: have never seen a HO2 sensor do anything to drive-ability on these older cars.

05TurboWagon

TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 1.9TDI
Hey peeps. I wanted to say thank you to everyone that put out info for me. I went through vacuum setup, good. Proper vacuum is there. I got to a point where I was at a loss, so took the jetta to a good diesel/vw mech in town. He charged me a little over 100 bucks to run diagnostics and take look at what was going on. The turbo is blowing oil. The intercooler and associated hoses had a crap ton of oil in it. At this point, I need a new turbo. Thanks guys, I'm going to post in the appropriate forum to help with that debacle.

05TurboWagon

TDI
05 Jetta Wagon 1.9TDI
So, After a few months I finally got my Jetta Situation resolved. My turbo ended up being jacked. It was all coked up with oil sludge and other crap. The seals blew and the bearings locked up. I am going to keep it for a rebuild as a spare turbo. I ended up replacing it with a Garrett VNT-17 from IDParts. Afterwards, I saw that KermaTDI had a Borg Warner S7 upgrade. At this point, I don't know if I made a mistake in my selection, but it is what it is at this point. Thank you for the advice everyone gave me. While I was at it, I changed out the oil feed line with a braided line (that made the install so much easier), and changed the oil/filter, fuel filter, air filter, cabin filter, and a few other minor things. She runs so much better now. I just wish the VNT-17 had a little more turbo whine when spooling. I miss that sound of the old turbo. lol